Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business” as Want to Read:
Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,587 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Reviews Anyone who is serious about coaching Kanban as a method for organizational change should read this book. It will allow you to avoid some likely pitfalls and it will guide you to asking, yourself and your clients, the right questions. Though many people focus on the visualization techniques in Kanban the true value only emerges when you, as a kanban system manager, ...more
Paperback, 262 pages
Published April 7th 2010 by Blue Hole Press
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Kanban, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kanban

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.97  · 
Rating details
 ·  2,587 ratings  ·  113 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Andrew
This is a game changer. Agile is a culture, and it has frameworks such as XP, Crystal, and Scrum that are superb at handling software development projects with a clearly defined goal.

But they are not so good at handling support and maintenance work - the stream of random sized bits and pieces. What do you do if that's a major portion of your day-to-day work?

David Anderson has laid out his experience in how to use a very different approach to make workloads visible, limit what's in progress to ex
...more
Robert Church
Hi. I'm a software developer. I've been writing software professionally for more than 15 years now. One of my favorite books about the practice of software development for business is Extreme Programming Explained by Kent Beck , which refreshingly upended a lot of conventional wisdom about software development, focusing effort on activities that add value for customers. In the intervening years, many of the practices promoted in that book have become commonplace, mostly notably test driven devel ...more
Artem Huletski
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Несколько полезных идей есть, но о них скучно читать, нужно пробовать на практике. В остальном такие книги выглядят как вода-вода-вода-используйте стикеры разного цвета-а вот мы в 2005 году добились таких цифр!-спринты-agile-кайдзен-вода.
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could feel my brain getting bigger while I read this book. I agree with the author when he claims that Kanban is the first real major innovation in Agile Software Development in 10 years. This book gave me enough new ideas that I can't wait to get back to work to implement them!
Eugene Griaznov
К огромному сожалению всего двойка. Три звезды – это уже "like it". Не могу сказать, что ай лайк ит эт ол! Большое разочарование.
Книга хоть и разбита на главы, но материал подаётся, как одна большая простыня. Без какой-то схемы, как я привык, будучи инженером. Каша! Некоторые главы вообще не понимаю, зачем туда помещены. Например, первые две или три(!) главы просто расхваливают канбан, чуть-чуть приправляя это историями. Ребята, я уже купил книгу про канбан. Зачем мне его рекламировать?!
Больше н
...more
Alexey
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: МИФ-wg
Канбан — это гибкий инструмент управления, пришедший от компании Toyota. В последние несколько десятилетий он стал очень популярен в IT-индустрии, наряду с другими гибкими методологиями. Дэвид Андерсон уже 30 лет работает в IT, и многие годы является адептом методологии Канбан. Само название книги «Канбан. Альтернативный путь в Agile» говорит о том, что тут нам расскажут и о методологии, и о лучших способах её применения. Как минимум, таковы были мои ожидания. Тем более, что во всех аннотациях е ...more
Michael Burnam-Fink
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
A lot of management practices seem somehow oppressive and cultish. TPS reports, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, and Scrum. I can't say much about those, but I really enjoyed a workshop on Kanban, and this book was in the bibliography.

Kanban is Japanese for signal ticket. The Imperial Palace Garden has a box of tickets equal to the maximum number of visitors, and if there are no tickets, you must wait for someone leaving the park to drop theirs in the entrance. In management practice, Kanban is a pull-sy
...more
Alan
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Este, como quase todo livro não literário, pode ser resumido em textos menores com quase todas as mesmas informações. Tecnicamente o ebook Essential Kanban Condensed disponível no site do Lean Kanban (https://leankanban.com/guide) tem o mesmo conteúdo.

Ler este livro é importante para entender porque, mesmo aplicando um conhecimento "by the book", seguindo todas as regras, seu projeto pode fracassar. As pessoas, a empresa e até a cultura do país onde você está importam. Essa é uma das coisas lega
...more
Khanh Cao
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cool! Instant application and one can see a major improvement in the process. The hard part is that the underlying principle is very broad and requires one to read multiple sources of books to understand.
Would recommend to anyone in any field striving for an optimal work-life!
Jon
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
A lot of the time, this felt like it was written by that experienced coworker who starts every offered solution with, " Well, when I was at Ginormosoft, we handled this by..." After a while, you find someone else to bounce things off of just to avoid the inevitable jaunt down memory lane.

I liked some of the ideas presented, but the presentation was difficult to slog through. I don't know if it's because it seems like a simple system made too complex, or if I just don't understand the system eno
...more
Bill
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent guide to implementing a kanban system for software delivery, with my preferred mix of theoretical background and practical lessons. Despite having a comic on the cover, this is a pretty serious book with an intended audience of individuals fairly experienced with project management. I read this having worked on a few projects that used kanban but had left me with the open question: how do you go from X to kanban? And this book provides sound answers to that question. Highly recommen ...more
Leah
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
"It'll take you an afternoon to read this," Matt said. Totally - if an afternoon = one year and three months. My beloved recommended this book on kanban, a change-management/work-flow system that originated at Toyota in Japan in the 1940s, because he's used it successfully in his IT career and thought we could bring it into my work to increase efficiency and alleviate stress. I like the kanban philosophy and enjoyed the real-life examples in this book, but the parts where the author delved deep ...more
Matt Diephouse
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book, but it did have some helpful information about Kanban, how it works, and what its goals are.

My main complaint is that it doesn’t start with the why. Instead, it’s a meandering explanation of the how that’s occasionally accompanied by the why. Given the un-empirical nature of software development process books, this is s huge disappointment.

Kanban seeks to establish predictability and agility in the software development process, above all else. Management and part
...more
Alex Sinclair
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
This book certainly has value, and for maintenance makes perfect sense. Parts can be taken for software projects, but adopting it wholesale... I'm skeptical.
The author also seems to misunderstand Agile, for example saying agile is not about quality, and uses Scrum and Agile interchangeably.
My favourite part is the premise the book is written on that reducing lead-time improves quality, yet has a footnote near the end saying the author hopes this is shown to be true.
It's definitely a book written
...more
Matthew Kern
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the only book that I have read about Kanban/kanban and it was a good one. Anderson does a great job at explaining all the kanban lingo and giving useful examples of how to implement and overcome common challenges.

Most of the book was clear and explained things in a powerful way. There were quite a few times where I caught myself thinking, "oh...that's how that works."

There were some parts of the book that got a bit dry and escaped my attention, but those were manageable.

I look forward to
...more
Wanja Krah
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading this book I must admit I long undervalued the value of Kanban. I've been in Scrum-teams for over 8 years now, but I will consider Kanban as a worthy, and probably sometimes better alternative.
The book is very valuable in the sense that it contains loads of information that you will need when implementing Kanban. It may feel repetitive from time to time, but each time information is layered with extra info or told from a different point of view.
However, to me, it still feels that i
...more
Ivan Ralchev
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is easy to read. Examples and stories turn abstractions into easy to understand ideas.

It is definitely a worthwhile read for everyone, as it defines many points of improvement, applicable in any type of business.

My takeaways:
- proper and clear visualisation is the key;
- keep it easy, do not rush it;
- you need the support and understanding of your team to push an improvement.
Si Jobling
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive guide to the Kanban framework for delivery software.
Plenty (long-winded) anecdotes to demonstrate how different theories have been applied in David's wisdom and experience.
Thorough outline though with plenty to learn from, especially as a noob to the world of Kanban.
Lavinia
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This books provides a good overview on Kanban and does shed light on the matter.
However for very detailed implementation techniques, specific tips and tricks you would still need to browse the internet.
As a first book on the subject I found it sufficient for the time being.
Rodolfo
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is good and it includes a lot of good information. I think you need to have good exposure to the method to follow the book. At the end, I felt it gave me a taste of deep concepts but not enough ground for me to implement them.
Bill
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kindle never updated that I finished this book, so writing this review months later. It was an ok work-related book. It did a good job going through how one person had success at a few areas with Kanban, and it was nice to see how his groups used it successfully.
Giedrius Kriščiukaitis
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
As many of Agile practitioners one might think I am already familiar with the Kanban Board - this book opens even more doors to understand what happens beyond the Board and how the Kanban System works. A very extensive and detailed dive into the Kanban way of organizing things to get them done.
Karl
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good resource

This is a good resource for Kanban and effectively explained not only the basic mechanics but some of the reasons for making specific choices in introducing Kanban to a workplace. Generally well written, it did get a bit more abstract in the second half of the book.
Miguel Ángel Ocaña Silva
La edición es bastante mala, y el texto.. No sé, como bastante desordenado.
Chuck Cova
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great guide to learning how to apply in the workplace...
Nathalie Karasek
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, _hardcopy, kanban
Good book. I especially liked chapter 11 and the last part of the book. Easy to read due to the narrative style and lot of examples.
coolwind
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very comprehensive book on Kanban. I found it particularly helpful in the last few chapters on the practical issues and solutions.
Rodrigo Ramos
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
As experiências práticas e conceitos desse livro são muito profundas e nos fazem querer aplica-las imediatamente em todos os locais que forem possíveis.
Andrey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Bored
Yang
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A comprehensive guid to Kanban.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Commitment
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Specification by Example
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Coaching
  • Manage Your Project Portfolio

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The two pillars of the Toyota production system are just-in-time and automation with a human touch, or autonomation.” 2 likes
“Without slack there is no tactical agility in the business.” 2 likes
More quotes…