Start by marking “Blockade Billy” as Want to Read:
Blockade Billy

Blockade Billy

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  14,151 Ratings  ·  1,334 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Stephen King comes the haunting story of Blockade Billy, the greatest Major League baseball player to be erased from the game.

Even the most die-hard baseball fans don’t know the true story of William “Blockade Billy” Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was t

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2010)

Brina
Aug 08, 2016 Brina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blockade Billy by Stephen King is King's novella which first appeared in Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It is King's story of Blockade Billy Blakely who played a month for the fictional Newark Titans in 1957. While I am a baseball fanatic, I am not usually a fan of King's psychological thrillers due to my runaway imagination. Yet, even I could not resist this novella numbering less than one hundred pages in length.

The story is told in reminiscing by third base coach George "Granny" Grantham to King in a
Carol
Blockade Billy - 5 Stars

Huge baseball fan + Huge Stephen King fan = A killer of a baseball catcher and a horror of a story. Loved it!

Morality - 3 Stars

What would you do for $200,000 tax free? Check out what happens when Nora and Chad decide to fulfill an old man's evil last wish that turns their world upside down. Ok Bonus Story with an ending that left me unfulfilled.

(my 5 Star rating for the main event....Blockade Billy!)

TK421
May 09, 2011 TK421 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
I have many pleasures in life, but two that really make me smile are Stephen King and baseball. Now I’m not going to write this review in hopes of changing your mind about Stephen King—he is what he is. You may like him. You may not. For my own two cents, I think he is a wonderful storyteller. Sure, one could peruse his body of work and find numerous examples where he stunk up the place; but, and I am saying this not only as a King fan but also as a fan of literature, one could also find numerou ...more
Wayne Barrett
Dec 03, 2015 Wayne Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I can understand the reason for the mixed reviews of this King novella. There is definitely a huge amount of baseball jargon associated with this story, so I can understand that if you are not a baseball fan, this may not be entertaining to you.

There is not the usual horror element we usually find in King's work, at least not in the supernatural sense. But we do have our blood, don't we?

I actually thought the story was superb. It was a quick, fun read, told from the perspective of a retired coa
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I'm a softball fan more than a baseball fan, I wanted to get that out there first. I liked this book. I really liked the Granny character. Such a hoot!! A different kind of King book for sure.
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Blockade Billy is a very solid and entertaining novella that fans of baseball and non-fans alike should enjoy. There is simply not much good baseball fiction available and this offering from King manages to fill a void that I simply didn't realize was there until I read it. Overall, the story gave me feelings of some of my favorite baseball movies such as Bull Durham and The Natural.

For those who aren't baseball fans though, this book still contains enough of King's wonderful characters and dial
Christy
Aug 12, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every single person who is capable of recognizing damn good storytelling
BASEBALL WITH BARBARISM

I have finally found a kind of baseball I can get into!

I seriously did NOT think I was going to like this story on baseball--let alone give it a justly deserved 5*. I mean baseball bores the heck out of me.

I basically picked it up because the cover on this adorable tiny little hardcover is so perfectly retro and nostalgic. It's beyond cute enough to leave out on my beloved made-to-order coffee table; a place screaming for a book just like this, next to a plate of chocola
Thomas
So, if you read the back of this book, you get a pretty good sense of what you’re getting into. This is a collection of two long short stories, one the story of Blockade Billy, a catcher for a baseball team that has been OMG ERASED FROM HISTORY because he did an OMG HORRIBLE THING, which was so bad that even he was OMG ERASED FROM HISTORY. Not literally, so much as the history books just didn’t mention him, but dang if you don’t get this sense of dread reading the story, waiting to see what this ...more
Sadie Hartmann
Sep 17, 2016 Sadie Hartmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: king
I'm glad I listened to this book instead of reading it for myself because I think the narrator's voice did an excellent job bringing me into this book. I was totally engaged, as if I was sitting at a bar listening to some old timer tell a story from his glory days. The story itself isn't my favorite subject, in fact, I have managed to avoid most books about sports up to this point! But being that this is King and I want to "read them all", I gave this one my ears. I'm glad I did!
Becky
I like baseball. Watching it. I don't follow or understand stats or anything, and I'm not "down with the lingo". I understand the basic concept of the game and am pretty good with the rules, but that's about the extent of it: I enjoy watching baseball games.

I know now that I do not like reading about baseball. I am familiar with the game, but even I had a hard time following all of the lingo and action. To Stephen King's credit, the parts I did understand were vivid and easy to see, as usual, b
Reddish
Jun 05, 2015 Reddish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, king
En este pequeño tomo nos encontramos con dos historias. La primera no me ha aportado nada de nada. Si no eres fan de los deportes, te llega incluso a aburrir. Pero la segunda historia ha sido mucho más interesante, más estilo S. King, y me ha encantado! Yo recomiendo totalmente "Moralidad" antes que "Blockade Billy", pero para gustos, colores.

“El hombre sonrió. Fue una sonrisa benévola. También desagradable: labios de oveja, dientes de lobo.”
Shaun
Aug 08, 2016 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audiobook contained two stories. The first story, Blockade Billy was boring until the end... it got good at the end. The second story, Morality, was awful. I couldn't even pay attention. You might accept this book as a gift but I wouldn't spend money on it.
SumitRK
Mar 18, 2017 SumitRK rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much of Baseball..Too little of mystery. Read it only if you are a 50's baseball fan.
Marc-Antoine
Two great little stories, fun quick read, highly enjoyable.
Ruth Turner

(Collected in The Bazaar of Bad Dreams)

The finer points of American Baseball may have eluded me, but this is a damn good story nonetheless.
Kathy
Apr 08, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blockade Billy:
Ok, now I hate being hard on Stephen King books, but this book confused me a bit. I am not a baseball person at all (any kind of sport really) and throughout alot of the story he is describing games. So much of that was over my head. I did love the conversational tone, as if Granny was telling the story to Uncle Stevie, and that did help a bit. Well, that's my only complaint there. Thought I was gonna trash it didn't ya? lol. I was pretty surprised by the twist and very much enjoy
Franco  Santos
No le tenía muy buenas expectativas a este libro, pero me terminó sorprendiendo.

Blockade Billy es un relato que lo podría haber disfrutado mucho más si me gustara el Baseball, sin embargo, me resultó entretenido y me cautivó con ese final. Me encantó la narrativa en primera persona, también.

Luego tenemos al segundo cuento, Moralidad. Es una buena historia, te atrapa desde el inicio. Me pareció un poco inverosímil, ya que, en mi opinión, es muy exagerado; no obstante, es muy interesante por ser
Dave Boorn
I feel kinda bad giving this two stars because I don't know fuck all about baseball and this hasn't piqued my interest in the subject. To be fair though, even if it didn't read like my cars technical manual with a flimsy plot attached, the actual main story (or in other words anything that doesn't read like the Wikipedia page for notable games of Major League Baseball) is just a bit pointless and wank.
An additional star is given for the second story, "Morality" but even that isn't particularly
Desiree Koh
Once upon a time, I wanted to be a horror writer, because of Stephen King. "It" grabbed my heart, kept it warm, then squeezed it cold whenever it grew talons. "Carrie" just plain scared the living shit out of me. "Different Seasons" put short stories in a different light, then freaked me out when the light went out. And so on... there was a time I actually rented "Christine" on VHS and enjoyed it.

But now, I much prefer writing non-fiction, although a big part of that is because it pays the bills
Traci
Nov 23, 2010 Traci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a special hardcover edition by Cemetery Dance of this never-before-published novella by King. Now, normally I really enjoy King's short works. This wasn't my favorite, though, and I think it's simply because of the subject matter - baseball. Not a sport I personally play or enjoy.

The style is nice, though, with the former equipment manager of the New Jersey Titans narrating to "Mr. King" as if King is a reporter. George Grantham ("Granny" to the players) has seen a lot in his time, but n
Jacob
William "Blockade Billy" Blakely only played the Major League for a month or so, but he just might have been the greatest baseball player the game has ever had. So why haven't you heard of him? Sitcher self down, Constant Reader, and let ol' Stevie tell ya the story!

I'll admit, I haven't read much by King--The Stand, Dark Tower, Under the Dome, one or two others--so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I figured THE THING that got Blockade Billy erased from the record books would be something mor
Angel
Oct 06, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es bueno. No es una obra maestra, tan solo es bueno.
Mucho suspenso, eso si.
Mi historia favorita de las dos, fue Moralidad. (view spoiler)
Me gustan tanto
Reanna
Quick, little read, which I hadn't already read before. Check another one off the old Stephen King list!
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 11, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
It's no secret that I'm a Stephen King fan. After all, I have a copy of every book he's ever written--more than one format for some--and absolutely love the way he spins a tale. But I've fallen behind on my challenge to read 6 King Books this year. lol.

So, when hubby suggested I try this book, I shrugged and got started. I read the first 30 pages in one sitting, and was totally intrigued. Then, I found out there was another story included as well, which made me happier.

BLOCKADE BILLY: Tells the
Michael
Jul 09, 2010 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
When you're as big a name as Stephen King, you could pretty much publish a grocery list and people would snap it up. But part of that is because he's earned the trust of his readers, so that when he decides to push the limits or do something different, readers will follow him and give whatever experiment he's trying a fair chance.

Those experiments have given us some enjoyable reads and some interesting entries in the Stephen King library.

"Blockade Billy" is another noble experiment by King. Rele
Chris
This was a nice treat. Two stories in one small volume that's easy to tote around. Not that you need to tote much, as it won't take long at all to finish it. But King almost always delivers, and he does so here once more.

"Blockade Billy" is a delightful little tale about baseball, told to Mr. King by an old baseball manager in a retirement home. It's about one player at least, and the events surrounding his playing career. King hits a home run here. There is a lot of baseball talk and game descr
Andrew
Feb 06, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another one of those random finds going round the local charity stores. I have been after this book for a while but being a limited availability hardback book which what is essentially two short stories parcelled as one - one 80 pages or so the other 50. As with me I won't do spoilers just to say that regardless of the content - the packaging or anything to me these are classic Stephen King short stories - the likes of which I have always enjoyed from the classics of Night Shift and ske ...more
Dylan Perry
This was one of those in-one-ear-out-the-other stories when I read it in 2010. Honestly, I enjoyed the bonus story "Morality" more than the titular story. But a friend recently listened to and recommended the audiobook, so I gave it a go and I have to say it is the best way to consume this. Craig Wasson does a terrific job and brings a lot to the text. His reading of the last line in particular was a great cap for this non-sport's fan's experience in this story. Overall: an alright tale and an e ...more
Joel
Oct 23, 2013 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mucho se ha criticado a este libro, y aunque estoy de acuerdo en que no es ni de lejos uno de los mejores libros de King, la verdad es que tampoco me parece tan malo.

Creo que el punto a favor es que es muy corto (ademas de que tiene dos historias completamente distintas) y por eso no quita mucho tiempo su lectura. Sin duda lo disfrutarán más aquellos que sean fan del baseball.

Blockade Billy: 3*
Moralidad: 3.5*
G.S. Wright
Feb 21, 2016 G.S. Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of his stories. Still enjoyable.
Stephen King Fans: Blockade Billy 99 197 Jan 16, 2012 12:38AM
  • Blaze
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • Turn Down the Lights
  • Pork Pie Hat
  • Sibs
  • The Ransome Women; The Things The Left Behind (Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8)
  • Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Button, Button: Uncanny Stories
  • Azazel
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
More about Stephen King...

“Baseball is a good thing. Always was, always will be.” 3 likes
“I prefer the Yankees,' one of the blueshirts chimes in.
'If I want your opinion, I'll rattle the bars in your cage,' Lombardazzi said. 'Until then, shut up and die right.”
1 likes