Start by marking “Octopus Opposites” as Want to Read:
Octopus Opposites

Octopus Opposites

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This title introduces young children to basic opposites as they meet a parade of exotic and familiar creatures. With bright and distinction illustrations in Stephanie Bauer's child-friendly style, it is a favourite with parents and young readers.
Published February 1st 2010 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about Octopus Opposites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus Opposites

Brooke
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book about opposites that features a wide variety of animals. At the end, there is a page with all of the opposites. It has bright and colorful illustrations. There is a little bit of a plot. It is large enough and simple enough to use at a toddler storytime about opposites.
Dewey
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't in love with the way the book ended, but this would be a good book for an opposites themed storytime. Using animals to show all the different opposites is cute.
Miss Sarah
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: opposites
A toddler and up book where animals help explain oppsoites. simple
Thomas
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Blackstone, Stella, and Stephanie Bauer. Octopus opposites. Cambridge, MA: Barefoot Books, 2010. Print.

Octopus fat. Octopus thin. Colorful illustrations of wild animals will put a smile on the face of anyone who reads this concept book about opposites.

This book's fun animal pictures, and short and predictable text appeals to kindergarten-age students. Additionally, opposites is a concept commonly taught at this grade level. I am actually using the book this week with a 6 years old kindergarten
Marya
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Is a skinny octopus really just a squid, at least as far as children's books illustrations go? That was my assumption, and this book really screws it up for me by calling the two drawings "Octopus fat" and "octopus thin". Oh, but kudos on using the fat word! The rest of book is very bright and colorful and builds vocabulary with words like Kookaburra and Beluga whale. It's lasted two weeks here, and that's a pretty long shelf life for a picture book from the library.
Emmeline Guest
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great opposite book -- with beautiful, bright and illustrations.

Because a few of the opposites are slightly harder -- this book can work well with both a very young (2-3) group and a slightly older (3-6) group, although the illustrations are probably more likely to appeal to a younger crowd.
Joanie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: vocabulary, antonyms
Simple antonyms book with some words to help build vocabulary. I don't like how the book uses the words "fat" and "thin"; I understand it's an antonym but I will be cautious in using this book to avoid any teasing or negative comparisons in class. Good book to have at a writing center to use as a reference for vocabulary words/spelling.
Fireslily
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a good book for teaching opposites, but isn't a favorite. The illustration style is too busy for my toddler to really like. I actually hated the illustration style when i first saw it, but was willing to see if my son liked it. He reads this a few times a month, but that is it.
Marie
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is like a party on every page! The illustrations are bold and vibrant. Look closely and you will notice all sorts of interesting techniques and materials used. Such a fun way to explore a staid concept!
Liesl
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: opposites
Cute and colorful! The opposites are simply presented and the vast array of animals included allows for vocabulary building. I love how the final page easily sums up the preceding opposites, and how the animals are displayed near the end in their habitats.
Melissa
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: opposites
Octopus fat / octopus thin // sea urchin out / sea urchin in.
Nice animal choices (kookaburra FTW) and bright colors, fun ending (Kookaburra where? / I don't know = the illustration perspective is from up in the air above the flying kookaburra, can you spot her tail?).
Angie
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Vibrant illustrations with fun rhymes.

Recommended as a great read-aloud.
Paula
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bold colorful illustrations show the same animal in opposite situations. Very simple and could be used for the smaller ones
Creatures big and small introduce pairs of opposites.
Sandi
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colorful illustrations keep my toddler hooked. Rhyming opposites are all fun!
Kerri Harshaw
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: opposites
A wonderfully written simple text to help children learn opposites. The illustrations are very kid friendly and beautiful. A definite read for introducing opposites to children!
Megan
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think my favorite opposite is elephant young elephant old.
Jessica Bennett
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a great book for beginning readers! The pictures and the words go together to help children learn how to read. There is also examples of opposite words and rhyming words in the book.
Beverly
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Simple, cute and colorful; perfect for story time.
Holly
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: carson-s
Cute, but not my favorite.
Darcie Caswell
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice book for storytime:

Animals
Opposites
Rhyming
Brittnee
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for beginning readers! The pictures and the words go together to help children learn how to read. There is also examples of opposite words and rhyming words in the book.
Alyssa
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Bright illustrations, simple rhyming language to talk about opposites, but some rich vocabulary, too. Great for little ones!
Danielle Strickland
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great for beginning readers.
Nathan
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simple and well-done. Wish the first opposite wasn't "fat/thin" because I am overly sensitive.
Peacegal
Very colorful!
Kimberly
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Big colorful illustrations showing opposites. My kids really liked this book.
Zach
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, opposites
Colorful fun creatures each with their own opposite. High-low, empty-full, bold-shy. Great hook for lessons on antonyms!
Hajnal
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The bright collaged illustrations in this book attract the eye. The summary of opposites at the end of the book is great for summarizing!
Allison
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the pictues, the rhyming, and the opposites!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »