Start by marking “War Horse (War Horse, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Horse (War Horse, #1)

War Horse (War Horse #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  32,711 Ratings  ·  3,952 Reviews
A powerful tale of war, redemption, and a hero's journey--now available in paperback!

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the tren
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published June 3rd 1982)

To ask other readers questions about War Horse, please sign up.

Kelsi Yes, it would. It's a great book about love and determination, though it's quite sad because many horses die. :(

P
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.”

This book is so beautiful in many ways. I wanted to weep all day after I finished. War Horse is very unique because it's told by Joey, a horse being thrusted into the war on the Western Front. The story is innocent, yet it's so sensational and full of angst from the characters. I felt attached to the story from the first chapter and couldn't peel my eyes off then. Morpugo created such a striking story about the war with a horse and a boy try
Will Byrnes
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-and-children
Ahmad Sharabiani
War Horse, Michael Morpurgo
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ششم نوامبر سال 2013 میلادی
عنوان: اسب جنگی؛ نویسنده: مایکل مورپرگو؛ مترجم: پروین علی پور؛ تهران، افق، چاپ دوم 1392؛ ئر 189 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
اسنیون اسپیلبرگ از این داستان فیلمی دیدنی ساخته و پرداخته است. «جویی» اسب جوانی ست که مزرعه داری خریداری میکند. پسرش آلبرت تیمار «جویی» را به گردن میگیرد، و دل به «جویی» میسپارد. او بارها و بارها به سبب رفتار نامناسب پدرش با جویی، با پدر خویش درگیر میشود. جنگ جهانگیر نخ
Mario
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, own-read
If somebody told me that book written in horse's POV would be this emotional, I wouldn't have believed it.

From page one, I knew that this wasn't going to be happy and light read (even in chapter 1 so much happened). It dealt with war, and how unfair and stupid it is. But it also dealt with so much more than that. It's a story about friendship, loyalty, love and survival. And I felt like this book was so much longer than it actually was. I guess that is because so much happened in it. But surpris
Dem
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Small Books can often leave big impressions and this is the case with War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.

Michael Murpurgo writes wonderful children's novels and I had loved some of his books very much and War Horse is one of those books that leaves a lasting impression.

This is not a novel with a complicated plot or twists and turns but a beautiful story simply told and I find sometimes these can be the best.

Warhorse is a moving story about a horse called Joey and his experiences during service in th
Leonard Gaya
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War Horse is one of the best-known children’s novels by Michael Morpurgo. And it is an enormously poignant little book.

As the title suggests, it is the odyssey of a horse, Joey, brought from Devon across the English Channel and into France and the hell of the Great War, both through the English and the German trenches. The story is narrated in simple language (in, say, the tradition of Ernest Hemingway) from the unusual perspective of the horse. And this is done with an incredible sense of human
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, 2013
I listened to this on audio and was listening to this while making my way to a ‘gig’ at Wooster College in Ohio, where I was to draw caricatures. Drawing caricatures for the public requires a certain amount of upbeat interaction, so it might not have been a good time to cry over Joey the War Horse. I hope my Eyes weren’t all puffy.

Joey is a special horse. Special enough to be purchased to serve in the first world war as a Calvary horse. But the whole time he is in the war he longs for the day he
Liz
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A book about war. About fighting and surviving.

A book about friendship and loyalty. And about death and grief and moving on.

Written from the POV of a horse, this book was absolutely breathtaking. And honetsly, not only the book. I cried when I read the book and I cried even harder when I watched the movie.
It was one of the few books I read that was actually about WWI. Since so many books are about the Second World War I was very intrigued about a book that pictured the First one!

The main part i
Erastes
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm clearly the only person in the world who doesn't like, doesn't get, this book.

The horse is a Gary Stu (See here if you don't know what one of those is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue) - he knows everything, from what guns and cannons are, to what wire is and what it can do, the terms for everythng in his world, including politics and the type of bit in his mouth.

I'm used to anthropomorphic animals, and have been since I was born--but Joey should be dressed up in a waistcoat and walking
Trish
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story wrecked me. It's a children's book but definitely of a dark(er) nature as it deals with experiences from WWI. And it is all written from the persective of Joey, the titular horse.

Joey was sold to a farm when young. There, he met Albert, his friend, brother, master. Albert's father, who bought Joey when drunk to stick it to a neighbouring farmer, is not a man one can like (easily), but Albert is not only young and idealistic but also kind and gentle. One day, Joey is sold to the Army f
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Such a touching hero's tale and such a daring point of view for its audience. I am not an animal person (to the chagrin of my family members) and the beginning chapters of this book just ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it. For Joey to be a survivor and still have such love in his soul is so moving.
Karen & Gerard
This is a double wow book for me! Joey, the war horse, tells about his adventures during World War 1 and the special bond he has with a young boy named Albert. At only 160 pages or so, it goes very fast. I loved it! I look forward to seeing the movie which is coming out on Christmas.
(Gerard's review)

War Horse is a touching book that kept my interest all through. Although it is a children's book, I enjoyed it but must admit I got teary-eyed reading it. Parts were very sad but I loved the ending!
Viv JM
I read this with my 12 year old son. Heartwarming stuff! There may have been a few tears...
Mahsa
اگه کنجکاوید قابل باورترین تصویرسازی ممکن از افکار و احساسات یه اسب رو بخونید، و اگه دوست دارید با یکی از خاصترین اسبهای جنگی آشنا بشید و جنگ رو از نگاهش بخونید، اسب جنگی رو ورق بزنید.
با این کتاب از زبان و نگاه یه اسب خوندم، و همین یک دلیل کافی بود تا من به سادگی دوستش داشته باشم. اما همهچیز فراتر از تصوراتم بود، و من به خیلی دلایل دیگه، خوندنِ روایت این اسب فوقالعاده یعنی "جویی" رو فراتر از انتظارم دوست داشتم.

با صفحات این کتاب، همراه جویی از حس قشنگش نسبت به صاحبش و دوستش آلبرت، از جدایی تلخش ا
Manybooks
With this poignant and heart-wrenching novel, with his War Horse, author Michael Morpurgo (while of course focussing primarily on the main character, a so-called war horse, who like Anna Sewell's Black Beauty, narrates his own story) demonstrates both clearly and also rather painfully not only the utter futility and wanton destructiveness of war in a general sense, but that like poor Joey, the common foot soldiers (in this particular case, the British and German soldiers of WWI) are basically an ...more
James
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morpurgo at his best - not to be missed! (And so much better than the Hollywood film).
Kaitlin
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book which I picked up completely by chance. I am currently studying Graphic Design and there happens to be a project which requires illustrating this book and so naturally I had to read it in order to know how to illustrate it, and my goodness I am so happy I did choose to pick this up!!

This is a story which is told from the point of view of a Horse named Joey. I wouldn't have expected a book described in that way to come across as well and as emotionally as it has, but hon
Nastaran
این آغاز قصهاس، آلبرت و جویی بهترین دوستای هم هستن. یه انسان و یه اسب...
آلبرت، جویی رو بزرگ میکنه، بهش محبت میکنه و خیلی دوستش داره... ولی دست روزگار جویی و آلبرت رو از هم جدا میکنه و جویی به اجبار همراه سواره نظام انگلیس به جنگ فرستاده میشه...

این روایته جنگ جهانی اوله از زبان یک اسب. بدون قضاوت انسانی...
تو روایت جویی جایی برای مرزهای ساختهی انسان وجود نداره... تفاوتی نیست بین انسانهایی که فقط لباس متفاوتی میپوشن و زبان مختلفی دارن...
They fight a war and they don’t know what for. Isn’t that cra
Tristan Robin Blakeman
Very interesting book...and quite touching, in a clean and non-cloying way.

I am familiar with the play, so I knew the basic plot line. I wish I had read the book first ... the play is SO powerful - and so theatrically charged with the larger-than-life stage puppets who play the horses - that the book seemed somewhat small to me. But, that's okay. It's really a small story - even though it's played against the world stage during intense and climatic moments.

It was a surprise to find the book is w
Jonathan
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War Horse is the first book I had to read for my new teaching job and I can only describe it as my students did: "It's Black Beauty, but in World War One!"

As with Black Beauty, War Horse is set from the perspective of a horse and the reader witnesses all events from this horse's perspective. The horse, in this case, goes by the name of Joey and the reader observes Joey being sold to an owner, who treats him poorly but who has a son who he respects as his master. This master, a young teenager by
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
4-4.5 stars.

Apparently I never got around to a review for this. I remember it as a beautifully told story from the point of view of a horse, similarly to Black Beauty, who gets pulled into military service during WWI. It really shows how ghastly the Great War was, and the animal's connection to his riders and his original owner broke my heart. The film was well done and I still want to see the stage play.
Dimitar
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Боен кон“ е написана за по-малките читатели, но със сигурност би трогнала хора на всякаква възраст!

Няма как да не започна с това, че книгата е написана през погледа на Джоуи – млад кон, който като малък бива разделен от майка си и продаден на земевладелец.
Той бързо свиква с Албърт – синът на фермера, който го обсибва с цялата си обич. За жалост дните им заедно не продължават дълго, тъй като по това време назрява Първата световна война и те биват разделени от армията, които взимат Джоуи с тях.

Ця
Stephen Collins
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my Top Book of 2012 out of over 100 books .
This was really fab book it is wonderful book about WWI that is not run of mill WWI book.
The only puzzling thing for me was how the horse could understand more than one language
Jim
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2fiction, animals, 1audio, war
I thought the movie was just OK since Hollywood rarely does horses well. The incessant snorting about drove me crazy, so when I ran across this audio book at the library, I thought I'd see if the book was better. It was & it turns out the movie was fairly faithful to the book, so bring plenty of tissues. It reminds me a lot of "Black Beauty" since it is told from the horse's point of view. Yes, it's a bit sappy at times, but not terribly often & gives a great view of WWI. Better yet, it' ...more
Paul O'Neill
A heart warming, easy read. Didn't end like I expected it to I have to say. My problem with this book is that it was a bit too simple and all the characters felt a bit wooden. The book is told from Joey's, the horse, point of view and it doesn't quite work for me. I think the emotional parts of the book would have worked better if it came from a human point of view, not knowing what was going on in the horse's head. Still a good read and worth checking out if you're looking for something quick w ...more
Seeker of dreams
This was a short read, but a beautiful story. I especially liked the fact that it was from the view of the horse. His descriptions of how he felt were done very well. I felt his pain and joy.

Great book, but I loved the movie more.
Jo
This review is part of my Poppies & Prose feature.

"I tell you, if we had one jot of the courage of these animals we should be in Paris by now and not slugging it out here in the mud... It was not their fault they were sent on a fool's errand. They are not circus animals, they are heroes, do you understand, heroes, and they should be treated as such."

So I have to admit when I first started reading this book, I didn’t have high expectations.
There are three reasons for this:
1) It’s
María
Libro corto pero intenso.
En general, me ha gustado, pero se me ha hecho demasiado corto y aunque se me han saltado las lágrimas, no me ha llegado a emocionar del todo.
Al principio veía un poco raro que estuviera narrado desde el punto de vista del caballo, pero después me pareció muy buena idea.
La historia me ha gustado bastante, pero como no se llega a profundizar en nada (es normal al estar narrado desde el punto de vista del caballo), no me ha llegado a emocionar del todo.
Eso no quita que lo
Rebecca
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

In a nutshell: War Horse is a heartfelt and emotional story of war, friendship and survival.

I love historical fiction and I'm always surprised when I think of the small amount of books I've read that are set in WWI. I'm even more surprised when I think about how long I went without having a book like War Horse on my shelf. Not only is this book one of my favourites of the genre, but it's also one of my favourites period.

War
Hope
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, guys. Review to come!
War Horse 3 21 Nov 20, 2017 10:14AM
audio books 4 6 Sep 16, 2017 06:46AM
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Blind Beauty
  • Firehorse
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • War Horse
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • Chosen by a Horse
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • Chosen (Canterwood Crest Super Special, #1)
  • Wild Girl
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Issie and the Christmas Pony
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching an ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...

War Horse (2 books)
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)
“I can hate you more, but I'll never love you less.” 151 likes
“Any problem can be solved between people if only they can trust each other” 64 likes