Start by marking “The Buzz on Bees: Why Are They Disappearing?” as Want to Read:
The Buzz on Bees: Why Are They Disappearing?

The Buzz on Bees: Why Are They Disappearing?

Bees are disappearing at an alarming rate. We use honeybees to pollinate nearly all of our domestic fruits, nuts, vegetables, cotton, and grains. The book looks at possible explanations for bees' disappearance, what scientists are doing to address the problem, and also what young readers can do. Bibliography and fascinating bee facts included.
Published April 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Buzz on Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buzz on Bees

Start your review of The Buzz on Bees: Why Are They Disappearing?
Sarahi
Mar 22, 2014 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Picture book #1 The Buzz on Bees

1. Twin Text: These Bees Count! by Alison Formento, @2012

2. The reason I chose this twin text is because it is about some school children going on a field trip to a “bee farm” and learning all about what bees do and how they help the environment. Since in elementary schools, many students take at least one field trip, I believe they will be able to relate a little bit to the children in the story. This book enhances the nonfiction text because it gives children t
Alycia Kelly
This book helps answer questions about bees, and especially why honeybees are disappearing at an alarming rate. This book allows the reader to meet people through the reading, who are trying to solve the ultimate question on what is happening to the bee population. The book goes from talking about how disappearing bees made news, to the benefits of bees, to different kinds of bees, to factors causing the disappearing honeybees, to how scientists are working to solve the mystery and what we can d ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Illustrated with photographs.

Starts with the disappearance of bees from one beekeeper and explains the problem nationally and what people think may be causing it (and why losing bees is a big deal).
Tara Dryml
It was an informational book with many theories on why the bees were disappearing and some possible solutions to fixing it. The cause still remains unknown. (Informational Book.)
Tristan Wilson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational-4
This book is very informative and I even learned some facts about bees I didn't before. Did you know there is a bee that likes to drink our sweat?! They won't sting unless you swat at them.
Julianne
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Important topic but not heavy on information. Could use the text as intro into the impact humans have on our declining bee population.
Aljoharah
Twin text:
Clark, S. (2014) the Honeybee That Learned to Dance. Createspace Independent Publisher.

Rationale:

I selected the buzz on bees' book because it is about a serious issue of honeybees' disappearance. This book has many information about the bees' jobs. They play a very important role in the pollination process. I believe this book will be a good resource for students to learn more about the importance of honeybees. It has many facts about colony collapse disorder (CCD). For the fiction boo
Sunday
Did you know bees are involved in making blue jeans? In this easy to read text, the authors highlight the importance of bees in the pollination of plants that affect our everyday lives and the mysterious disappearance of one-third of honeybees in the United States. While the cause of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is currently unknown, there are ways children can act to save the bees including planting a bee garden and contacting local beekeeping organizations. There are up-close pictures of bee ...more
Michele Knott
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
i read this book awhile ago, but reread it for my bee theme post. This book is the first one I read about the bee epidemic - thousands of them going missing. I like the format of this book - question and answer. Good for showing how scientists pose a question and hypothesize and then go about finding their answers.
Tricia
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it
The use of photography in this book is phenomenal and the message important. Facts shared in the book (like how many bees it takes to help a crop and that hives for this purpose are moved around the country) are fascinating. We enjoyed this book and the authors handled well not overdoing the scary aspect that this topic has on humankind.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-book, nature
A lot of questions, very few answers. While the photography is phenomenal, the information introduces but doesn't give many questions. Too much theory. On the other hand, my kids became interested in bees and the problem of CCD when we read this together. So overall, a pretty decent book on bees.
Liz
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Photographs and information on bees and why they are disappearing. Explores multiple reasons. Not as detailed as the great "Scientists in the Field" series book, THE HIVE DETECTIVES, but good information presented in a fairly simple manner.
Mrs. Van
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-bios
Fascinating, however, the title lead me to believe it would tell me why they are disappearing. I knew of the mystery of their disappearance and took the book of our librarian's shelf because I thought it had the answers.
Franny
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love that this picture book explains the serious issue of decreasing numbers of honeybees in kid-friendly terms. However, I would have liked to read more about possible causes (as promised by the title) than what was delivered.
Kylee S
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This book is great to teach children all the uses of bees and an over view of why they are disappearing. I learned things about bees that I had never known before. They help make a lot of things that we use today. I really liked the pictures in this book.
Chelsea
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
this book has so much info about bees and many real life Pictures
Stephany Albritton
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book
Jacquelyn Arbegast
Great book to use to teach about bees and their purposes, and why they's important to humans.
Karen
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
great info on why bees are disappearing and what that means
Stephanie
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, j-non-fiction
Excellent discussion and photographs.
Krysten
Aug 07, 2017
Bob
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2016
Aena
Aug 05, 2015

• Whose Mouse Are You?
  • Stumpkin
  • Trudy's Big Swim: How Gertrude Ederle Swam the English Channel and Took the World by Storm
  • Borreguita and the Coyote: A Tale from Ayutla, Mexico
  • The Secret of the Kelpie
  • My Little Golden Book about Johnny Appleseed
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2)
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • The Cock, the Mouse and the Little Red Hen
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Treat Your Own Back
  • Islandborn
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Quite Enough Hot Dogs
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • When a Wolf Is Hungry