Start by marking “The Shimmering Blond Sister (Berger and Mitry, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Shimmering Blond Sister (Berger and Mitry, #7)

The Shimmering Blond Sister

(Berger and Mitry #7)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

In this delightful new adventure featuring the mismatched crime-fighting duo of film critic Mitch Berger and Connecticut state trooper Des Mitry, Mitch?s New York City past and his Dorset present collide head on.

Back when Mitch was a chubby thirteen-year-old living in Stuyvesant Town, Beth Breslauer, a lovely blond single mother, lived across the hall with her son, K

Published October 12th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Shimmering Blond Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shimmering Blond Sister

Irum Zahra
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
O this was good.
Kaye
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent Mitry/Berger case. Loved it as usual. What starts out as a case of indecent exposure escalates to murder. Murderer surprised me completely!
Pammy
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't care if Mitch and Dez are married or engaged or living separately or together.
I just want that chemistry they have when working and loving each other. That's not much to ask, so Mr. Handler, bear that in mind for future mysteries, please.
Ouir loving crimes fighting duo are dealing with the socially eleite of Dorset once again. Seems that group can't be trusted to stay out of trouble!
This time there's a flasher, doing his thing (or rather showing it) to wealthy widows; there's a retired p
Hrn1947
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another murder in the same small town. Don’t try to figure it out because that’s not the point. The murder is just a vehicle to move the ongoing love story along. There are never enough clues to solve the case. As always a few words you should look up. No sure where the shimmering blond sister was.
Ann
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book in the series was much better than the last because Mitry and Berger were back together.
Fictionophile
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Just like the worm in the apple, even the affluent and seemingly idyllic Connecticut coast can hide some sick and damaged individuals. The shimmering blond sister, the seventh novel in the Berger and Mitry series, once again serves up a healthy dose of justice served.

Des Mitry is like a fish out of water. She is a svelte, tall, black policewoman enforcing the law in a predominately white, historic, upper class New England community. She seems undeterred by all this however, and she and her white
Cheryl A
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Des Mitry and Mitch Berger are back together and at it again. This odd, odd couple - Des, a 6 ft black State Trooper and Mitch, a formerly pudgy Jewish film critic - reside in upscale historic Dorset, Conn., where little old ladies of the upper echelon are being terrorized by a flasher. Well, mildly terrorized, anyway - the mysterious man in the ski mask isn't quite rising to the occasion and the women aren't able to give a physical description. The media and town leaders are on Resident Trooper ...more
Brenda
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the 7th in the Berger and Mitry series. I grew up in Old Lyme, CT which is the setting for the fictional town of Dorset. I love being able to recognize the landmarks and buildings that the author describes as well as some of the actual people whom the characters are loosely based upon.

The Shimmering Blond Sister finds Des and Mitch back together again. It was a little strange that they were able to fall back into their relationship with no hard feelings on Mitch's part and there was no m
Susan
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Quiet Dorset is having a crime wave--a flasher has been bothering the wealthy matrons of the town. Now a man is dead, and no one is sure whether he was the flasher, killed by one of his victims, or was on the track of the flasher, who killed him to avoid exposure. Resident state trooper Des Mitry and her boyfriend, movie critic Mitch Berger, are outskirts of the investigation, since Des and the murdered man had a very public quarrel the day before his death. But a New York City policeman appears ...more
Susan
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Connecticut state trooper Des Mitry is hunting for a flasher who has been targeting wealthy older women in Dorset’s historic downtown. She suspects retired NYPD police officer Augie Donatelli until he gets himself murdered. Film critic Mitch Berger, who has seen too many movies, is convinced the flasher is a frustrated teenager. As usual in this series, the characters are more interesting than the plot. However, in the last couple books, the author has forced Mitch to lose a lot of weight and sp ...more
Amanda Meggs
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, berger-mitry
I enjoyed this a lot. Mitch has come into his own and there aren't so many references to the racial differences, I was finding them a bit of a drag. The ending took me by surprise although I feel like it shouldn't have, could be because I'm on holiday! I'm also pleased Yolie might have met someone and Rico gets to be a dad. It's nice that the characters are actually moving on like real people.
Chi Dubinski
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Film critic Mitch Berger discovers that old neighbors from New York have moved to Dorset. Beth Breslauer was a young single mother, and her son Kenny was a friend of Mitch’s. State Trooper Des Mitry is on the trail of the Dorset Flasher, a man who has been exposing himself to the elderly residents of town. Des suspects Augie Donatelli, a retired police detective, of being the flasher, but when he is beaten to death with a baseball bat, she turns her attention to investigating his murder.
Nancy H
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series, and I think that anyone who enjoys the Philip Craig series set on Martha's Vineyard will also enjoy this one set in nearby (sort of) Dorset, Connecticut. Mitch and Des are an unlikely and absolutely great couple and when they put their minds together to solve mysteries, it is almost as good as when they put their bodies together to make some heat (tastefully done, of course).
Jill
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was happy to get this book to read. The book prior left me a little disappointed. This one set everything right. I love these two character and the small island they live on. As always, Handler glorious convoluted stories intrigue you and you will not be disappointed. Fun read.
Phyllis
Jan 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Actually made it through this book, but this is not saying much. I don't know if it is the weather, the state of the world (not just the union), or just my state of mind, but I am stuggling to find a book that is a satisfying read. My apologies to David Handler, but not my cup of tea.
Leslie Angel
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Almost a 4 just because I enjoy visiting with the characters so much--Mitch, a schlubby Jewish movie critic from NY and Des, a 6-foot black (female) cop/artist in a great New England setting. I did not guess this one.
Sonya
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Tried and tried... just couldn't get into it.
Chris Burland
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great improvement over the previous Berger & Mitry book. Handler successfully negotiated the troubles of the rift between the two main characters.
Carrie
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
No icebox questions here, :)
E Goldberg
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Like this series. Good plot and dialog.
Warren
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. There was very little bad language and the storyline really kept my interest. There were a few unexpected twists and turns and I was able to picture the story as it progressed.
Gretchen
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the seventh book in this series. I really like the characters and I like this author. I read the other series he wrote before this one too.
Steve
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I reading a couple of the books in this series, but this one certainly keeps the humor and cuteness going. A fun couple of hour read of a "summer beach mystery".
Jean
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-myst-susp
I rated it 4 but it was more like 3.5.
Al Stoess
Feb 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
It did not make a great deal of sense.
Kesha
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love me some Des and Mitch!!!
Mary
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A well-written mystery set on the Connecticut shore -- what's not to like?
Amanda Woodward
A nice, easy summer afternoon on the deck read.
Diane Heath
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This is the first of this series that I have seen or read. Sadly I was not enthralled with the story and doubt that I will look for more in the series.
Milo Baumgartner
Jul 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
coming 1 5 Sep 23, 2010 01:54PM
  • A Thankful Love (Richards Family, #1)
  • Before Dawn Breaks
  • Somebody To Love
  • Aaren
  • Life, A.D.: Life, After. Dez. (Atman City, #1)
  • Being Plumville
  • Jack & Diane
  • Riding The Snake
  • The Night and the Music
  • Original Love
  • Crossing The Line
  • Adrienne (Bron Universe, #1)
  • Blindsided
  • Worth Waiting For
  • A Whisper to a Scream
  • Unfinished Business
  • Scarred (The Anderson Brothers #1)
  • Three Wishes
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

Berger and Mitry (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3)
  • The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4)
  • The Sweet Golden Parachute (Berger and Mitry, #5)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • The Blood Red Indian Summer (Berger and Mitry, #8)
  • The Snow White Christmas Cookie (Berger and Mitry, #9)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)