Start by marking “Dog Blood (Hater, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dog Blood (Hater, #2)

Dog Blood (Hater #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  3,255 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
The Earth has been torn apart. Everyone is either Human or Hater. Victim or killer. Major cities have become vast refugee camps where human survivors cower together in fear. Amidst this indiscriminate fighting and killing, Danny McCoyne is on a mission to find his daughter, Ellis. Free of inhibitions, unrestricted by memories of the previous world, and driven by instinct, ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published June 8th 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Blood

karen
seriously - a one-day-read feels so good after spending two weeks on one book; it is freeing to remember that it can be done and still have time left over to watch step up2 - the streets!! (those motherfuckers danced in the rain! talk about risking it all!)

this is the middle book in a trilogy, so don't go running out to read it based on the "strength" of this review without first going out and getting hater.it is a fun bloody romping zombie-ish book that is a page-turning good time for those of
Greg
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Karen's review says just about sums up the book.

I read books like this for cool shit to happen. For instance, to read about a child killing an adult by eating through the persons chest. Maybe this isn't too realistic but it's cool shit. I want my horror novels to read like they were written by a sociopath. I want blood and gore, and fuck redeeming social value. More blood, more gore! Kill! Kill! Kill!

This book delivers on the good stuff at the start and end of the book, but then gets mired dow
Schnaucl
Two and a half stars. (Some spoilers for Hater)

I realized about halfway through that I was forcing myself to get through the book. Never a good sign.

Part of what made Hater so good was how chilling Danny's behavior was after his change. He was 100% certain that he had to kill the Unchanged or they would kill him and during the kills he experience euphoria.

In this book there was a bit of the euphoria but I never found his behavior chilling. While in Hater he acted on instinct in this book Danny s
Jason
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
4.5 Stars

I am such a big fan of David Moody as an author. I also love the genre that he specializes in, the post-apocalyptic. This book, Dog Blood is the second in the hater series. As I have mentioned before Moody does a superb job at making these horror stories about people. He creates characters that are true to life and three dimensional. Moody's Autumn series worked by creating a world filled with characters like you and me. There were no superheroes in that one, and many were very likable.
Alina
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Nice page-turner, with lots of action, killing, gore. Interesting to see things through the eyes of a Hater, to see the planning and the reasoning, but not likely to be able to identify with the character.
Robert Beveridge
David Moody, Dog Blood (Thomas Dunne Books, 2010)

Unlike (I assume) most prospective readers of Moody's latest, Dog Blood, I have not read its prequel, Hater. (And judging by Dog Blood's end, I'm going to posit that this is the middle book in a pending trilogy.) I am familiar with moody through the Autumn quartet, which I read four or five years ago and which have become something of a self-publishing success story, not only launching what has since become one of the most popular small horror pre
Lori
From author for review -

It's war baby, and the Unchanged don't stand a chance.

In Dog Blood, the sequel to David Moody's novel Hater, No one cares about what caused the Hate anymore. Self-preservation is the priority. The world is beginning to fall apart, buildings rotting away or damaged in battle. Food and clean water is becoming harder and harder to come by. Unchanged men, women, and children slowly begin to move into the cities, cramming themselves into office buildings, and apartments, wait
Jo Anne B
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I went onto this book right after the first book and was a little let down with it. In the very beginning I felt the author took a cop out when he said it didn't matter what caused this to happen, it did, now we just have to deal with it. I was looking for more of an explanation and this made me feel like the author couldn't explain it so he made it seem irrelevant to the characters in the book. Now, I praise Moody all the time for his books being realistic and if this were to happen I
Badseedgirl
Dog Blood by David Moody is the second book in his “Hater” series. It has been a year since the world collapsed under the weight of the “Haters.” What is left of the “Unchanged” has been forced into overcrowded and unprepared refugee areas in the city centers. Life for the “Unchanged” has become almost intolerable in these centers but the risk of the Haters prowling the outskirts is a deterrent for them.

This novel is still told from the viewpoint of our favorite anti-hero Danny McCoyne. It is so
Suspense Magazine
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart, “Dog Blood” by David Moody is a gritty and gruesome look into the world after the Hate takes over, separating the population in two. Those inflicted by this vicious change of heart only feel satisfied when in the throes of violence and attacking the Unchanged. Complete annihilation has become the only thing that matters to people that were once very much like us. While the Unchanged—in an effort to continue some semblance of normal life—have moved into small-sequester ...more
Thee_ron_clark
The world has quickly turned into a post-apocalyptic night mare following a change in about a third of the population known simply as The Hate. The people infected with it are called haters. Those who have gone through the change have an overwhelming desire to kill those who have not.

The unchanged masses are pushed into secured areas patrolled by heavily-armed soldiers. Rations and living space are becoming more and more difficult to come by as any excursions out of the secure zones are general
Jenni Arndt
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased-own
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

After being blown away by Hater I was quick to run out and buy the remaining books in the series, Dog Blood and Them or Us. Hater had the perfect build up, and I was right there with the McCoyne's as the world went to hell. In Dog Blood we are once again treated to alternating perspectives, but here we have, of course, Danny's perspective and we alternate between that and a third person narration following an unchanged named Mark around as he trie
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intellectual horror fiends
I love the premise of these books, and this was a good read, but I think "second in a trilogy" syndrome applies here. The couple of issues I had with the first book still exist, and my questions have yet to be resolved. Nevertheless, it's a good read and does introduce a couple of new elements to the mix. Like the first book, I felt that the first two thirds of this were a little slow, but once it picked up momentum it really packed a punch. David Moody really knows how to finish a book! I can't ...more
David Bradley
This is a weak follow-up to Moody's Hater, the first book in this series. What I loved about the first book was the main character's development arc -- how Danny reacted to a world going to hell, mostly by not reacting (until the end of that book). In this second book, the world is already hell, and remains hell. In the first book, the world changed, but Danny didn't, and it worked. In the second book, the world stays the same, but Danny's changes, and it flops. Problem is, the changes Danny und ...more
Joanna
Aug 26, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book in the beginning. I enjoyed the way the author layed out the story on a day to day basis. Internal narrative of a person. Followed by the first person of the man character.

The work interaction was funny, bringing back fond memories of office space and TP reports.

The protagonists kids in the story were annoying and left me thinking they needed that nanny from the reality show.

Then it just got boring. I can't say exactly when it happened, but it did. At some point what I
Alondra
3.5 Stars

The evolution of Haters, and the devolution (descent or degeneration to a lower or worse state) of the rest of humanity. We got a taste of different factions; if you will; of Haters...or maybe, different levels of Hater-dom; not really sure how to describe it. I have the feeling that the children were much worse, than the adults. "children have no memory of before, ...they are pure hate."

We get really in depth with how our main character, Danny McCoyne; is adjusting and evolving as a H
Michelle
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book in Moody's Hater trilogy. I really enjoyed this one as well, it didn't lose my interest and was just as good as the first, in my opinion. No vampires or zombies, just human monsters; but monsters nevertheless. These books are about a Hate that has taken over some people and this book focuses on the fighting between the Haters and the Unchanged. Very violent, with blood and gore, along with a human side. Really enjoyed the first and the second, now onto the third.
Shanon
Wonderful! I had a hard time putting this book down. Hater grabbed my attention and it’s sequel, Dog Blood, kept it.

We continue to follow Danny and get more insights into the mind of a Hater. I didn’t really like Danny when we first met him in Hater but I really liked him in this one. He was stronger and less whiny about his situation. Danny’s world is bloody, graphic, violent and terrifying. I can’t get enough!

I’m still insanely curious about the cause of the Haters and really hope that the ne
Helen
Somehow not as satisfying as 'Hater', probably because it's the second book of the trilogy. Feels akin to a difficult 'second album'. Although it does have some vaguely interesting social commentary on the nature of war and the pointlessness of terrorism, there wasn't the same thrill and terror of the unknown that was part of the first book, and the sections on the experiences of Mark, one of the 'Unchanged', felt incomplete, and the lack of explanation as to what caused the outbreak of 'Hate' i ...more
Corey
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No mistake, Dog Blood is not for everyone, and there are many who will see little value in its intense cynicism and graphic violence. But connoisseurs of the genre will realize the craft behind the mayhem, and will appreciate Moody's refusal to enliven his grim fairy tale with humour or hope. This is the horror of blood and guts, the horror of vintage Romero and Fulci, and if you're not prepared for it, why are you reading it?

Read the rest of the review here.
Mika Harjula
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Still out of control and brutal as the previous. Story developing to something deeper as Danny is trying to understand the meaning to all this madness. More finesse to the story. Meanwhile some more splatter and death as the Haters looking for someones face to kick in. Awesome! Horrible but fascinating. Hair-raising. High speed.
Lynn
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book which was an easy one sit read, was very good, fast paced, with characters, whether good or bad...made it easy to relate to and have an emotional connection with. The action and violence was fierce yet easy to visualize.
Sg
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well written apocalypse horror. Would have given it 5 from 5 if not for the predictable ending about 100 pages from the end, but a fab read nonetheless. Am saving book 3 to read as a treat, hoping its as good as the first two.
Nicole
Feb 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my sort of read..I went into this thinking it was more zombie based since I hadn't read the first book, Hater. I was naive and wrong. The scene is laid out nicely but the main character was difficult for me to give a $&@w about. ;/ It is well worth a read to those more seasoned in this genre.
Chelsea
kinda drug out till the end and then got better
Si Barron
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
Well, here’s a bleak but rollicking read.

Our protagonist Danny is a ‘Hater’, a zombie who rampages across the countryside in search of his child: also a zombie. I use the word ‘zombie’ cautiously (it occurs only once in the book) for, although Haters have some zombie-like traits (they kill non-zombies indiscriminately) they are essentially normal individuals; they aren’t ‘undead’; they will injure and die as humans; they are rational and caring towards their ‘own’; they have fears and doubts.

W
Geoff Battle
Following on from Hater's fast and furious not-quite-a-zombie action tale, Dog Blood follows the same character as he tries to unite himself with his daughter. The country has descended further in to chaos as the Unchanged up the ante against the Haters and what could have been simply rinse and repeat (like the Autumn series) has an interesting quirk. Midpoint, by which point nothing has really happened, Dog Blood turns in to a scenario more akin to the military genre, where the concept (althoug ...more
amandanothere
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit.

Started out a bit slow for me, but whatever action was missing in the first half was jam-packed into the second half and it was so violent and full of gore and murder but I couldn't put it down.
Tracy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
The second of the trilogy is even more intense. I'm very pleased with these books. Can't wait to start the final book.
Matt Nord
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are several things about zombie novels and movies that are disturbing. The thought of the dead rising and feasting on the flesh of the living. The idea of something that used to be a friend our loved one becoming and mindless, undead, killing cannibal. I purposely used the word “killing” and not “murdering.”

There are several things that are disturbing about the 28 … Later movies, as well. People you knew and loved becoming infected with a virus that causes uncontrollable rage and insanity.
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • Dying to Live (Dying to Live, #1)
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
  • Xombies
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Monster Nation (Monster Island, #2)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Down the Road
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • The Rage Plague
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Beyond Exile (Day by Day Armageddon,# 2)
  • Breeding Ground
David Moody was born in 1970 and grew up in Birmingham on a diet of trashy horror and pulp science fiction books and movies. He worked as a bank manager and as operations manager for a number of financial institutions before giving up the day job to write about the end of the world for a living. He has written a number of horror novels, including AUTUMN, which has been downloaded more than half a ...more
More about David Moody...

Hater (4 books)