Start by marking “The Subtle Build of Perfection” as Want to Read:
The Subtle Build of Perfection

The Subtle Build of Perfection

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Connor Morgan lives a life of mediocrity. Hopelessly single, he spends his time working at the video store with his insane friend Boyd. But Connor gets the distraction he needs in the form of his newest customer: beautiful, green-eyed Dane Masters. Before Connor can wrap his mind around their instant connection, he's dealing with the kind of obsession that can only lead to ...more
Published by Cobblestone Press (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Subtle Build of Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subtle Build of Perfection

☆ Todd
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

"The Subtle Build of Perfection" was just that.

My very favorite part of romances is the part at the beginning. Meeting that person, overcoming awkwardness enough to ask them out. The first few dates, feeling one another out, getting to know the other person and their quirks. It's just so much fun.

And that's precisely what this story was. It spanned the first two weeks in the relationship of video clerk Connor and social worker Dane, as they met and began to fall in love.

I loved the snark and ban
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The entire story happens in a vacuum, with no sense of time or place. No one talks about vacationing in the "South East." What does that even mean?

And who works in a video shop? There hasn't been a brick and mortar video store within 100 miles of my house for five years. Even my parents stream movies.

Still, this was a super cute novella with some fun dialogue; almost no steam but lots of sweetness.

The ending came far too quickly, but I enjoyed the easy humour and Boyd the Genius.
Ele
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

D'aww......you guys! I loved this short story!

Lola Carson/ L.M.Turner or whatever her name is, should write MORE!

This is a pretty simple story but it definitely fullfills its purpose and captures ALL the feelings about:

...having a crash on someone and melting a little bit every time you see them.

...the first few dates when you feel all giddy and nervous and tongue-tied.

...the first few kisses and trying to not come on too strong when all you want to do is tackle them to the ground and
SheReadsALot
You know those in-between reads that are just romantic and plain cute? That's this one. It was a simple man-man love story with cute characters and sweet buildup. Me likey. No drama just cuteness but I didn't get a cavity from reading.

I'm going to go find a heart shaped pillow to go hug now (don't own one but next heart shaped item I see is getting a hug, damn it).

NARF!
Gigi
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gigi by: Renée

I really, truly loved this book. The characters were compelling and witty and there were several scenes with MC Connor's best friend Boyd that had me laughing out loud, but this didn't pass the muster for me as a romance novella.

Video clerk Connor meets social worker MC Dane at his store and the two start a lengthy flirtation before finally starting to date. They are obviously smitten with one another and well on their way to a stunning romantic romance full of passionate, mind melting sex. But
Renée
Pay no attention to the bad cover or even the blurb (it's not really all that accurate of a portrayal in my opinion), and listen up! This is my most favorite novella of all time! It's utterly perfect in every way.

Connor works at a video store, and he falls right into the most beautiful green eyes he's ever seen that belong to a customer. That's it, that's all I'm giving you.

I'm one who really prefers full-length to novellas, but this story is one of my all time favorite reads. The perfection of
Td
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-and-easy
This a "what I needed, when I needed it" type of book. Short, cute, light, sweet, zero drama that had me grinning. And Boyd was awesome-"Dude, are you sexiling me?" That was a first for me, lol.

Anyway, so now I see this author also wrote Resistance. I read it, I rated it, I even wrote a brief sentence stating how much I liked it...and don't remember anything about it, nothing, not even reading it. Weird, I usually remember at the very least if I read a book and the general feeling. It's like get
Sara
...it had been a couple of weeks, hardly any time at all, but fuck it—it was enough. Enough to love.

Why haven't I read this before??? ACK!! This was adorable. I loved Connor and Dane and how they fell so hard and fast for one another. But even though they fall hard, this was a believable, realistic, sweet and sexy whirlwind romance.

This was so good.

Pixie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: man-on-man-luvin
Very sweet.
Kassa
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a very cute short novella about a video store clerk and the customer he falls for. The story is sweet and romantic, detailing the romance between Connor and Dane that mostly happens over the phone since Dane leaves town soon after their first date. The two come to know each other long distance and their connection is only cemented when Dane returns to town. This is not explicit and the roommate Boyd nearly steals the show. It’s a good introduction to the author and makes for a fun, adora ...more
Ami
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
It's a cute story about the beginning of a relationship, between a video store clerk and a social worker. The event happened for two weeks but half of them they are actually apart, and there were some cute phone exchange in between. While as a reader, at one point, I wanted to pull my hair in frustration because the two seem to tease but did not make it through more than just a couple of kiss, I still enjoy the "build of perfection" ... because it's nice to read that point than simply j
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, m-m
If you're looking for a good palate cleanser after all the angst-filled, drama ridden stories that flood the genre, this is what you want to read. It was so refreshing to read a book about two normal guys (no cops, no secret agents, no rent boys, no self-loathing closet cases) who meet in a normal way (at a video store), who flirt for awhile and then go on a date (no insta-love but no months of denying it either) and make a connection. This is what love is like in the real world and it made the ...more
Mely
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Tall, laid-back Jared Connor works in a video store with his roommate Chad I forget his name Chad; pretty green-eyed social worker Jensen Dane meets him while returning videos. Not much happens, in an enjoyable way. Sweet but sketchy -- could have used more scene-setting (I don't even know what continent the city they live in is) and a bit more character description.

Nice enough, but you can find better J2 for free.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This is a sweet and easy read..no drama, no angst, no shootouts or homophobic family or near death experiences ...
Just Conner who works in a video store and meets Dane at work.
Dane keeps coming into the store and there really is a subtle build up to their relationship, except of course when Boyd gets involved, he is not subtle, but he is very funny!
So, I'm not sure if it will stay with me long, but I enjoyed it while I was reading it!
Lala
Warm, fuzzy feelings all around!

Loved this little gem. Funny, sweet, light, and the characters were adorable. Especially Boyd! I wouldn't mind if author turned him gay and wrote a sequel about him. ;)
Shelby P
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, new-to-me-author
See, guys can get to know each other and take it slow in m/m romances. I enjoyed Connor and Dane's slow build of perfection. Boyd was very witty and I loved his snarky comments! I wish we were given the guys' ages but other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this novella.
Lucy
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, no angst story of how video clerk Connor and social worker Dane meet and fall in love. Connors roommate Boyd adds some snarky comic relief and the guys are cute.
Sophie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book
A sweet and cute lazy Sunday morning read. It might work even better if it was longer and more fleshed out, but if you want something short and sweet this is a good choice.
Karen K
I don’t usually give novellas anything higher than a 3 mainly because they usually lack the connection I like to make with the characters, but this book was just so sweet that I couldn’t resist. I loved Connor in all his naive, bumbling insecurity and Dane is a beautiful, teasing character, not to mention the hilariously sarcastic Boyd. The plot, though short, held my interest and I couldn’t wait for the couple to actually get together. A sweet, sweet read I’d recommend. I hope to find more by t ...more
Magnolia
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book should have been called, The Slow Build of Perfection. Though I hesitate to see where the word perfection was in relevance to this book. I wasn't happy with the ending. It felt like it was cut way too short and I was left feeling like I just didn't get it. Would have been much happier if I knew there was another book coming out that would explore their relationship-after the fact that they are officially together. I hate it when the characters finally get it on and then the book is don ...more
Ridley
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, 2-star, read-2011, m-m
This was a shorty at ~20k words, so there's not much to review. Boy meets boy, boy flirts with boy, boys have slight misunderstanding, boys have sex, boys fall in luuuuuuurve.

What marks this as below average for me is a herky-jerky writing style with abrupt scene changes, a lack of internal conflict and a rather rushed ending. It's remarkably unsubstantial for the purchase price.
Norma
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fun, sweet albeit short story. This novella has great characters and a great story. Connor and Dane are shy, insecure, sweet and wonderful together.

My only complaint is that the story ended before I wanted it to! I highly recommend it.
Kaetrin
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, ebook
3.5 stars. Cute short story.

From my blog (October Reads, 2010 post)
B- Very good not very explicit ebook short story about a video store clerk and the customer who falls for him. Shows the early development of a relationship and the "does he like me?" very well.
Anara Bella
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into m/m romance. A friend recommended this book so I decided to give it a try and much to my surprise, I totally enjoyed it from start to finish. I love this author's voice and the way she tells a story, so much so that I'll be checking out her other book too. =)

Anara
melek
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read about Dante social worker comes into an video store to rent movies but thats not all he wants he want conner bt finally manages to build up to asking on a date. funny moments. read if u like something simple and short
Chris
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, done, ebook, owned, romance, gay, short
Good short m/m romance about a video store clerk and the video store customer who keeps coming in and renting movies to see him. This story definitely managed to capture the awkwardness of meeting someone, trying to figure out if that person is attracted to you, and so forth.
Nik
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a sweet, romantic, funny book.The ending kinda through me though. With all the talk of sex to come the author could have at least written in the intercourse scene.Very disappointed with the end but a good enough book to pass the time.
O'Lynch
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
loved. this. book! steamy with anticipation. loved the snarky sidekick. only complaint is that I didn't want it to end.
Dana
Sep 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Short but cute.
Amanda
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A very sweet and easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Something to Believe In
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Lead Us Not
  • For Those Who Wait
  • Lazy Sundays
  • Do-over
  • A Limited Engagement
  • Dirty Hero (Zero to Hero, #2)
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Imperfect
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Better Than New
  • Aquamarine
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • A Bar Tender Tale (Bar Tenders, #1)
  • Truthful Change
  • Watching Elijah Fall

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Hell Breaks Loose
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
  • 99 Days
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Sunshine
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wingman (Alpha Male, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
  • The Last Move
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Turn, Right Direction (The Bourbon Street Boys, #4)
  • I've Got Your Number
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Ink My Heart (Luminescent Juliet, #2)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Highland Surrender
  • Voyage of the Heart
  • Good Boy (WAGs, #1)
  • Even the Score
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Point of No Return (Kathleen Turner, #5)
  • 180 Seconds
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 8 Bodies is Enough (Body Movers, #8)
    $6.99 $2.49