Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel

Doctor Who: The Ring of Steel (BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives #8)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Arthur Darvill ("Rory" from Doctor Who) reads this exclusive audio adventure featuring the Eleventh Doctor and Amy

When the TARDIS lands on Orkney in the near future, the Doctor and Amy arrive to find a large demonstration in progress over the construction of new electricity pylons. The Doctor tries to break things up peacefully – but suddenly the road splits open without w
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published 2010 by BBC Books

Camille
Throughout this entire story, there was one question I found myself asking repeatedly:

What the heck?!

I hate being critical of the hard work of others - especially when there's a group of people out there who like and praise it. But this entire audio story was a mess that made no sense to me whatsoever.

Firstly, it's read by the extremely talented Arthur Darvill, whose voice is a pleasure to listen to (I was also surprised to learn that his 'reading' voice is very different to his 'Rory' voice). B
Kimberley doruyter
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
??
Trent
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Aurthur Darvil, why can't you narrate 1/3 of the things I read? (Sir Patrick Steward and Sir Ian McKellen reserve full rights to the remaining 2/3, however.)

A very enjoyable read. It's a story that'd be too expensive to realize in a typical episode of Doctor Who, so you have the opportunity to join the Doctor and Amy for a truly fantastic adventure.

That said, even though this is my second Doctor Who audio book, I'm starting to notice a distinct pattern in plot structure: seemingly normal situati
Natalia
Extra star because Arthur Darvill.
Leila Anani
Arthur Darvill (Rory) reads this Matt Smith/Amy Pond adventure which is a little bit weird as Rory the character doesn't feature. So the Doctor and Amy visit the Orkney Islands and get caught up in protest marches against metal pylons being erected in prominent historic and beautiful sight seeing spots. The pylons mixed with Tarmac off the roads come to life and start marching and it is all some elaborate plan of invading aliens who suck the life from planets then move on.

Story is a bit weak I m
Keri Payton
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

When Amy and the Doctor arrive in Orkney in the near future, they discover a large group of protesters who don't like the new electricity pylons destroying their landscape.

What they don't know, is that these pylons have a far more sinister agenda. Soon, roads begin opening without warni
Megan
Feb 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Stephen Cole fans
I'm sorry to say the Stephen Cole's audio book for the 11th Doctor really, really sucks. I mean it is just downright terrible. I mean *tries to laugh* the Amy and the Doctor are fighting Pylons. And are fighting an alien, the Caskelliac that use Pylons and other electrical devices for power. It never felt like the Doctor was in danger or like there was even a Monster of the Week.

Arthur Darvill who plays Rory in the tv show reads this audio book. He does an okay job. Darvill is able to do differ
April
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A rather good, if predictable and silly in parts, short audio drama of the 11th Doctor with Amy (and rather well narrated by Arthur Darvill; despite the fact that Rory is nowhere to be seen in this story!).

The Doctor and Amy show up in Scotland in the Orkney Islands and appear to be at a protest around some huge steel electricity pylons going up. When things start getting creepy (moving pylons, people sucked completely dry of energy) the Doctor and Amy get to saving the town (and the world).

The
lukk
Самое замечательное, что есть в этой аудиокниге – это Артур Дарвилл, ее читающий. Нарадоваться не могу на его нарраторские способности :) Звуковое сопровождение в виде всяких там завываний и шорохов на высоте, как и во всех аудио-эксклюзивах. Даже жалко, что на выходе получилась такая фигня.

Книга не дала возможности заскучать за час времени, но глупости и нелепости свели на нет любую задумку, к тому же она оказалась погребена под слоем беготни и спасения очередных жертв обстоятельств/инопланетно
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
A surprisingly uninspired Doctor Who tale from Stephen Cole "The Ring of Steel" sees the Doctor, Amy and Rory facing a true crisis of energy policy in the form of moving monstrous electricity towers. A bunch of demonstrators are also involved.

Everything is this story is safe and mediocre. Many of the concepts might feel silly but mostly they just come across bland and loaned; I don't know which is worse. Cole's language is okay but theres's nothing unique about it; the same applies to the whole
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid
  • Doctor Who: The Gemini Contagion
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll
  • Doctor Who: Day of the Cockroach
  • Doctor Who: The Last Voyage
  • Doctor Who: The Eye of the Jungle
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase
  • Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes
  • Doctor Who: Borrowed Time
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army (Doctor Who)
See also: Steve Cole.

Stephen Cole (born 1971) is an English author of children's books and science fiction. He was also in charge of BBC Worldwide's merchandising of the BBC Television series Doctor Who between 1997 and 1999: this was a role which found him deciding on which stories should be released on video, commissioning and editing a range of fiction and non-fiction titles, producing audioboo
More about Stephen Cole...

BBC Doctor Who: New Series Audio Exclusives (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Forever Trap
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Doctor Who: The Rising Night (Audio Original)
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll