Start by marking “Souls Raised from the Dead” as Want to Read:
Souls Raised from the Dead

Souls Raised from the Dead

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In her first novel in more than ten years, Betts brings her narrative gifts to bear on the powerful and moving story of a Southern family in crisis. Armed with courage, humor, and a shaky faith in God, the family and their friends face a most devastating event--the slow death of a beloved child.
Published February 9th 1995 by Touchstone Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Souls Raised from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Souls Raised from the Dead

Jessica
Apr 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I really wish I hadn't wasted my time with this one! This was for my book club and I'd really like to know who recommended it and why. The story is set in Chapel Hill, NC and follows Mary and her father Frank, three years before the story starts Mary's mother walks out on their family and it's just been Mary and her father ever since. Right before Mary turns 13 she is diagnosed with a serious kidney disease and the rest of the book is her dealing with the disease and her father basically fr ...more
Martha
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading Doris Betts, but she is a keeper. This book is about the loss of a child to an incurable illness. She has a family that loves her very much, in particular her father, a highway patrolman. She has two sets of grandparents and a mother who is way too self-absorbed to be a mother.

The book is set right here in the triangle, another thing that I liked about it.
Debbie Maskus
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book's opening scene provides fun and excitement that soon changes to boredom. The book contains no chapters, just one long and wordy descent into the chasm. The books description predicted the death of the main character, and that death was long in arriving. I expected a better novel. I am sure that Doris Betts thought she was emulating James Joyce when she wrote this stream on consciousness, but the method deteriorated the story.
Caitlyn
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Althea May
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was really amazing. Though it was very sad, the characters were easy to relate to (or be really frustrated at) and it was a very well-thought out book, accurate in my opinion both medically and psychologically. Leominster Library has a copy.
Moira Crone
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What I learned from this book is a new way for my heart to break. The little girl is wonderful, her family strange and real, and the lessons of the book have never left me. I read it ten years ago, still think about it.
Kelly
May 04, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-southern
Feeling unsure about reading this one. Love the fact that it's a Southern novel that includes horses (what could be better than that?!?), but not so sure I can handle the terminal illness thing.
LeAnne
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full of surprises. Very interesting North Carolina cultural tidbits
Tony
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Betts is a wonderful (and overlooked) author from North Carolina. In this novel, like all her work she creates power with understatement, emotion without sentimentality.
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. I cried a lot reading it but it was beautiful!
Vicki Mollenauer
Very sad. Not my favorite book, but I did love the little girl. The ending left me feeling kind of lost.
Pastor Pam Estes
Similar to Jodi Picoult's books on troubled families with sick children. Powerful perspective on the effects of violence
Ann
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
It took a little while to get into this book, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.
Pammie
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • News of the Spirit
  • God's Fool: A Novel
  • Alexey Dyed in Red (The Zhakieve Chronicles #1)
  • In-Flight Entertainment
  • Ferris Beach
  • Household Saints
  • Uncertain Voyage
  • Starting Out in the Evening
Doris Betts (1932-2012), former Chancellor of the Fellowship of Southern Writers, wrote nine novels and three collections of short stories, including The Gentle Insurrection, The Sharp Teeth of Love, Souls Raised from the Dead, which won the Southern Book Award, and Beasts of the Southern Wild, which was a finalist for the National Book Award. Betts taught at the University of North Carolina at Ch ...more
More about Doris Betts...