Start by marking “Traveler” as Want to Read:
Traveler

Traveler

The eagerly anticipated follow-up to Ron McLarty’s poignant and deep-souled debut, The Memory of Running

When Ron McLarty’s debut novel, The Memory of Running, appeared, the publishing world sat up and took notice. Now, McLarty is back with another reason to cheer the arrival of his distinctive new voice. Jono Riley is an aging part-time actor and bartender trying to make
Published January 18th 2007 by Viking Adult (first published 2007)

J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
TRAVELER was my second McClarty book after his extraordinary THE MEMORY OF RUNNING. This is a fine novel that showcases this author's brilliant writing.
Ryan Cooper
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Ultimately a frustrating read. Not as good as his first book, The Memory of Running. The main character in this story, Jono, is the epitome of an anti-hero, and unfortunately he never quite became a compelling character to me. The biggest problem I had with Traveler is that the main dramatic action that is initially laid out in the beginning of the book simply disappears as the story goes on. It's hard to reveal much more without giving away the plot, but I'm sure anyone that has read this story ...more
Chuck
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as The Memory of Running, but it was still very good. It has a similar style and feel to it as MoR.... The lovable, semi-loser today, with his childhood storyline interlaced every other chapter.
Ron McLarty is a professional actor and brings a lot to the table when he narrates his own audio books.
Should be 4.5 stars from me.
Alisa
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was a look at how the ties that bind can be the ties that cut, the ties that hold us back, and how they eventually set us free. Interesting look at the dying breed of blue collar middle class men. What have we lost in our rush to college education? What happened to OJT? And how do we make peace with the uglier side of life?
Audrey
May 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I've read Ron's previous book and was happy to see this one in the book store...so, I bought it. The storyline goes as follows: A middle-aged guy in NYC half off off off off broadway actor/half bartender returns to his native East Providence,RI for his childhood friend, Marie's funeral. Marie was shot in the back by a mysterious gunman, survived, but ultimately was killed in adulthood by the bullet because it became a "traveller."
Upon his return to East Providence, Ron inevitably runs into old f
Laurel Bradley
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ron McLarty has done it again.

Ron McLarty, author of The Memory of Running, writes of wonderfully human protagonists whose lives and experiences resonate with the reader. Jono Riley is an aging bartender and part-time actor with a wonderful girlfriend and a fear of commitment. The death of Maria D’Agostino—Jono’s childhood friend and first love—compels Jono to return to his childhood neighborhood.

In chapters alternating between present day and the past, McLarty paints a vivid portrait of growin
Michael
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Jono Riley met Marie D'Agostino at a tender age and immediately fell in love with her. Although the feelings were not know as to be mutual, he never stopped hoping that they would spend their life together. Jono loves everything about her, from the way she looks, how she carries herself and everything that is between. Hopes of their relationship blossoming is torn apart when she tragically dies, now Jono must confront his past without her.

Sadly these two characters saved this book from being for
Paul Barton
A neat storyline where a middle-aged actor is drawn to the scene of his youth to untangle a shooting incident. McLarty himself is an actor turned novelist and perhaps this shows. His plotting is a touch confusing and there are simply too many characters to keep track of.

The Rhode Island setting felt authentic but the characters less so. Most were vague sketches only which is why they left no impact.

The climax was plausible but fairly lame and left me wanting a better explanation.
Charly
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone especially anyone with RI rootsor ties
Mc Larty has carved out a style that blends the past and present in his novels without detracting from the piece. He is a native Rhode islander and a contemporary of mine at Rhode Island College so his references to places and events from our youth are particularly pleasing to see woven into the context of the piece.

He tells an interesting tale and brings to light very real emotions and feelings as his characters develop.
Maxine
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wavered about how to comment on this audio book. As a Portguese-American, child of the 60s, I could definitely relate to the memories and settings (RI, NYC) depicted in Traveler. Ron McLArty was a terririfc reader and the audio was well-paced and nuanced. Ultimately, though, I grew weary of the reminiscing and self-deprecating comments on the part of the main character. The mystery of who shot Marie was telegraphed long before the text actually revealed it.
Shar
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Karen
Recommended to Shar by: Spouse
Interesting read -- the protagonist is about my age. The story goes back and forth between significant events during his school years and his life today. Several "mysteries" are answered at the end, but not in neat and "happily ever after way," which would out of sync with the story (and life). Well written and I will definetly watch for other books by him.
Carrie
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the second book by McLarty that I've read and I am worried that he can only write by alternating chapters between the past and the present. I stayed up nights totally drawn in to this book, only to be kind of disappointed with the ending and left with the desire to rip the last chapter right out of the book because I have no idea what it is doing in there.
Beth
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Wow. True to life. Life is what you make it and around every corner lies a surprise. I enjoyed all of the Rhode Island references an the author reading his own book because his voice was perfect for the story.
Maria
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE Ron McLarty as a narrator. If you're going to "read" his works, better to listen to him narrating his stuff. I really enjoyed this story, with the flashbacks to his childhood friendships.
Cyndee
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cyndee by: Phil
This is a book I couldn't put down and didn't want to end. I don't have the vocabulary to praise it enough.
Georgie
This book is a perfect example of how it's the quiet, unassuming characters and books that can grab you and utterly pull you into their world.

Jono Riley is a 50-something small time actor and most-of-the-time bartender in New York City. When he learns of the death of the first girl he ever loved, Marie, he returns to his home town of East Providence. Marie was the older sister of one of Jono's best friends, Cubby. He had two other best friends, Billy and Bobby. The four of them saw each other th
Sarah Low
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ron McLarty writes very well. I seem to be the only Goodreader who has not read his ‘memory of running’ novel so there will be no comparison. I enjoyed the journey of Jono’s reflections on his childhood and how different childhood events seem when seen from adulthood. He is jaded and damaged but there is happiness and redemption . The character of Renee was somewhat shallow - but did round off the end of the story. Also the bouncer at the bar - he could have had more weight too. I did like the c ...more
Barbara Bryan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Fluctuated between 3 and 4 stars for me. I liked the characters and much of the story. The authors’ forays into deeper philosophical “what is a life” contemplations were less compelling.
Telling the story of Jono Riley and his band of brothers Cubby, Billy and Bobby in East Providence RI. In alternating chapters we follow the boys from ages 11-18 and currently at age 51. Part mystery but largely coming of age it was very readable mixed with some mired down parts.
Cheryl
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ron McLarty is a wonderful author. I was surprised when I came across "The Memory of Running" to find it was written by an actor. I think it was a great book and was happy to find a 2nd book by Mr. McLarty.

"Traveler" is also very good. I love the characters and how the story plays out, alternating between the present and the past. The story is a very realistic, heart-felt tale of a group of boys growing up and growing apart, but still being close together.

Theresa
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good, but not great. 3 1/2 Stars. Maybe because I absolutely loved Memory of Running...maybe hard to live up to? Idk but I did enjoy it, just not a top favorite. The characters were interesting enough, Story was intriguing. Well written. Very good ending too. I’d be interested to read more by this author.
Sheri Howard
I didn't enjoy Traveler quite as much as McLarty's The Memory of Running, but still a good listen.
Onceinabluemoon
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This ain't no road trip!
Jeanette Bell
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book while visiting a friend. A slow start, but then wham, I couldn't put it down. A quiet mystery with great characters and an interesting ending.
Chuck Wallace
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ron McLarty writes clearly and with a sense of understanding for the way people talk and think. I'm only sorry that I didn't discover his work earlier.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book about growing up, knowing yourself and thinking you know those around you, then finding out you didn't
Rhonda
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't work for me. :/
Alyssia Cooke
All in all, this is a novel that goes nowhere for 240 pages and then has ten pages of frantic catch up before ending. Flicking between the present and the past it is difficult to keep track of where you are, let alone all of the barely fleshed out characters.

Twelve year old Marie was shot in the back and the bullet remained lodged close to an artery. Fifty years later the bullet is known as a traveller as it kills her almost instantly by bucking the artery. Our protagonist returns to his home t
Ellen
Jono Riley is a struggling actor/bartender in NYC but instead of being a fresh young face, Jono is 51 years old, divorced, and definitely only off off Broadway caliber. He recieves a letter from a childhood friend, Cubby D'Agostino, informing Jono that Cubby's sister Marie had recently passed away. The letter sends Jono down memory lane and eventually back to East Providence, RI, where he grew up with his 3 best friends, Cubby, Bobby Fontes and Billy Fontarelli. Marie, just two years older than ...more
Kathleen Hagen
Traveler, by Ron McLarty, b-plus, narrated by Ron McLarty, produced by Penguin Audio, downloaded from audible.com. A.

Ron McLarty was a well-known audio narrator as well as an actor, before he published his first book, which became a best seller. This is his second book. He narrated his own prose with just the right flair for working-class Rhode Island.

Publisher’s note:
Jono Riley is an aging bartender and part-time actor in Manhattan who specializes in one-character plays, usually performed in fr
Gloria
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good book, I enjoyed the characters, the flashbacks to the 60's which was a time of my youth too.

The storyteller Jono Riley has returned to East Providence, Rhode Island because his childhood friend, Marie has just died. He hasn't been back in many years. As he returns to his old neighborhood and encounters his old friends he recalls their times as children and teenagers. You meet the families of Jono, Marie, Cubby, Bobby and Billy and the more realistic family dynamics that weren't

• The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • Bone Harvest (Claire Watkins, #4)
  • The Ricky Gervais Show - First, Second and Third Seasons
  • A Person of Interest
  • Person of Interest
  • The Age of Napoleon
  • The Age of Shakespeare (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • A Brief History of the Anglo-Saxons: The Beginnings of the English Nation
  • Life Interrupted: The Unfinished Monologue
  • A Brief History of Britain 1066-1485
  • Lot Lizards
  • The Americas: A Hemispheric History
  • Choose Them Wisely: Thoughts Become Things!
  • The Woodsman's Daughter
  • Reunions Can Be Murder (Charlie Parker #7)
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • Legally Dead
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
A native of East Providence, RI—Ron McLarty is a veteran actor, accomplished playwright, prolific audiobook narrator and acclaimed novelist.

McLarty is also noted for his body of work as one of the country’s leading audiobook narrators having done over 100 titles including the narration of books authored by Stephen King, Danielle Steel, Richard Russo, Elmore Leonard, Ed McBain, David Baldacci and S
“Silence is sometimes the only way to share the unsharable.” 6 likes