Start by marking “The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)

The Thorn of Emberlain

(Gentleman Bastard #4)

Locke Lamora, thief, con-man, pirate, political deceiver is back, and now he must become a soldier.

A new chapter for Locke and Jean and finally the war that has been brewing in the Kingdom of the Marrows flares up and threatens to capture all in its flames.

And all the while Locke must try to deal with the disturbing rumours about his past revealed in The Republic of Thiev
Expected publication: October 12th 2021 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about The Thorn of Emberlain, please sign up.
Jumper RBK There are authors that I throw away from my anticipated list. Those guys are Scott Lynch, GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss. You should do the same, and go ch…moreThere are authors that I throw away from my anticipated list. Those guys are Scott Lynch, GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss. You should do the same, and go check other great authors and books out there.

If their books got release then it's good, otherwise I dun care much, move on. They can just bother themselves with attending con after con, coz completing their book is not the ultimate concern anymore for them, so that is also the same for me, their book doesn't matter to me.(less)

Start your review of The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
Wealhtheow
Oct 21, 2013 marked it as to-read
I just finished The Republic of Thieves and am desperate for the next installment of the Gentleman Bastard series. These books are insanely smart, absurdly funny, and have so many plot twists and HOLY SHIT moments that they're basically adrenaline in novel form. ...more
Adina
May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
OMG! Scott Lynch announced Today he finished the draft. I thought this moment will never come.
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
Take your time, Scott. As dreadful as waiting is, I’d much rather a good book that you put your heart and soul into than a rushed one.

I’ll learn to deal with my impatience... 😔
Anka
Apr 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
AT THIS POINT I WOULD READ THIS MAN'S GROCERY LIST IF HE PUBLISHED IT
Armina
Oct 31, 2013 marked it as to-read

COVER REVEAL!!! And it was on March 4th! A WHOLE week ago. Some fan I am .....!!! How could I've missed this? And how could you, guys?!!! Yes, you(you know who you are)! Credits go to Vippi because I did see the news in her feed! Thanks, ragazza!

description

Also, there are rumors for a "firm"(that's a tricky term when speaking of Scott Lynch) release date of the book(don't trust the July publication date posted here in GR; it's all bullocks, but read more details below):

Charlotte May
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Due to publish October 2021?
What amazing news - my heart can’t wait 😁

I love Locke and Jean and their ruffian bullshit.
Kalibaatje
Jan 06, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Really hope this one has more schemes & thieving... and less girls. Or at least less troubled and illogical girls.
Book 3 was okay, but I really hope 4 picks up the pace again.
Henni Ro
Why do I always read (and love) fantasy book series where the authors take like ages for the next book to publish ???? ... I'm already waiting for years for The Doors of Stone, The Winds of Winter, Oathbringer and now The Thorn of Emberlain ... but they are all books I would wait 10+ years for, because I know they'll be great and good books take time. Still. I hate waiting.

Edit August 3rd 2017 At least Oathbringer is coming out soon!
Mashara
Oct 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
Let's hope it takes less than six years. That is all I need to be happy.

EDIT: As we all know by now, it has not.
BUT, and I did not know this until just now, but the manuscript was delivered about a year ago, 23rd of May 2019. So, the book EXISTS.
It will eventually get to us.
Sean Barrs
Aug 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
I’ve only just finished The Republic of Thieves but I am so pumped to read this right now. It's such a great series, I can't wait to see where it goes in the future. I guess it’s another one to add to my highly anticipated fantasy longlist.
Sep 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-read-now
*looks longingly out a window, a tear slowly falling down my freckled cheek* when will this book be published?
Mayim de Vries
Jun 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
I was just about to read it when...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT RELEASED YET?!

Just kidding. Take all the time you need Mr Lynch, but give me a masterpiece.
My review of The Lies of Locke Lamora.
My review of Red Seas Under Red Skies.
My review of Republic of Thieves.
DarkChaplain
At this point I am feeling really apathetic about this series. The many delays really turned me off. It boggles my mind that this one has nearly 1300 ratings at a 4.31 average rating, when it may as well take another year to reach store shelves if its history is any indication...

I can't be alone with that frustration, right?

Update, December 2019:
I give up. My interest in this series has evaporated. It's been another two years of back and forth, and nothing for over half a year despite the dr
Anne
Maybe not in 2019, but....SOON. Mr. Lynch has announced it is DONE and going to editing. My skin is clearing and my crops are flourishing...

See an ACTUAL picture here.

**************************

New, new update: Book Depository is listing a release date in September 2019. Dare we hope that this could be true, and not a fluke of book selling sites, as previous release dates have been? Dare we? *wheeze*

**************************

New update: This book will not be available in September. As of now, the
Ken Mandap
Every time I look for its publication date on Goodreads and find nothing, I die a little.
Mariah
Jul 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
Anyone wanna get together and drive by Scott Lynch's house to make sure the manuscript- I mean that he is ok? Lmk
Serenity
Aug 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Release tentatively set for Fall 2014!

Vippi
May 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-my-shelf, seguiti
08/17

2016. Delayed again...
I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel...

07/02

September 17th???!

05/05

Cover released!!! :D

We have to wait till July, though.
Nina The Fussy Reader
Jan 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Some day, The Thorn of Emberlain is going to be released so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I'm still around to see it.

'Oh, please,' said Scott.'It'll never happen.'

;) But seriously. I need this book in my life.
Jan 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: maybe
Was it as good as, say, The Way of Kings?

description

Probably not. Yes, it was a very clever book. It wasn't boring and the pacing was great.

But the thing is - I didn't like Locke or his crew all that much.
I'm judging from the entire series now as it's been too long for me to make subtle distinctions but I know that I'm unlikely to pick up this next instalment.

By the end of the third book I was feeling a little angry with Locke for being so star struck and pathetic around his love interest.
I must say - I fe
Diane
Sep 23, 2015 marked it as to-read
Delayed again. it's fine. I'm fine.

Fiona
Jun 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
November? This November? *soft whimper*
Caro
The release date has my approval, the cover does not. Who are those armored goons? And will we witness Locke making fun of them?

WAAAAAAAAAAAH I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE THORN OF EMBERLAIN! I LOVE YOU, LOCKE!
Roz
He has finished the manuscript!!! OMGOMG
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Oh my wonderful cameo. Worth every pound.
Devontae Feller
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
just release already!! second favorite series ever!
Veeral
Apr 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nyp, epic-fantasy
Which one will come out first? The Thorn of Emberlain or The Winds of Winter? Meanwhile, I have my money on Brandon Sanderson publishing 10 new books.
The Damsel in the Library
This is me every time I see the publication is pushed back.

photo tumblr_mzu3by0yxy1qfxydqo1_500_zpsmykjo7i7.gif
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Certainly my most anticipated read of 2016.
No, my most anticipated read EVER.
YES THAT MUCH.
My life need some Locke and Jean, it's been too long !
Kimberley
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
March 2018.... I AM NOT OKAY!!!

Why is Lamora being denied to me??
« previous 1 3 next »
Gentleman Bastards: Predictions for Thorn of Emberlain? 13 519 Feb 12, 2017 05:33AM
The Not a Book Cl...: TToE: Cover reveal 5 66 Mar 05, 2015 02:46PM

• The Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • Firstborn
  • The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
  • Kingkiller Chronicle Patrick Rothfuss Collection 3 Books Box Set -GiftBox(The Wise Man's Fear, The Slow Regard of Silent Things, The Name of the Wind)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen, #3)
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)

Articles featuring this book

There's no such thing as "too many books." That's our mantra (once again) as we welcome a new year full of irresistible reading....