Start by marking “The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus” as Want to Read:
The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus

The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus

From the author of Vegan Soul Kitchen: ingredients that inspire, unique recipes, and menus for everyday feasts. Marking his 10-year anniversary working to create a healthy, just, and sustainable food system, Bryant Terry offers more than just a collection of recipes. In the spirit of jazz jam sessions and hip hop ciphers, The Inspired Vegan presents a collage of food, stor ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Inspired Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inspired Vegan

7jane
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book continues Terry's recipes with a great theme: 12 seasonal menus with various themes, celebrating past history, human rights, great people, certain cities/countries. And not just African heritage stuff here, but also Asian, and combined. At the start there's an inspiration list for making this book, and throughout in recipes are soundtrack recommendations, sometimes also including books and films. The stories before each section are great in raising awareness on rights and importance of ...more
Kathryn
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: seasoned chefs; those interested in connections of food to history, culture, politics and art
First of all, Bryant Terry seems like a really cool guy! You can tell just from that photo on the cover. That hat! That smile! That posture! Reading his introduction, I can tell that he also seems like a very intelligent, compassionate and cultured individual. It is his hope that this book becomes more than just a cookbook, that it will spark readers' interest in history, culture, music, films, and learning more about "food justice" and how what we eat affects not only our bodies but our communi ...more
Lisa Vegan
So, most of these recipes don’t appeal to me too, too much, although quite a few do, and I love that the author specifically encourages reader cooks to deviate from his recipes and make them their own. Big points from me for that!

And, this is one of the few cookbooks where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

It’s meant to be read as a book, not just used to look up and make recipes. Great stories. At menus and recipes are suggested soundtracks and/or books and/or films. There are wonderf
EdibleNotesReviews
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: local-food
As author Bryant Terry admits, he is trying to be a part of the movement to 're-integrate' food with art, culture and community. The Inspired Vegan follows his earlier works in style and substance with the additions of hip music tracks, books, films and iconic cultural movements and individuals to a sweeping but very approachable mix of recipes. These additions are the simplest evidence of connecting food and a vegan lifestyle to the world around it and hopefully, the minimum anyone will take aw ...more
Shanae
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love The Inspired Vegan. I think the work Bryant Terry is doing in food and politics and among "minorities" is truly amazing. He is an admirable man doing admirable work and this cookbook, The Inspired Vegan is a fine example of his commitment to changing the way people eat, encouraging people to eat differently, and being as eco-friendly/responsible as possible.

I got this as an ebook, but it's so great that I also want the physical copy. I fully intend to refer to it in the future.
Leslie Stucky
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've already made a couple winter dishes that were so unlike anything I would have come up with! I love that he organizes the dishes by season! What I really love about this guy, is that he takes a food culture, African American, and he keeps the flavor and soul of the meal but removes the less healthy ingredients and replaces them with whole foods. Also, he pairs his meals with songs that let you explore the music that may have inspired the meal!
Blair
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I got this because I have Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen and wanted to see some more of his work. Really impressive book - Terry has really strong beliefs and is politically savvy and involved. It's an interesting counterpoint to his dishes - you can fight for what you believe in in a number of different ways.

I'm excited to try some of the items in here - I have a couple marked already and I'm expecting that they live up to the recipes in VSK. If they do, it's a definite winner.
Nancy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
There's maybe 2 things in this book that is like to eat, and they don't even sound that special. I'm not a picky eater, either. The few pictures in the book didn't look tasty at all.
Molly Walker
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books, cookbook
I read Bryant Terry's cookbooks less for the recipes and more for his views the ethical and social justice issues surrounding food, particularly for low-income communities and POC.

"As an ethical eater, I believe that it is my responsibility to ensure that 'cruelty-free' extends to all living beings. As a citizen, I stand up for justice and call for the fair treatment of all agricultural laborers who ensure we have the most abundant and diverse food supply on the globe."

Yes, yes, YES.
Natalie Ullmann
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tasty, original, inspiring, creative, health. his instructions are somewhat complex...the mark of a true chef. But the ideas were compelling and expanded my understanding of what I could prepare as a vegan, and how I could prepare things.
Carol
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
While he claims to have few or no hard to get items, his big city life comes through. The Asian market here didn't even carry all the items. And none of these recipes are "get it on the table quick."
Davida
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I have not made anything from this cookbook yet but I absolutely love the format. Bryant gives a soundtrack and suggested reading to go with each recipe. Such a cool idea (maybe it's been done before...)--very inspiring and exciting. I'm eager to try it out but right now I'm having fun just reading it!

Update: spent many hours last night making the jerk tempeh with cilantro sauce as well as the double-garlic rice. Woo boy. Don't really think it was worth it. Plus, Terry's writing, I discovered, i
Lara
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Bryant Terry so much! There aren't a lot of photos in this, and they're all stuck in the middle instead of with the recipes they illustrate, and they're honestly not that great anyway cause some of them are so dark you can't even tell what the heck's happening in them, but it kind of doesn't even matter to me because all the food just sounds so good, and I really love the stories he tells about food and how he draws in history and politics and culture and activism and social justice.

Did
Shannon Knight
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Now THIS is more like it: a vegan cookbook that celebrates the food a vegan CAN eat instead of trying to make fake versions of foods a vegan can't eat (fake meat products, I'm looking at you -- what is the POINT???). All sorts of delicious menus, lots of recipes based in African-American cooking styles, some inspired by traditional African dishes, some Asian-inspired dishes here and there. He does menus and talks a lot about mindful eating, and he even throws in music suggestions at the beginnin ...more
Megan
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Finding a cookbook that I actually want to read is rare. Usually I just skip to the recipes that sound good and a lot of vegan cookbooks aren't all too inspiring to me (I eat meat, just not every day so I want veggie or vegan recipes that will really whet my and my partner's appetite. I'm excited to try some of the recipes in hear and will be seeking out Terry's other cookbooks as well.

But this book is more than just another cookbook, it's stories and inspiration from a man who is deep in the f
Michelle
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diet-health-food
I am sure I would like Bryan Terry, the gentle warrior of food equality, just from reading his "inspired" book. It's set up by menus, which is kind of atypical, but certainly gives... well, inspiration for menu planning.

There are so many vegan cookbooks out there that I'm surprised grocery stores still sell meat sometimes. Amid the many options, this one is worth checking out for its charming narrative style and truly unique recipes, many of which celebrate and re-imagine African or Afro-America
Sps
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 600s, cookbooks
Only had time to try two things, the savory grits with favas & roasted fennel and the tortillas with chard, currants, and guacamole, before my library loan ended but both were truly delicious. I appreciated the seasonal groupings of recipes because that's the way my community eats. Even just in the spring recipes, though, there were many I want to try next time around:

Ginger molasses cake
Minted citrus sweet tea
Aromatic asparagus & sweet potato curry
Bissap cooler
Jerk tempeh with cilantro
Gloria
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
As with all other cookery books (save the rare exception), I hardly read from cover to cover. This was no exception. Thumbed through recipes for ingredients I had in stock or was curious to learn more about. In general, vegan books are slowly growing in appeal to me as the attention spent on the veggies are given a lot more thought and effort to make them well, more palatable and interesting. I do like Terry's bantering conversations interwoven throughout the book. Semi-commentary and ode. A lot ...more
Millicent
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The use of large green leaves gets tired but I really really liked this book. An original layout, he includes soundtrack to dinners and odes to political figures. What I really like about this book is that he understands that part of eating ethically is considering and working towards bettering the access of others to healthy food. That is something a lot of healthy cookbooks miss: they are utterly oblivious to their privilege or they glorify in it. He has concocted my fave saag paneer recipe ev ...more
Jaq
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inspiring reading, with the Soundtrack, Book and Movie snippets included beside most recipes - it's the fusion of art and cooking, that raises this book up and beyond most of the Vegan cookbook pack.

And I loved the inclusion of the drinks section too!

The only drawback is again the inclusion of ingredients that are not readily sourced in regional Australia. But still a great book for the Vegan/Vegetarian cook!
Nicole
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chefs, vegans, farmers, activists
Recommended to Nicole by: The Peace Nook Book Store
Terry is one of my heroes, and this book will be a go-to reference and cooking inspiration. I love that he not only offers amazing recipes, but also suggestions on further reading, listening, and viewing by pairing each recipe with another artistic medium. The final chapter on New Orleans vegan encouraged me to buy the book, but I can't wait to try the other recipes. Terry also has a Bloody Mary recipe featuring pureed beets and vodka, a total surprise to me!
Autumn
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Super politicized vegan cookbook. I could do with more recipes and less "instruction on how to be awesome like me, Bryant Terry". But Ida B. Wells limeade is pretty great. Also, I like his menu themes of "the motherland", "soul food" and "my Asian wife". Will I actually cook out of this book? Not sure...
Anita
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. Not only are there delicious-sounding vegan recipes here, but Terry provides a suggest music playlist to go along with each. The idea is to provide an entire environment for all the senses to enjoy. It reinforces the concept that vegan eating is a rich, nourishing experience from any angle you approach it.
Brenna
Jul 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
None of this food sounded good. I mean maybe I'm just not a southern food kind of girl but seriously I would never try any of this. The drinks though I'll give a go. I think Terry should try creating a book JUST for alcoholic drinks, I mean if he could come with a Cherry Sangria recipe I bet he has way more to share.
Phoebe
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I very much appreciate the author's voice and sense of perspective in this cookbook textured with activism, food justice, poetry and music, and many opportunities to learn more via links to websites and song suggestions. Too bad the book itself isn't clickable! I haven't yet attempted a recipe, but I've got my eye on something involving sweet potatoes and orange juice.
Carrie Ridgeway
I enjoyed the author's essay's in each section very much. A handful of the recipes made it into my notes. Overall, the recipes were not my typical style of cooking or eating. I prefer quicker preparation and not so many of the recipes sounded like something my husband and I would like.
Morgan
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Really cool activism pieces included throughout the book. Everything in here from simple to sophisticated. I tried the coconut quinoa and it was really great. Next up: Mexican Chocolate Pudding and Agave-Coated Pepitas.
S
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Includes playlists and themed dish names, civil rights & black American inspired. Lots of delicious non alcoholic/alcoholic drink recipes, greens and beans recipes & dishes from all continents. I love any chef that maintains that both garlic infused and pepper infused oils are essential.
Bonnie
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full of variety!!!
LaQuita
Loved VSK and this one doesn't disappoint! Can't decide what to make first!

• Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
Bryant Terry is an Oakland-based eco chef, food justice activist, and author of Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African American Cuisine (Da Capo/Perseus March 2009). For the past eight years he has worked to build a more just and sustainable food system and has used cooking as a tool to illuminate the intersections between poverty, structural racism, and food insecurity. His inte ...more