Start by marking “Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)” as Want to Read:
Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)

Five Ways To Kill A Man

(DCI Lorimer #7)

As DCI Lorimer sees in the New Year, an unpredictable killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow . Hood up, suddenly appearing out of the shadows, this dark figure is experimenting with murder, again and again. Faced with a string of seemingly unconnected victims, and picking up the case of a horrific fire that murdered a wealthy couple, Lorimer turns to psychologist and fr ...more
Published 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Five Ways To Kill A Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Ways To Kill A Man

Lainy
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 5 days

Pages - 424

Publisher - Little, Brown Book Group

Blurb from Goodreads

A beautifully crafted, darkly atmospheric crime novel from one of Scotland's most talked-about crime writers An unpredictable killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow, experimenting with death. Beginning with brute force, the murderer moves on to poison and drowning, greedy for new and better ways to kill. Faced with a string of unconnected victims, DCI Lorimer turns to psychologist and friend Solomon
Paul Penney
May 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is the 7th in the DCI Lorimer series, but it was the first (and last) I decided to try. It is called "Five Ways to Kill a Man", and in the first 5 chapters the reader finds out the first, second, and third ways, with a cold killer in Glasgow taking lives in vastly different ways. I was intrigued to find out the other two ways, so I read on, only to realize at about page 100 that one of those ways is to bore a reader to death with pointless drivel like descriptions of the city of Glasgow, nu ...more
Kellie
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Boring read. The "red herring" was so overdone it was laughable. Even with the attempts to blame another character, it was obvious from the get go who the killer was - yet, we are left at the end to guess as to the motive, or should I say motives. The author painfully takes up pages and pages with minutia and details as to what a character is thinking or what a place looks like, or describing a memorial, and then when it comes to the meat and bones, the MOTIVE, we are left to assume (SPOILER ALE ...more
Val Penny
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alex Gray comes from Glasgow, Scotland. I am delighted at how her writing has developed and strengthened as her writing career has progressed. When I read one of her early books, A Small Weeping, reviewed on this site at http://bookreviewstoday.info/2013/03/..., I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped to. However, when I heard her speak recently at the 67th Swanick Writers' Conference, I was struck by what an honest and unassuming woman she is, so I decided to try again. I enjoy crime fi ...more
Suzan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The book cover says that Alex Gray does for Glasgow what Ian Rankin does for Edinburgh. I don't agree. And I wish I could give half stars. It's not a 4, but nor is it a 3. I enjoyed it - good psychological mystery, but a simplistic manner of writing that doesn't do justice to the depth of the characters or settings. All the elements are there. I just think it needed a bit more substance. It's not a Rankin, nor is it a Val McDermid, but on the other hand it was a good mystery and a nice change of ...more
Jenifer Mohammed
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
This was a fascinating mystery with fully fleshed out characters with pasts full of secrets some relevant while others were red herrings. Interestingly, Gray takes us into the mind of a beginning and evolving serial killer. I don't want to give spoilers by revealing too much. This is not a fast paced mystery but if you enjoy a slow revelation of information and a more character based thriller, you will love this book as much as I did.
Rog Harrison
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I continue to read Alex Gray's books because her hero is a Glasgow detective. Several pages in when a character was introduced I suspected they were the murderer so the ending was no surprise. Having said that some of the action was exciting and well written.
Tony Wood
No real action till page 290! Well written though, don't think I'll be going out of my way to read any of his other books.
David
Dec 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
very slow not alot of action or excitment
Pat
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another good read from Alex Grey. Have read all the books in the series and have enjoyed them all.
Donna Irwin
Apart from being set around where I live, not much there. Very lightweight.
David
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good story in this very good series set in Glasgow.
Daniele
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This is the first book in the DCI Lorimar series that I have read, and I found it easy to get into the book. It has the feel of a standalone. I have not read many books that take place in Scotland so the Glasgow setting is quite appealing since I enjoy armchair travel.

FIVE WAYS TO KILL A MAN is a straight forward crime novel with plenty of atmosphere. My favorite aspect is that we are privy to the birth of a serial killer, the very early days of this person trying out different modes of murder
Joan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel, the latest in the DCI Lorimer series. It is a good combination of investigative procedure, character development, and scene description. The frequent exploration of the personal lives of the characters helped remind me that policemen (and women) are real people with personal lives that also have important events. It reveals as well some of the emotions that policemen experience in their daily work.

Gray uses a sort of universal viewpoint where we are privy to the experiences
Jessica Bronder
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
DCI Lorimer has a new serial killer on his hands. There have been three bodies discovered, killed in different ways, and it is not becoming apparent this killer is finding their preferred targets and methods. Trying to find the connection between the victims, Lorimer asks his psychologist for some insight. Then he finds that his own family is being targeted.

This is the first DIC Lorimar story that I have read and think that it could easily be a standalone story. Lorimer is an inspector but he i
Margaret Tidwell
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FTC: I received a free copy of this book from Partners In Crime in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are one hundred percent true and my own.

Five Ways To Kill A Man by Alex Gray was a good book. I like that it took place somewhere other than the United States because it made the book different from some of the other books that I have read in this genre. Unlike a book that I reviewed earlier this week, I didn’t have to keep r
Nicky Mottram
Audio version of this book 📚- really slow start, didn’t get going until half way through. Narration terrible, read at an extremely slow pace!
Stephanie
Catherine MacDonald
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good throughout- loads of infor and the different perspectives and stories tied in together nicely. The ending was a bit quick though. Almost anticlimatic.
Susan Finck
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Fionna Cairney
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic Lorimer story by Alex Gray
Lindsay
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I may have skipped a couple of the series, however it didn't detract from the story. Once again this was a great read. I enjoy the characters, Lorinmer is an interesting chap! His move to this department certainly bothered one new character, whom I think may appear again somewhere down the line in future stories. I do like Flynn! He's a great character and adds a little lightheartedness to the story.
Lots of twists and turns, and although I had an inkling of 'who dunnit', the story kept me thinki
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
I am so addicted to this DCI Lorimer series and it seems each one gets better than the one before! The previous books I have read are THE RIVERMAN #4, PITCH BLACK #5, and THE GLASGOW KISS #6.

DCI Lorimer has been assigned to a horrific cold case of a wealthy couple that was found dead in their house after a deliberate act of arson. While on this assignment, it seems there are also multiple deaths of elderly women falling from their front stairs. Could this be a coincidence or is there a serial ki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good crime thriller but this, while not being bad at all, was not especially good. It felt quite average. I have nothing particularly scathing to say about it, the writing was good, the plot was okay, and I had no problem with any of the characters or the way they were portrayed. It was just a bit meh, seen it before. So while I would say it was an okay read, I probably wouldn’t recommend it to someone who was looking for something really special to read.
Andrea
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, scotland
Another satisfying mystery novel from this author, who writes about a detective working in and around Glasgow. There may have been a bit too much signaling of the killer's identity (I would have dropped the info about the brilliant psychologist/profiler, Solly's, forthcoming book if I'd been the editor), but otherwise, a cracking read.
Jeanette
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I have read by Alex Gray. I must admit that I was a little undecided as to whether I would give it 3 or 4 stars. This is where perhaps a half star would have been ideal. I did guess who the killer was quite early into the book. I prefer books that keep me guessing a little longer. On the whole it was a good read.
Samantha Rich
Solid 3.5

"An unpredictable killer is loose on the streets of Glasgow, experimenting with death."
A well written crime novel. I enjoyed the storyline and actually quite liked the main character DCI Lorimer. I also really like Alex Gray's writing style.

I also quite enjoyed how concerned people got when they saw the title of this book and I had to explain it was fictional not reference :')
Charlotte
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a well done addition to the Lorimer/Brightman series. Although I skipped a few "episodes" to get to this one, I did not feel as left out as one could in a less skillfully tied-in book. I am excited to read the ones following, and eager to find the ones in-between to get the full picture.

A shocking turn of events and a brutally cold killer make for a fine read.
Michelle Nangle
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a book.....started with a bang, then slowed down a bit before reaching the ultimate crescendo at the end. Complete page Turner. Loved that Flynn came back!!!

The killings in this book reached a new level, very disturbing and quite haunting.

I cried at The end, was heartbreaking.

Well done Alex, another fab read.
Lynne Nicoll
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Having read several of Alex Gray's novels I have to say this one was definitely not my favourite but I did persevere until the bitter end. It was a decent crime novel but unfortunately lacked the page turning, can't put this book down action that I enjoy in a book.

• Mosaic
  • Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)
  • Jacquot and the Angel (Daniel Jacquot, #3)
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Random (Narey & Winter, #1)
  • A Death In Calabria (Michele Ferrara, #4)
  • Chasers
  • A Fear Of Dark Water (Jan Fabel, #6)
  • Web of Deceit
  • The Blue Demon (Nic Costa, #8)
  • Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried (Jasmine Sharp and Catherine McLeod, #1)
  • The Mayfly (Charlie Priest #1)
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
Alex Gray was born and educated in Glasgow. She worked as a folk singer, a visiting officer in the DSS and an English teacher. She has been awarded the Scottish Association of Writers Constable and Pitlochry trophies for her crime writing.

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (Lorimer #1)
  • A Small Weeping (Lorimer #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (Lorimer #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • The Bird that did not Sing (Lorimer #11)