Start by marking “Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House” as Want to Read:
Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

Old MacDonald had a farm ... in an apartment house in the middle of the city. As the tenants move out, Old MacDonald (the building's Super) moves cabbages and carrots, mushrooms and corn, cows and chickens into the bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and closets. The farm grows by bushels, and everything is fine -- until the day Fat Mr. Wrental, the owner, comes by to collect t ...more
Published December 2nd 2005 by Atheneum Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

Cheryl
Oct 12, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
Sure, it's a fantasy. But it's also a fable. And it's funny. And it *is* possible to grow herbs, at least, in an apartment. And it *is* possible to find a building owner willing to think outside the box and solve problems. I will look for the other more obscure titles by this team when I visit little old libraries and small town thrift stores.
Tatiana
Jun 13, 2017 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
From the author-illustrator team that gave us Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs comes this twist on the classic "Old MacDonald had a farm" two-step. Rather than go through all the animals on MacDonald's farm, it is far more amusing to watch him turn a city apartment building into a garden and live stock pen. This comes at the cost of tentants and almost Old MacDonald's job, but lucky for him, vegetables can pay rent too. This is so adorable, and the illustrations top-notch.
Rachel Hartman
Jun 05, 2012 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing
The Barretts are better known for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, but I think this lesser-known opus is the superior work. It does stretch credulity a bit. My father, a plant pathologist who was raised on a farm, used to go to great lengths to explain to us exactly WHY one could not turn an apartment building into a farm, the way Old MacDonald does in this book. I didn't care; it doesn't matter. This is a parable about nature and the city finding ways to accommodate each other, soft-hearted g ...more
Esmoi
Jan 13, 2010 Esmoi rated it really liked it
I took the average of my rating and my four year old's rating. I'd give it three stars and I think he'd give it five, partly because he is currently obsessed with learning about apartment buildings. This was written in 1969 and is intended to be silly but it has present-day relevance as well, with the focus on eating locally grown vegetables.
Pam
Dec 07, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
This nonsensical tale of an apartment manager Old MacDonald and his garden that went astray is cute, funny, and beautifully illustrated. The only warning for parents is to keep the crayons hidden away if you get this from the library as the delightful black and white illustrations long to be colored. As an adult I was even tempted! Bravo!
Kay
Oct 23, 2009 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about Old MacDonald as the Super of an apartment building. As his tenants move out, he uses their old apartments to plant vegetables. Great use of imagination as the carrots grow down through the ceiling of the apartment below, etc…
Jody
Dec 08, 2007 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Very cute and urban version of an old classic.
Emyrose8
Aug 29, 2014 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
4.5- What would happen if Old MacDonald lived in a city instead of on a farm?
elissa
This is one that I definitely liked better as a child than I do now, but it still holds up pretty well.
Claire
May 25, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing
This book gets five stars because it was one of my favourite books when I was a child.
Ily
Aug 17, 2014 Ily rated it really liked it
I love the urban farm idea. cute book and I think I could use it for a silly story or skit in cub scouts as we talk about our living world requirements.
Mightymac
Mightymac rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Jack Deslippe
Jack Deslippe rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 01, 2008
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Roo
Roo rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Violet
Violet rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Edelind
Edelind rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2007
Oksana
Oksana rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Searight
Searight rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
Amy
Jul 28, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about an apartment super who turns the apartment building into a farm.
Ivy
Ivy rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2007
Syifa Fauzia
Syifa Fauzia rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!
More about Judi Barrett...