Start by marking “A Dog Named Slugger” as Want to Read:
A Dog Named Slugger

A Dog Named Slugger

The true life story of a dog who changed everything for one woman.

For the first time in my life, I didn't need to pretend, I didn't need to be tough: I only needed to be honest. "I have cerebral palsy. I walk funny and my balance is bad. I fall a lot. My hands shake, too. That means I'm not so good at carrying things. And if I drop stuff, sometimes it's hard to just bend
Published April 7th 2010 by Bell Bridge Books (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Named Slugger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog Named Slugger

Susan (aka Just My Op)
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal lovers or anyone with a disability
Recommended to Susan (aka Just My Op) by: Tara - thank you!
This short, easy read is a great book for anyone who has ever loved an animal or anyone who has ever gone out into the world feeling different than other people. Doesn't than encompass about all of us?

The author of this memoir/dog book has congenital cerebral palsy. As a child she learned to hide her disability the best that she could but still suffered not only the pain of her disease but also the cruelty of children. Even worse, the cruelty of adults. The way she was treated by people who shou
Melissa
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a free kindle download so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a sweet story about a service dog and his owner, a young lady with cerebal palsy. It talked quite a bit about service animals; many of their tasks I was already aware of, but it did make me anxious to get my dog started in volunteer therapy. Slugger really was a shoulder to lean on for the author and many others that crossed her path.
The 3 star rating is two-fold and could probably be argued by some, but it's where I stand.
1. I
Lis Carey
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, dogs
Leigh Brill was born with cerebral palsy, and until she was in her twenties, she struggled every day to hide her handicaps as much as possible, to project an image of complete normalcy, and to be “twice as good” in order to be treated like everyone else. Then one day she has a chance meeting with a new classmate—a woman with a service dog trained to provide mobility assistance. After some exposure to what the boxer Caesar can do for Anne, Leigh accepts a brochure for Caring Canine Companions fro ...more
D
I pick up and read a lot of books about strong bonds between people and dogs. Sometimes the relationship is that of a service dog and a person whose abilities are different than the norm. Sometimes the circumstances of the close relationship is some other shared experience. I found this book to be more interesting and the story line better constructed than most.
As a former Lab owner [for more than 30 years], I could really relate to the painful experiences of watching Slugger age and slow down.
Rebecca
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this book a while ago when it was either listed as free or Kindle's daily deal. Either way I paid pennies for it and this book was well worth more then I paid.

This is a story of a woman and her service dog, Slugger. Not only is it educational and inspirational - it is a moving tale of how Slugger helped Leigh become a confident and independent woman despite her disability. I laughed and cried with this book. I was left angry at the shock of how people can treat those with disabiliti
Don
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, biography
As a dog lover, I really liked this book. The book follows the author's journey with, as the title suggests, a dog named slugger. The author has cerebral palsy, and she gets slugger as a working dog to assist her. We learn how the author decides to get the dog, and how the bond with Slugger grows and grows throughout the relationship. The book not only serves as a reaffirmation to me of the great companionship one can receive from a dog, but also highlights how that companionship can make one in ...more
Melissa (ladybug)
Leigh Brill grew up with Cerebral Palsy. This book is how with the help of a Lab named Slugger, Ms Brill was able to have a normal life. I love to read books about people meeting and overcoming problems in their lives and the animals that have helped them. Animals can do so much for us and they are really smarter than people believe. It is books like these that show this. Be prepared to laugh and cry along with Ms Brill and her friend Slugger while reading this book.
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because there was a dog on the cover, and I'm a sucker for anything that involves dogs. What I found was a truly lovely story about a woman with Cerebral Palsy and the service dog that changed her life. I recommend this book to anyone that loves dogs and one heck of an inspiring true story.
UKDana
Nov 04, 2010 added it
Leigh Brill was a young woman in her early twenties struggling to lead a normal life. For as long as she could remember Leigh had been told to try and hide the fact she suffered from cerebral palsy. When things started to get difficult she turned to her doctor for advice – and what appalling advice she received. Either find a man to take care of you or get a wheelchair! I was seething for the author at this point.

Leigh’s life turned around when she was introduced to Anne and her service dog. Thi

Sheree
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is one of those heart-warming stories that reaffirms the intelligence and loving capacity of our furry friends. I'm a sucker for 'dog stories' and A Dog Named Slugger details one woman's experience of living with a disability and the difference a labrador service dog makes to her life. Leigh Brill has congenital Cerebal Palsy and Slugger is the service dog that not only makes Leigh's physical limitations less challenging but more importantly brings unconditional love, friendship and accepta ...more
Carol
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, dog-cat-bird
With the dog's name on the cover and his name in the title, I was expecting learn more about Slugger. The author has celebral palsy and Slugger was her service dog. I wanted to know about what made Slugger such a great service dog and what set him apart from the other labrador retrievers in this occupation. This makes me think that this book could have been improved if the author had worked with a co-author. That co-author could have asked her questions about Slugger that would have added depth ...more
Cheryl
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leigh Brill has Cerebral palsy. This means that Leigh does not have function of her legs as someone who did not have CP. Though this did not control Leigh and stop her from attending college. While in college, Leigh is introduced to Anne and Caesar. Anne also has CP. Leigh was familiar with serve dogs for the blind but she did not know there were also dogs for people with other disabilities. Anne gives Leigh information on Caring Canine Companion. After being asked a bunch of questions, filling ...more
Yvonne
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching, sweet story of a woman facing many personal and physical challenges. She gets help from an unexpected source...a service dog. A very special service dog named Slugger.

"A Dog Named Slugger" is written at a fast-paced rate letting readers share Brill's difficult journey from college to adulthood as well as dealing with cerebral palsy. Slugger sounds like a sweetheart. Whether you are an animal lover or not (or a cat lover like me), I think readers will be touched by this book.
Debbie
May 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was very interested in this story - a woman learns to work with her service dog. It sounded great. But what took away from it was the writing - it's written in a juvenile, overdone manner, like it was an English composition for grade school. The peppy adjectives, exclamation points, and overdone metaphors got really annoying after a while. Plus, the author had this weird habit of dropping the first letter of a word (instead of around she'd say 'round). Over and over again. The writing took awa ...more
Rick
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good story---true account---of a a young lady with cerebral palsy who gets a service dog named Slugger to help her get through her daily activities. She does a very nice job describing the effect that that dog had on her and the bond the two of them shared. It's a bit of a tear-jerker as one would expect from an account like this. But well worth the few hours it takes to read. If your'e a dog fan I'd highly recommend it.
Marie Cole
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
i feel in love with this book the moment i opened it. Anybody who has a special bond with there dog should read this book, anybody who has anykind of bond with any animal should read this book. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you grab your dog & hug him tight. I recommend this book to anybody.
Kari
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started out thinking this book was ok...not bad but not great. As I ended the book, I felt like "Sluggie" was one of my own beloved dogs. Somewhere along the lines in this book "Sluggie" grabbed a piece of my heart. This made me laugh & shed a few tears. This book was a free book on my Kindle and I am sooo glad I took the time to read it.
Tara Chevrestt
This was an incredible book. I have always known that dogs are an amazing species and are much smarter than most human beings give them credit for and this story just drives that point home.

For full review and pictures, please click the link below:

Snow Bunny
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I could relate as I have CP & understand a lot of the problems this girl had. Like being so young & needing a wheelchair & having trouble doing things so easy for other people. This is a great read. Very good way to learn about service dogs...made me look into them but They're expensive & a long wait list.
Kayla
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not a dog person, but this was a really touching story. The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is the dialogue. I realize this is a memoir of events that took place over 10 years ago and it's impossible to remember conversations exactly, but some of the dialogue was awful. It seemed really fake and cheesy, like it came from a poorly made infomercial.
Judi Little
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
a free Kindle- not sure I would have uncovered otherwise. An enjoyable story about service dogs - the training etc. Reminded me of a favorite book from my childhood about a seeing eye dog. For dog lovers it is an emotional roller coaster of course.
Kayla
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fabulous book about a girl struggling with Cerebral Palsy and the dog who helped her get through it all. A great book for others to see what service dogs can do, not only for those who are blind. A quick and easy read, loved every minute of it!
Dennis Hall
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Entertaining as well as educational. The author introduces you to both the good and bad side of people. It shows just how prejudice people can be to the handicapped. I love reading stories about dogs and how they interact with people. Well worth the read, it goes fast.
Venus Glancy
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I fell that this was one of the best books that I have read in a very long time,as I read it in a single day.
Joan Thompson
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about a a person with a disability and her assistance dog, Slugger.They grow together as partners and the trust between them is remarkable. Worth reading.
Doloresfritz
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I love dogs and the relationship Leigh has with her service dog is amazing. You can feel the love between the two of them. I cried through the last 1/3 of the book.
Cindy
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading about the devotion of this stout-hearted dog...wonderful story of how our canine companions are able to enrich our lives, touching us very deeply in the process!
Janet
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-read
Many of the hospital personnel Leigh who attended her during her childhood days seemed to be so lacking in compassion and consideration. I'd like to think this was and anomaly no, sadly, I doubt if many things of changed. It all depends on the personnel. But anybody working in a medical setting could learn a lot about how they should behave from this book. If you don't have the "heart" for the job, please look for work elsewhere.

Many years ago, I had a ,collie, beautiful very large collie named
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, well-written book. Tears came at the end, but overall, it was uplifting and a good picture of both the physically challenged human and the faithful, loving dog. I would recommend it to all dog lovers.
Bruce G Wade
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book and great for dog lovers, and those needing service dogs. Close to home at end. Good and happy cry!

• Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • I'm Listening With a Broken Ear
  • Sweetie
  • The Year She Fell
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Unbillable Hours: A True Story
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • An Angel With Fur
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
“In the same way a pebble dropped on a quiet pond sends ripples far out from itself,” 0 likes