Start by marking “Tia Lola Stories: How Tia Lola Came to (Visit) Stay and How Tia Lola Learned to Teach” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
HOW TÍA LOLA CAME TO VISIT STAY
When Miguel’s Tía Lola comes from the Dominican Republic to Vermont to help out his mami, Miguel is worried that his unusual aunt will make it even more difficult to make new friends. It’s been hard enough moving from New York City and leaving Papi behind. Sometimes he wishes Tía Lola would go back to the island. But then he wouldn’t have the
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Listening Library (Audio)

To ask other readers questions about Tia Lola Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tia Lola Stories

Bev
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This a very sweet book about a Latino family who struggles with some of life's challenges but is carried through it by close family relationships and the bond of love between them.

After a divorce, Miguel, his sister and mom must from New York to Vermont Tia Lola, a larger-than-life aunt, comes from the Dominican Republic to help out. At first, the kids are reluctant to have this relative stranger in their household, but they discover that she is a breath of fresh air who brings joy into the hou
Susan  Dunn
This is a compilation of the first two Tia Lola books. When Miguel and Juanita's parents divorce, they relocate to Vermont with their mother. Since she's working full time and they no longer have relatives living close by to help care for the kids, Tia Lola is asked to come from the Dominican Republic to stay with them. She doesn't speak much English, and Miguel and Nita only know a little Spanish, so at first it's hard to communicate. But Tia Lola is full of laughter and light, and she makes a ...more
Erasmo Guerra
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

I read all four books in the TIA LOLA series by Julia Alvarez and interviewed her for an AARP magazine feature story. What I loved about the books were how real the families were. Alvarez told me, "You hear all Latinos are so happy and all the generations live together and we're these perfect little families." But in these books life is a bit messier and real.

You can find the full story online: TIA LOLA FOR ALL AGES

Deb
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
It's funny how we are drawn to books by their covers. My library has the old cover for the first book and I never would have picked it up were it not for the school bus cover of Teach book. (Even knowing they are supposed to be good and Julia Alvarez is a name known to me - i just don't like that cover!) As it is I'm gonna listen to these both - I'm enjoying the reader so far!
Catharine
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Of the two stories I felt that how Tia Lola caame to stay was really charming. How Tia Lola learned to teach was still good, but I probably would rate it closer to three stars. Certainly the characters are engaging and its nice to have immigrants as central characters though the story line itself is less realistic and more fun and simplistic.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Good children's stories. Miguel is trying to adjust to his parents divorce and the move from New York to Vermont. Just when he thinks he's fitting in he Tia Lola from the Dominican Republic moves in. This is just one more thing that makes him different from everyone else. Little does he know the effect Tia Lola will have on everyone.
Mariana
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed hearing this book in Spanish.
Brenda
rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
Eva Cadavid
Apr 14, 2015
Julia Álvarez was born in New York City. Her parents moved back to the Dominican Republic when Álvarez was 3 months old and she was raised there until she was 10, when the family moved back to NYC.

She is currently writer-in-residence at Middlebury College and the owner of a coffee farm named Alta Gracia, near Jarabacoa in the mountains of the Dominican Republic. The farm hosts a school to teach l
More about Julia Alvarez...