Start by marking “Framed! (Traces, #1)” as Want to Read:
Framed! (Traces, #1)

Framed!

(Traces #1)

Luke Harding is excited to become the youngest person ever to qualify as a forensics investigator. He barely has time to celebrate his final exams when Malc, his Mobile Aid to Law and Crime, calls him to their first case. A fellow student has been mysteriously shot dead with an arrow. Two more grisly on-campus murders follow, and all the evidence points to Luke himself. Th ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Kingfisher (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Framed!, please sign up.
Jelena Ja sam upravo korigovala ime edicije i u spisku svih izdanja sada stoji "Nameštaljka, Tragovi 1" kao naslov. Kad se ode direktno na ovo izdanje,…moreJa sam upravo korigovala ime edicije i u spisku svih izdanja sada stoji "Nameštaljka, Tragovi 1" kao naslov. Kad se ode direktno na ovo izdanje, ostaje "Traces" kao naziv edicije i ujedno je to i link ka svi delima iz edicije. Taj deo ne umem da promeni a da ne dodam novu ediciju ili promenim ime edicije za sva izdanja... (less)

Ricky
As my first read for my book group at work, I have to say this one was a fun one, if a little difficult to figure out what exactly it wanted to be. The murder-mystery part was there, sure, and it had a nice little sci-fi twist with Malc the robot sidekickj, as well as our teen-prodigy YA protagonist. (I might also want to recommend this book to middle-grade readers, though the violence level is just high enough that perhaps not.) But then there were some strange little nuggets of world-building, ...more
Lolly's Library
Set in a quasi-dystopic future--in which children are removed from their parents at the age of five to begin their schooling and come under the aegis of the shadowy 'Authorities'; where marriages (called "Pairings") are arranged on the basis of genetics and aptitude groupings (a scientist to a scientist, an artist to an artist, etc.); where race is turned upside down and white people are considered freaks and abominations because everyone is brown--Framed!, the first book in a series, is a thoug ...more
Jonathan
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was supposed to read a book over the summer going into 7th grade, so this book looked promising to me and when I read it, I absolutely loved it!!!
Rabeeta Abbas
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally amazing, full of suspense and an amazing murder story in which,16-year old
FI Luke Harding has just graduated but before even celebrating he's got to solve a case. Accompanied by his mobile aid, Malc he has to solve a life threatening case in which he himself is a prime suspect as per The Authorities. It's a must-read book guys!
Sophie
I'm obviously not the target audience for this book any more. I originally read this series when I was younger and I enjoyed it a lot. However this time round I thought that the whole book was very one dimensional.
Abby Buehrlen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This has been the only book I’ve had to force myself through because I’ve legitimately wanted to quit reading it and start a complete new book. The only thing that kept me going was knowing my vocabulary would increase by reading. The proclaimed plot wasn’t even followed, and the characters were so bland it made me uncomfortable just to try to relate to their likes, which were near to nothing. I’d say the only interesting thing about Luke was that he commonly ate pomegranates.

Characters: The ch
Quintin
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Traces luke harding forensic investigator it's a mystery novel and crime it takes you through a crime twist well in Luke harding forensic investigator. well there a girl that got shot right in the kidney with a arrow and luke was the investigator his fingerprints were all over the arrow and the bow so they threw the investigator in jail then they found out that the robot Luke created his names malc. He was the murder and they went and destroyed the robot before it killed more people.
Characters:
Diane Lynne
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
I read this book nearly 10 years ago. All I remember is that he investigates crimes and he has this little robot that hovers over his shoulder and helps him. I remember really liking the premise and found the story delightful. It's definitely a middle school title.
Khush
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
The concept is excellant- a far future England with a Totalitarian government (known as the "Authorities") and a slightly rebellious newly minted (youngest ever to pass his tests at 16) forensic investigator Luke Harding.

In this future world a forensic investigator handles most aspects of law- he and his bot MALC (an acronym for the floating robot/CSI lab/defense/legal body) deal with all aspects and it is the bot who deems that enough evidence has been found to charge and deems what evidence is
Salma
Love this book!It's so addictive.I just hope I get the rest of the novels in the series. The Setting;The setting is great.Futuristic London ?That's just...creative! In addition to that,the people are being ruled by''The Authorities''and they have this system where children are separated from their parents at the age of five and taken to residental schools.They stay at schools until they are sixteen and ready to explore the world.They also have a pairing committee who choose their life time partn ...more
German
May 15, 2015 added it
the book I chose is called Framed and it is by Malcom Rose . this book is about a boy who has the chance to become one of the youngest forensic investigator. after he finished his finals he got an alert from M.A.L.C. ( mobile aid to law and crime ) and malc sends him to a place on campus where he finds one of his fellow calssmate dead.he had Been shot with and arrow and there were two other muders that were similar to this one that happened later on. All of the clues suggested tbat he was the on ...more
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This was much better than I had been expecting. I had had this one on my To-Read list for a long time, since my brother read it ages ago, but it was always one that I kept on putting off because it didn't look too interesting.
I was wrong! I actually did really enjoy this book. The quality of the writing wasn't spectacular, there wasn't enough characterisation or world building, but there was enough to make it good. There was little bits and pieces which told you that actually Luke lives in a ve
Katrina Marnette
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachael Hewison
This is a great young adult book, incredibly easy to read with a likeable main characters and some funny exchanges between Luke and his computer.

I loved the future world Rose created with the Authorities controlling what you do as a profession and who you end up being paired with and would have liked to have heard more about that. It was fascinating to see the future of forensic investigation with Malc being an adorable but amazingly clever machine in helping to solve crimes.

I did find that when
Jamie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: school, 12-14, mystery
i could more easily buy the premise of a 16 year old forensic investigator if it wasn't also shoved into a weird futuristic sci fi. He has a talking robot thingy that gathers his evidence. And they live in a world in which they must be "matchmade". I think these things will help follow through on a series, but they really seem to be ripoffs of other books.

Its told in a very pedestrian manner - readers can't really figure out the clues, they have to wait for Luke to figure them out for us and th
Andy Lin
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2014
Luke Harding, youngest person to pass all of the criminology tests and complete school, was given his first assignment to solve the murder of Crispin Addley. What first My seems like a linear case, evolves into a more complex case involving two more murders. Trying to solve the case before his assessment, and at the same time trying to prove he did not commit the crime.

I picked up this book because I wanted to expand the diversity of the genres I read, so I decided to get a mystery book.

I finish
Madeleine J
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: qr-2011-12
Framed! is the first book in a series about a forensic investigator. The series takes place in the future, in a world where the government has all the power and technology can talk. The first book is about a murder for which the investigator is being framed, and his robot (MALC) nearly asks him to arrest himself. I really enjoyed Framed! because it was imaginative. I recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery and/or science fiction--or watches TV shows about crime investigation. This book w ...more
Jacob D
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave the book a 5 out of 5 because I believed that it was a very good read. It was one of those books that it won't let you put it down for very long, you just want to keep reading. I think that anybody interested in murder mysteries will find this book to be a good read.
The end of the book I believe ended on a very nice note so if I was to add another chapter it would have been in the middle or beginning. Maybe talk a lot of title more about the before story or so. And if it was in the middle
Yash Sonthalia
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't finished this book yet, but i really like it. It is just like CSI and I love mystery stories. It is fun to read and it is very thrilling. It has alot of suspense which I like. It is a great book so far.

It is about a boy named Luke who has just become a Crime Investigator. He has just been assigned to this case where a boy is killed with an arrow. The prime suspect is him himself. He investigates and tries to find out who the killer is, then another killing happens, after this another o
SimBim
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Even though it's not really my type of read, i loved this book.
Luke rocked, and I thought the mystery was well- developed and interesting. MALC made me laugh and the romantic bits between Jade and Luke made me sigh. I liked how Luke had his little traits that made him Luke and how he wasn't perfect- I could really relate to him!
Overall, a nice read with suspence and mystery and a hint of romance.
Irene
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely written crime book with suspense and description. The whole setting was done cleverly in a future time period. Each of the small links led up to a bigger part in the finale and I loved it too. The action and the balance of wit and humour was nice too. I didn't expect to but I learnt a lot of new facts in this book. A wonderful mystery!
Stanley Wen
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read if you want to past time. It is all about mystery and a little of science fiction. I read this book over the summer and once I started reading it I can't stop until I finish the whole series. This book is about a boy who became a investigator for the police when he is still in his teens. his best friend and partner is a high tech robot.
Karlinda
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is very creative mystery that I quite enjoyed. Not much gore or horror just good old mystery like I used to read when I was little. Very good character developement and plot execution. It kept me in suspense until the end which I liked because of my knack for figuring out books before I finish reading them. I would greatly recommend this to anyone.
Jen
-Luke Harding is a 16 yr. Old forensic investigator (in the future sometime) in England. He is investigating 3 separate murders that are somehow connected. Luke analyzes the crime scenes with his robot partner Malc, trying to figure out who the murderer is.

-This book was ok, but I thought is was boring, not a lot of action.
Squeaky
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Traces series #1. Characters seem flat, but trying to figure out whodunit kept me reading. Wasn't until page 78 that I figured out I was reading "Malc" as "Male"... Blurb on cover led me to think there would be witty banter between Luke and Malc. Not seeing it. I would like to know more about this future society and how it got this way. Rattlesnakes in England?
Adam Prescott
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
There arn't very many ways to describe FRAMED. It is about a 16 year old Forensic Investigator called Luke Harding. With his Mechanical Assistant to Law and Crime (Or MALC for short) Luke has to solve the mystery of a young boy, his teacher and the teachers pet's murders in a short amount of time. There's one problem though, all the evidence points to Luke himself! Utterly brilliant.
Sara
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has got everything. A murder, no THREE murders and they all point to the main character, a robotic sidekick, and love. I would call this revenge is best served cold as death. If you love gruesome details then this book you will die for.
Justin
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book of the series, I really enjoyed this story. I have to admit its one of the best, but it still has some of my favorite flavors I like to taste in a book. Suspense, mystery, sci-fi, all of my favorite genres in one series. I recommend this book to anyone who has a liking to these genres.
Maureen
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, series, adventure
Great start to the series Traces. Love the concept: 16 year old forensic investigator is framed for the first murder investigation that he is assigned to. MARC (his mobile computer) continues to send evidence against him back to the office...

• Something Rotten (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #1)
  • First Shot
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • South by Southeast (Diamond Brothers, #3)
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Circle of Blood (Forensic Mysteries, #3)
  • The Devil's Breath (Danger Zone, #1)
  • Change of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)
  • Outlaw
  • Icecore
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • Operation Typhoon Shore (The Guild of Specialists, #2)
  • Minerva Clark Gets a Clue (Minerva Clark, #1)
  • Friends 4 Ever?
Believe it or not, until Easter 1996, I was a Lecturer in Chemistry at The Open University. I carried out research in analytical chemistry, particularly in the area of health, and I taught mainly organic chemistry. The teaching part of the job predominantly involved writing, with some radio, TV and video work. It also left very little time for fiction writing which I tackled mostly after midnight. ...more

Traces (7 books)
  • Lost Bullet (Traces, #2)
  • Roll Call (Traces, #3)
  • Double Check (Traces, #4)
  • Final Lap (Traces, #5)
  • Blood Brother (Traces, #6)
  • Murder Club (Traces, #7)