Start by marking “Mesopotamia” as Want to Read:
Mesopotamia

Mesopotamia

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
"The immortal shadow of Elvis Presley gyrates wildly through this satiric exploration of America's fascination with tabloid journalism." --Publishers Weekly

"Thoroughly entertaining . . . A quirky, hard-edged, slightly absurdist thriller from a writer who definitely bears watching." --Booklist

“In his paean to the perplexities of dislocation and discovery—both in bohemian li
Published July 1st 2010 by Akashic Books (first published May 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mesopotamia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mesopotamia

Bandit
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book just proves that good writing transcends genres. Mesopotamia wasn't quite what I've come to expect from Nersesian, instead of a stark unflinchingly graphic and honest New York drama, this is a mystery set in the south. It has all the strengths of his other books, particularly great engaging characters and excellent pacing and strong narrative, plus more Elvis impersonators than you can shake a stick or a pelvis at. Very quick read. Recommended.
Bria
Dec 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
found the cover a bit misleading as I thought it would be a dark-noir type mystery however it read more like chic-lit which isn't my cup of tea. I should have paid closely attention to the blurb - my bad.
Lisa Welch
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
This is one very different book. I would put it in the new class of "white trash mystery". This book was enjoyable because of the characters you hate to love and the absolutely bizarr-o plot twists. Entertaining and surprising. I will definitely be checking out more by this author!!!
Molly
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I couldn't get into it. Don't care for his style of writing at all.
Jason Pettus
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it

It's no secret that I'm a pretty huge fan of Akashic Books, although even the greatest small presses sometimes have their off-days; take for example their latest, the wacky caper tale Mesopotamia by Arthur Nersesian, which is not exactly bad but is certainly not up to the level I expected from the author o
Carrieliauw
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having fallen in love with The Fuck-Up, Dogrun, Unlubricated and Nersesian's other gritty fast-paced novels of protagonists so achingly realistic, I'm a huge sold and every book of his I read like a hungry wolf- or like he would put it "starved for literature", his literature. Mesopotamia starts off with a tone promising thrill and suspense but quickly descends (in a good way) triggered by a fast slap of reality- the harsh brash conditions of actual life and our little protagonist unknowingly se ...more
ABC Group
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Mesopotamia is a step apart from the other works I've read by Arthur Nersesian. In prior works, historical issues have been developed, retold and set forward to tell a alternative story...or one with a particular slant. While this happens again in Mesopotamia, it's been a while since I've read Nersesian in such fine form.

Completely funny and utterly absurd (at times), this satire of our media-crazed culture unfolds a story of Korean born Sandy Bloomgarten, reporter extraordinaire, who is given a
Ron
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nersesian wrote a pair of brilliant and evocative novels from the fringe, descended rapidly into an odd form of mainstream mediocrity, and has now fallen into utter banality and irrelevance. The plot is silly and convoluted, partly because there are almost no memorable characters, and the writing continues his trend toward awkward and forced metaphors and stiff and stilted dialog. Worse, he trades in the most offensive cultural stereotypes--one wonders if he has ever left New York--and doesn't b ...more
Tina Alemao
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I want to preface this review by saying I absolutely adore Nersesian's style of writing. Hands down, he is my favorite author.

This particular book was a bit of a Midwestern Scooby Doo tale. Laced with a couple of misfit minorities, it gives you a true depiction of Midwest demographics. The change of scenery was appreciated though! I found the heroine in this story to be comical and most of her inner thoughts made me laugh out loud. The story was just overweight (dare I say obese) with character
Suge
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, but not up to par with Nersesians previous novels. The story follows a washed up alcoholic journalist looking for one last job to report on. The story is easy to get into, doesn't take long for the story to get to its plot. While this isn't my favorite Nersesian novel, it is a lot better than his previous one (Swing Voter of Staten Island). The characters are likeable and the plot isn't too obvious. Not too humorous, nor too serious. A great book to pick up and read.
Mitsu
Aug 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Jeremiah
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like off the wall stories involving Elvis impersonators, small-town Tennessee and tabloid reporting all mixed with alcohol and pompadours, you'll love this books.

It's been a long time since I've read anything by this author but I remember loving "The Fuck Up". This story was a little big weirder but entertaining, nonetheless. A good no brainer read.
Linda
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I would not have normally picked it up, but the local Borders was closing and all their books were 90% off, so I thought, "what the heck." Mesopotamia turns out to be a small rural town midway between Memphis and Nashville. The story is of a Korean tabloid reports and her odyssey of unraveling the murder of an Elvis impersonator.
Punk
Dec 15, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Free e-book advent calendar from Akashic Books: Download Mesopotamia for FREE until midnight, December 15, 2016!

Comes in DRM-free mobi or epub, and you don't have to sign in or up for anything.
Trevor Craig
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't know what this was about prior to purchasing it; But as a Nersesian fan I took a chance. Although this was not my favorite book, it was still an enjoyable read. However, it just didn't stand out as much as his other works which is why I went with the three stars.
Marievaligorsky
Oct 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
elvis-mania!

very original -- an interesting peek into tennessee and 'bloid writing
Carole
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The premise is interesting, someone is killing Elvis impersonators, but this book could really have benefitted from editing. The story line is confusing, and the writing is too clever.
Amy
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not like his other books. Slightly funny but not funny enough.
Lori
May 28, 2010 marked it as to-read
galley from BEA
Author didnt show for a signing, So upset! I love Nersesian...
don't judge a book by its author?
Alan Prevallet
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like it a lot more after I was finished than while I was reading.
Marta
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I never thought I would read and like a book about Elvis impersonators!
Jill Cordry
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
An entertaining and easy read for when one is up all night horribly jet lagged. Could have used better editing though.
Katrien
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quirky, odd, but never dull. I don't know that I loved it, but I kept going back to it to see what would happen next.
Pragyan Priyadarshini
really interesting.............
Erin
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The story was interesting, but sometimes a bit confusing, and the big twist was a bit too easy to figure out. It was entertaining.
Dan
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
murders, elvis impersonators, murdered elvis impersonators. What's not to like about Nersesian's newest novel?
Jason
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love some of Nersesian's older books, but this whole story was just kind of dumb.
Ann Gerakaris
Jul 12, 2012
Mike Sill
Sep 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Man Who Never Returned (Fintan Dunne, #2)
  • Havana Noir
  • Forbidden Creatures: Inside the World of Animal Smuggling and Exotic Pets
  • Covert Pursuit
  • Another Sun
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • Spy Games (Spy Camp, #2)
  • Diamonds for the Dead
Arthur Nersesian is the author of eight novels, including The Fuck-Up (Akashic, 1997 & MTV Books/Simon & Schuster, 1999), Chinese Takeout (HarperCollins), Manhattan Loverboy (Akashic), Suicide Casanova (Akashic), dogrun (MTV Books/Simon & Schuster), and Unlubricated (HarperCollins). He is also the author of East Village Tetralogy, a collection of four plays. He lives in New York City.

F
More about Arthur Nersesian...

“Stressful jobs, loveless marriages, bad food-most people kill themselves slowly every day.” 5 likes