Start by marking “The Gold of Troy” as Want to Read:
The Gold of Troy

The Gold of Troy

s/t: The Story of Heinrich Schliemann & the Buried Cities of Ancient Greece

The eccentric tycoon who set out to uncover buried Troy

Son of a lecherous Mecklenburg pastor he started life as a grocers boy.
He made three fortunes and had an income of £1500000 a year at forty.
In youth he renounced the company of women, making do with hairdressers' wax models examined hungrily
Published January 31st 1991 by Robert Hale Ltd (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Gold of Troy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gold of Troy

Trevor
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
I came across this book by complete accident. It has no writing on the spine and I picked it up simply to see what it was. I read the back, then opened it and read the first couple of pages and decided from that, I just had to read it!

I'm not a scholar, have no interest in archeology or history. I rarely read biographies but this book just took a hold of me.

Schliemann led a fascinating life and this book is written in such a way that I absorbed the facts and history very easily. It was almost l
James
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Inspired by my Latin teacher in high school I read this exciting story of Heinrich Schliemann's search for the real city of Troy. She was married to an archaeologist and they would spend summers in Central America. While learning Latin I was also learning about the Greek culture that so heavily influenced Rome. In doing so I was led inexorably to this exciting story of the man who believed that Homer's Troy was a real place. Schliemann was vindicated and Robert Payne's book tells about his incre ...more
Chloe Meyer
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found this book in my great grandpa's collection of old archaeological books, and decided to read it when I realised that I saw the diadem IRL just weeks before in Berlin.

This book is so fascinating! Schliemann is one of the most interesting figures I've ever read about, surprised that I'd never heard of him before.
Relstuart
Heinrich's life was full of striving to win the things that mattered to him. He grew up poor in Germany and in love with hearing stories of Greek heroes from his father. He fell in love at a young age (7 to 11)and was devastated when he had to move away from the girl he loved when his mother died.

He was determined that he would make enough money to marry the girl he loved and return to him once he did so. He slaved away for 16 years, teaching himself multiple languages, and getting involved wit
Martin Gibbs
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-ancient
I have had this book on my shelf for many years and finally got round to finishing it. As one reviewer has stated, it was worthwhile having my copy of The Iliad handy (Fagles translation, of course:

Not only does Payne describe the history and the archeology well, Schliemann himself is captured perfectly. I felt as if I was next to him in the diggings, having to survive his onslaughts and brazen temper. But, through his faults, he was dedicated to the ve
Kaleb
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite a good read on Schleiman's life and his quest for uncovering the remains of Troy. I read this before going to see the ruins at Troy and it made the visit that much more exciting and memorable knowing a bit of the history of the early archeaological finds (if you want to call Schleiman's practices "archaeology"). Overall, great book, and spectacular read if you're into history of ancient Greece.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-list
Found this musty hardcover in my parents' basement, with my grandmother's name in the front. My 10 year old read it and recommended it. I would never have read this book otherwise. The style is more narrative than scholarly. For the most part, it was an enjoyable read but I would be interested in more historical context and an update on what has happened at the archaelogoical sites since 1959.
Anne Marie
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a great deal from this book. Even though Heinrich Schliemann doesn't come off as a very nice person, his experiences are eye-opening.
Chris vail
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Terrific bio, epic
Artco77
Oct 21, 2017
Beth
Oct 10, 2010
Betty
rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2010
Mar 24, 2019
Daniel
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
One of the best stories about Heinrich Schliemann that I have ever read.
Julie
Amy
Aug 13, 2013
Roman Egorov
Apr 12, 2015
Pierre Stephen Robert Payne (4 December 1911 – 3 March 1983), was a novelist, historian, poet, and biographer.
Born in Cornwall, the son of an English naval architect, and with a French mother. He worked as a shipbuilder and then for a time with the Inland Revenue. In 1941 he became an armament officer and chief camouflage officer for British Army Intelligence at Singapore. In the summer of 1946, P