Start by marking “Captain America: Winter Soldier” as Want to Read:
Captain America: Winter Soldier

Captain America: Winter Soldier

(Captain America (2004) #1-2)

A midnight call to duty brings Captain America aboard the S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier to identify the corpse of his most feared adversary: the Red Skull! The shocking murder of Cap's oldest enemy may not be the end of the Skull's plans, however, because whoever shot the Skull has stolen his final project: an unfinished Cosmic Cube with the potential power to alter reality itse ...more
Paperback, Complete Collection, 304 pages
Published April 14th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America

Alejandro
Outstanding story!

This TPB “Ultimate Collection” edition collects both “Winter Soldier” Vols. 1 & 2, previously published separate. It features “Captain America” #1-9, #11-14. The comic book issue #10 isn’t included due being a tie-in issue of the event “House of M” non-related to the storyline developed here.

Creative Team:

Writer: Ed Brubaker

Illustrators: Mike Epting, Mike Perkins, Michael Lark & John Paul Leon

SIDEKICKS… MARVEL’S STYLE

The official story said he was a symbol to count
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
First off, before I say anything about the plot of this, I just wanted to take a brief moment to say how awesome I think the Winter Solider actually looks. Whether it’s on screen or in this comic, Bucky looks sooooooooo damn cool. Who agrees with me?

description

I wish I had a metal arm.

Also I just have to say that the new Captain America Civil War movie was great. For all the boring political differences between Rogers and Stark, the catalyst of the war was Bucky. I just couldn’t help but feel sorry for hi
Anne
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

With the movie coming out, I thought I'd revisit the Winter Soldier storyline. And I was surprised by what I found.
First, that I'd only read volume one. So I decided to go whole hog (where does that saying even come from anyway?), and get two volumes in one shot with the Ultimate Collection.
Second, that at the time I originally read it, I had no idea how awesome it really was. Maybe I just hadn't read enough crappy graphic novels yet?
Who knows?
Whatever the reas
Dan Schwent
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2012
The Red Skull acquires a Cosmic Cube, only to be murdered before he can use it and the killer seems to be someone Captain America thought dead since World War II. Can Captain America and Agent 13 unravel the mystery of the Winter Soldier and the Cosmic Cube before whomever possesses the Cube gets a chance to use it?

Fresh off of reading Gotham Central, I was ready for more Brubaker and I sure got it! When I first started reading Ed Brubaker last century with A Complete Lowlife, I had no idea he'd
Jeff
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
This is arguably the greatest Captain America story ever written. Ed Brubaker did what no one else could have imagined; he brought back Captain America’s World War II sidekick, Bucky Barnes. Bucky was on a short list of Marvel characters that nobody wanted revived. Here Brubaker’s writing rises to the challenge and exceeds it. The accompanying artwork is evocative and captures the spirit of the story.

The story revolves around possession of the Cosmic Cube, something that grants the user ultimate
Sam Quixote
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ed Brubaker revisits Cap's past by writing an alternate history to his sidekick, Bucky, in The Winter Soldier. Originally dead from an explosion over the English Channel pursuing the evil Baron Zemo during WW2, Brubaker imagines Bucky surviving the blast and being turned into a cyborg assassin, brainwashed into fighting for the Russians. Steve Epting's art is ridiculous - it's just so good! And his character design of the Winter Soldier is brilliant, with the mechanical arm and neo-terrorist loo ...more
Terence
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: Anne
The Soviets have used a seemingly ageless assassin for over 50 years known as The Winter Soldier. The Winter Soldier hasn't been seen in decades, but now he's back working for General Lukin and he's stolen the Cosmic Cube for him. Captain America is working tirelessly tracking the cube and in the process he crosses paths with the mysterious Winter Solider.

So the big reason I read Captain America Winter Solider is because the film with basically the same title is currently my favorite film in the
Scott S.
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably the best of Brubaker's work for Marvel that I've read so far - I've also enjoyed his Daredevil, X-Men, and other Cap stories - though his gritty Gotham Central cop series for DC is still my favorite.

Have you seen the 2014 movie? Silly question, probably - it was a decent (if slightly over-long, as superhero blockbusters are routinely becoming) flick. Now do yourself a favor and read the graphic novel. Other than the startling reappearance of the title character - a.k.a James 'Bucky' Bar
Sud666
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This gem of a graphic novel is often overshadowed by the movie. It should not be as this is, by far, the superior tale.

Brubaker tells an exciting tale about a blast from Cap's past. Aleksander Luskin is an former KGB officer who has a revanchist vision of the Soviet Union. During World War II after Bucky was ostensibly killed, Luskin is able to recover his body. Mind-wiped and given a titanium arm Bucky becomes the infamous Winter Soldier.

This story brings the Winter Soldier out of hibernation
Bookwraiths
Damn! Best Captain America story ever!

Everything about this one is amazing from Brubaker’s story to Epting’s art. Cap’s past struggles and regrets turning this tale of the Winter Soldier into a multi-layered action adventure with enough depth and surprises to make rereads a requirement.
Brynne
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
"Bucky?"
"Who the hell is Bucky?"

NOBODY TOUCH ME!

I did a reread.

It was a bad decision.

I am emotionally compromised.

Nikki
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The film cannot come out soon enough. I need more Cap in my life. I have a wishlist of things I would like to see directly translated from book to movie -- though many things will have to be changed, of course, to fit with MCU canon, there should be room for stuff like the "who the hell is Bucky?" moment. I'm looking forward to Falcon, who I haven't seen before reading this TPB.

I also have a list of things I don't want to happen, like that ending where Bucky just disappears leaving Steve believi
Anna
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally I was going to rate this 4.5 stars, but after some thought I decided why shouldn't this deserve the 5-star-rating treatment? It was awesome.

And the afterword by Brubaker along with his original proposal to Marvel's Brevoort (included in my edition) made me give this the highest of fives.

I just love my copy, you guys.

It was love at first sight.
Joseph
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This week's buddy read with the Shallow Comics Readers is Sidekicks!!

description

After about two years of everyone raving about Brubaker's Captain America run, I finally picked this up to read for Sidekicks week. I bought it about six months ago, so I was just waiting for the right time. The wait was worth it.

Other than the very basic Captain America information, I don't know a whole lot about the character. I didn't read CA for very long when I was younger, although I do remember he ran for president or so
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Pretty decent.

I started getting interested with Cap because of the movies; many of my well-versed comic book friends recommended this as one of the best Cap storylines. In that, I wasn't disappointed. Very strong story, fascinating look at Cap, Falcon, Sharon, and others.

I was disappointed at how few women there were, a bit overwhelmed with the complex story and backstory that I didn't know, and then there were plotlines that disappeared (namely, Red Skull's daughter).

Also, weird t
Stephen
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
3.0 stars. I have elsewhere reviewed the individual volumes of the Winter Soldier story-lines in more detail so all I will say here is that I liked the first half better than the second half. Overall, it is still an enjoyable read with excellent art, but I think the potential is there for teh series to be much better.
Jonathan Terrington

The Winter Soldier story arc, is one of the great Marvel story arcs and it is fitting that the movie based upon the arc has been one of the best films of this year.

The reason why this story arc is so important and great is best summed up by the words of the author in the afterword. In which he notes that there are some motivating characters - Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy (I could include Batman's parents) who just don't come back from the dead. And that's because to do so would lessen the motives of t
David Schaafsma
I have no particular interest in Captain America, or even most of the Marvel superhero cast, though I like many have a superficial knowledge of the world and it's recasting this decade. I've read some of the comics, seen the movies. So I am not like a lot reviewers here that are real aficionados, scholars of Cap. I read this because I like Ed Brubaker's excellent noir and noir mashup writing: Criminal, Fatale, Gotham Central.

So I was urged by several friends to finally go back and read this stu
Anna
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars. To be honest, the stuff with the cosmic cube was very "meh" to me personally. The "death" of the Red Skull was interesting though and I feel like if I had more background on it, I'd be more invested in what happened. That ending was creepy as Hell though! I do think I liked the way the movie was structured a lot better than this comic -- too much talk and not enough action! (Oh my God, I'm turning into my Dad...)

But, I really truly enjoyed the idea that Bucky was not a recip
Sans
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Given my would-be-disturbing-if-I-cared addiction to the Winter Soldier film (and all things Bucky), I felt like this was a sure thing walking in. I was totally right. I won't bother with a longer review since it would just be a series of dying whale noises and fangirling gifs.
Alisha
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Immer noch und immer wieder awesome.
kim hannah
Ah! How can it end like that!?

I loved the plot and the graphics. Really brought the story to life. Oh but my poor Bucky.
Sookie
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Captain America is a product of science and as is the Winter Soldier. They are both designed to help the war propaganda backed by different ideologies. Though the execution changes from comics to movies, essence remains the same.

The science behind Captain America has grace, a degree of dignity in the way the serum is designed to work. It embodies Rodger's own values, his ideals and general good intentions. He is a simple guy in a very complex world where the distinction between black and white i
Nicole
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. I really liked this one a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself very well-read in the realm of comic books/graphic novels, so I’m guessing die-hard fans and Cap fans especially might not necessarily have had their socks knocked off by this story because they already knew a lot of it; but I think it’s the best graphic novel I’ve read so far.
My only quibbles are that I’ve always found Red Skull a bit silly (I prefer my villains more grounded in reality, but at least there wasn’t a ton of R
Ariel Marie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Are you a classic Bucky fan or a Winter Soldier fan?"

Somebody asked me that question the other day before Marvel's new announcement. I told them, "Of course Winter Soldier." After expressing my excitement for the new installment of Captain America. I realized very few people understand my love for Captain America: Winter Soldier. Therefore, I decided to review this piece and find it in myself to define how incredible of a story Ed Brubaker created for Marvel fans.

A good comic writer is able to
Kirstine
I don’t understand people who have a favorite superhero and it’s NOT Captain America (no, I lie, I do understand it, I just think they’re totally wrong).

I mean, how can he not be your favorite? He’s a downright good man (not just man, human) in a world that rewards goodness with disdain and scorn. Do you know how difficult that is? How much shit you have to put up with? How does one look at the world and find it worth saving day after day? That’s a power worth having.

Anyway, that is a debate f
Kati
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Art: Four different artists are featured in this omnibus, but I liked Steve Epting's art best, even though all his characters look really rough and old. 4 stars.

Story: All the stories seemed rather depressing, at least to me. Steve's loneliness and weariness, the Winter Soldier's story, the Nomad's descent into madness and subsequent death... I liked the 2nd half of the book better, the Cap's hunt for the Winter Soldier, the revelation of his identity, Sam (Falcon) and Tony's (Iron Man) help...
Labyrinth Rossiter
I chose to read these now because of the Winter Soldier movie, but it also has ties to the SHIELD television show, notably the appearance of Lola, Coulson's red flying car. I really like the way Cap is depicted here. He stays true to the "Boy Scout" type, but he does this in a more realistic setting, where his red, white, and blue ethics must face the inevitable shades of gray. The story is done really well and bound together, certainly justifies the title "graphic novel." It's a military style ...more
Sara (sarajanereads)
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I loved this so much. The characters are amazing and the plot is so action packed and intense, it was everything I wanted.

Ed Brubaker in my opinion is the best when it comes to writing Captain America. He does such an amazing job with the character and his ideals and it's just GREAT. I LOVE IT.

I really enjoyed Sharon Carter in this, I haven't read many comics including her but she's shaping up to be a new favourite of mine. Also Fury, Sam, Bucky and Tony were all great.

Overall this was an amaz
Chad
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brubaker, you had me from the first page. Lark and Brubaker are a match in comic book heaven. Brubaker's noir sensibilities combined with Lark's gritty style. Brubaker does a great job joining a believable Cap'n spy story with the gee whiz bang gonzo American comic book action. Especially creative is the origin stories for the other Captain Americas and how these fit into the timeline.I've never enjoyed Brubaker's other noir stuff, but he was made for Captain America - at least in this volume.
  • Captain America: Man Out of Time
  • Thor: The Trials of Loki
  • Black Widow: The Name of the Rose
  • Astonishing X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Volume 2
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev: Ultimate Collection, Book 1
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Captain America (2004) (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Civil War: Captain America
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face