Start by marking “Witness” as Want to Read:
Witness

Witness

Ben Jenkins is a down-to-earth cop leading a quiet life in a big, empty house. Visits to the gay bars scratch an itch, but they don't really satisfy, and though he's used to the quiet, he recognizes that the empty feeling plaguing him of late is loneliness. It takes a police cruiser and a ten-speed to bring him together with Reece Withers, a bike messenger and photographer ...more
Published April 30th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness

Gigi
Third read November, 2016 I can see how fussy I've become over the years because I was easily annoyed at the, I'm crying like a girl, bullshit, but this book still brings me to my happy place. Warts and all.

Original review

WOW! Just WOW!

This is one of those books that is ALL about the romance and nothing else. There are no car chases, mysteries to solve, break-ups, make-ups, drugs, vampires, aliens, homophobes or bitter ex-wives. Just two adorable men, both drifting through life, searching for so
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!!

Oh man....this book was

...totally swoon worthy!

Pretty sure I had a big fat cheesy grin on my face the whole time I read this one.

Ben and Reece were adorable.

Reece the biker messenger aspiring to be a photographer and Ben the cop who ran over Reece's bike.

There was absolutely 0 drama in this book! ZERO! That's like unheard of.

I loved Ben and Reece together!

This was a near perfect read....it was sweet, it was funny.

And the sex...oh boy

Highly recommend this one!
Jenni Lea
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Gigi

I AM A WITNESS

I have been given a gift. I was given the opportunity to witness what happens when two lonely souls find the other half to their heart. I got to witness them meet. To become friends. To share their lives with each other. To fall in love.

These men don’t have superpowers. They don’t shift into animals or have super human strength or speed. They don’t kick ass. They aren’t rich or powerful. They are just simple, every day normal folk doing simple, every day normal things.

And I was wit
Wendy

I really enjoyed this fluffy read. There wasn't much angst or plot, but it was exactly what I needed right now and these guys were really cute and sweet.

There is Ben who's a cop and Reece, who's a bike-messenger (but wants to be a photographer). They meet (for the second time really) when Ben runs over Reece's bike.

These guys were all kinds of adorable, and Reece was also funny as shit !!

Best part though.....the sexscenes. Damn they were hot and we even got some dirty talk....me like :P

If yo
Susan
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Prepare for major fluff! And lots of cheesiness. It was awesome.

description

We have Reece, a cute bike messenger and Ben, a cop. They meet, they fall in love. That’s about it. But somehow I fell in love with the cute dialogue (very rare in books these days!), the sweetness of it all, and the hot sexy times. This book felt like a warm hug.

And we also got some hurt/comfort. Yay!!

description

Reece was cute, Ben was sweet, and I fell hard for the big cop and the smaller bike messenger.

Read this for the feel-good factor. It
Vio
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Candice
Yep this was just perfect uplifting with lovely tender moments that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Reese was my type of guy lol playful and such a smart ass he was adorable. The chemistry and joking nature between Ben and Reese works brilliantly there were some truly funny moments that had me in hysterics.....overall this was charming and sweet with no major angst, just two wonderful guys finding love and happiness.
Martin
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
description

Oh boy, what a sugar fest!

This is a very sweet comfy read, although this would have been better suited to be a novella. As a full novel, it was a bit overly long - with nothing exciting happening (except for the odd torn condom during some overly enthusiastic sex).

Ben, a cop, and Reece, a bike messenger/photographer meet, fall in love and move together. They meet each other's families and friends and Reece needs to overcome a bad experience from his past. But with Ben's love and understanding -
Susan
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it

Ummm…I think I missed something here. I see a lot of my trusted friends and reviewers giving this a pretty high rating. And I’m a fan of LA Gilbert’s other works. But this one just did NOT do it for me. I mean, annoyingly so.

It was…erm…boring. *ducks*

The story went…uh…nowhere. *hides*

I was completely…ahem…disinterested. *begs for forgiveness*

Ben, a lonely 30-something cop, has a chance meeting w/ Reece, an almost 30 photographer/bicycle messenger. Neither has the ideal life and both are
Justin
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Justin by: Ann

I’m going to attempt to write a review for this book that does not give the wrong impression because I really liked 95% of it.

This did not play a part in my rating but let me start with the book's title, “Witness”. If you’re thinking there's going to be crime & suspense, forget it. I’m pretty sure the title comes from this passage in the final chapter:

"REECE had told him once that taking pictures was a small window into another person’s life, his way of witnessing just a small part
Karla

3 Stars…and that’s being generous…*yawn*!!

wit•ness
1. One who can give a firsthand account of something seen, heard, or experienced. One who furnishes evidence.

Okay, maybe I shouldn’t make assumptions, but based on the title of this book, I thought I was going to read about a murder or crime that one of the main characters…well, witnessed! Since Ben was a cop, I thought he would get involved with Reece, your average citizen, and him being the witness of some sort of incident of the criminal natu
Runell
And we have another winner! Three for three when it comes to L. A. Gilbert. God, can this woman write!

Witness, just as The Coil and The Ghost on My Couch, is a work of beauty. It's a book that is meant to be savored, not gobbled up (no matter how much you want to). It's about the building of a relationship, and praise the high heavens, am I ever glad to read a book where there was't this huge misuderstanding, everybody gets their feelings hurt, and it takes half of the book for the main couple
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.35*

I did a reread, and this is such a sweet, funny story. There are some serious issues in it, but it left me with a smile on my face!
Ok, I first read this story in 2011 and loved it so I decided to reread it.
I still love it.
Ben, a sweet and gentle giant. He's a cop and has a heart of gold. He's a bit of a homebody and he's lonely, especially since his dad died.
Reece is an equally wonderful man, he's great with his elderly neighbor and just an all around nice man. But he's got baggage and he
Tina
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance

Witness is a beautiful, character-driven romance without huge misunderstandings, a super sweet, light and fluffy feel good book. Usually I don’t go for this kind of stories… but this one was exactly what I needed the day I read it. Recommended. :)
Bookwatcher
Have you ever heard the expression "Comfort Read"? Well this book is exactly that...

... a sweet romantic story

Ben is a cop, and his life is more or less boring. I know I know... As a cop he can't have a boring life,but for Ben his work is just something he do to fill his empty life. After the death of his father he stay in their home, all by himself. His last boyfriend was a disaster, and he want to fall in love again, but have no idea how to do it.

Reece is by far my favorite main character of t
Elsbeth
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it

My goodness, this was cute, this was lovely….

This was all about romance. No mysteries, murders or unnecessary angst. Just two fellows falling in love.. And this was their story.

description

The only thing that’s been bugging me is the title Witness… The only thing I can come up with is that this story is all about "witnessing" their love for each other. So shoot me if I’m wrong!!

Read this book if you’re in the mood for a happy, sappy story

“Aw, come on, admit it - you feel like Cinderella, don’t you?”
“No, D
Trisha Harrington
Oh wow this was one of the sweetest stories I have ever read. Ben and Reece were an amazing couple. I especially loved the fact that Ben entered a relationship with Reece when normally he would just have sex with strangers. Some of the reasons I loved this book.

- It was a simple love story
- There was no big break up
- The characters were great
- It was not just about sex but emotion and family
- Plot wise the book was very nice it was simplistic which is nice to read

For some people, this book might
Jenni
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
A reminder that two stars doesn't mean I hated it; it was just...okay.

For me, Witness was an utterly predictable, boring story that included characters with no depth and a very slow-moving plot. I found myself looking at that little reading progress ticker at the bottom left corner of my Kindle and thinking, "this has got to be over soon." And then I'd see it was at 30-40-50-60 percent, etc.

*head, desk*

I never took myself for an angst lover, but apparently I do need a little something-somethi
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Mar 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Gigi
Just one-clicked this thanks to some late night recs (Gigi, Jenni Lea, Ann)!!
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: Susan65
Shelves: m-m
This has to be the slowest, most boringly over detailed opener I have ever read. If Cougar didn't keep saying how good it is I'd DNF at 3%

Omg this is ridiculous. If I had never woken up and gone through a morning routine before, this might be slightly more interesting as is, it's stupid. Whole thing so far could have been summed up with "he got ready for work" not he shut off alarm. Went down stairs. Stretched. Went for a jog. Blah blah. Got a bowl for cereal, it's blue he runs his fingers alon
Ami
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it

I don't want to sound repetitive but I think most of my friends get it perfectly right when they say that this book is NICE. Both Ben and Reece are nice people -- the "problems" of their life: Ben being without parents (he's 35 years old, though) and longing for a relationship, and Reece who "sabotages" his life because of a tragedy that happens in his past might be written there but it doesn't provide any deep emotional turmoil or heavy angst.

It might probably even be boring, if not f
BWT (Belen)
Amazingly sweet & fluffy

This is just a really sweet, no angst, romance story. Ben and Reece are perfect for each other. Thankfully, there are also some very steamy sex scenes, which is fantastic because they temper what could have been an overabundance of sweetness.

A great romance story with no angst, miscommunication, stupidity or other manufactured B.S. to get in the way.

Thanks to Gigi for recommending it to me!
Shannon
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I thought this book was about a crime and protecting a witness. Not at all. This was a fabulous love story. I usually prefer my stories a little more angsty, but this was the perfect blend of sweetness and hot sex. It's rare I give a 5 star without doing some crying, but this book just felt so perfect!!
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
4.5 Stars
Elle Beasee
Dec 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I find myself in somewhat of a quandry.

I NEVER DNF a book.

It's not out of principle that I read to the end, nor is it a particularly conscious action. I find that I am, rather surprisingly, somewhat of an optimist and until I read the final line of a book that is causing me all sorts of distress, I refuse to believe that it may in fact be, as it appears to be 99% of the way through, utter shite. I have never had my initial opinion shaken up but I live in hope.

And so here I am classifying this as
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
A love story.
Nothing else, no drama, angst, mystery, complications....
Just a wonderful, beautiful story about two people who meet, fall in love and want to build a life together.
I loved this book so much, the mcs are really sweet and lovely.
Recommended without a doubt ❤
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This was so good and super sweet Like hurts your teeth sweet. This was all about meeting and falling harder and harder in love. Man I wanted to hug them both alot!
Awilk -never sleeps-
This was a sweet, beautiful love story. There was no big dramas or angst. It was just what I needed to feel good about the world again.

Reece was a bike messenger who wanted to make it as a photographer. So far in his life it hadn't really happened for him, but he still hadn't given up on his dream. He was still living in his small apartment that he moved to when he was nineteen after leaving his family after a tragedy had befallen them. He still kept in contact with him family, but was a little
Bev
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet and romantic love story. Minimal angst, lots of love between two lonely souls, light and fluffy. Still prefer Ghost on my Couch though. 4 stars.
Amy
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars... Hmmm. Well. I’m not sure quite what to say about this one. It wasn’t really what I was expecting. And that may be my fault because I’ll admit that I did *not* read the summary or any reviews. My bad. This has been on my TBR forever and it was one of my BINGO choices for the week, so I jumped in without thinking twice about it.

Maybe I’ve been reading too much Rhys Ford and S.E. Jakes lately and I’m used to over-the-top action. You know, people getting shot, cars blown up, kidnapping
Td
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Td by: Simsala
Shelves: light-and-easy, sniff
I threw out a request for a no gimmicks, feel good story, light on the angst and drama with some smutty goodness and this recommendation was thrown right back in like less than a minute. :)

There were a couple of issues, however. The first chapter or two were a lot of telling and I questioned whether I wanted to continue reading, but I did. Once Ben and Reece connected, there was some wacky head-hopping which never ceased and kept me on my toes. I decided to shove that aside as well. The dialogue

• Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Quinn's Hart
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • The Good Thief
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Take My Picture
  • Sounds of Love (Senses and Sensations, #1)
  • Gambling On Maybe (GlitterBomb! #1)
  • A Change of Tune (Change #1)
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
  • Truthful Change
  • Gumption & Gumshoes
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Forever (Spy vs. Spook #3)
  • Diversion (Diversion, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
  • Love & Loyalty  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #2)
L.A. Gilbert currently lives in a small British town where not much of anything ever really occurs. Jumping from job to job, she has no real qualifications in anything and is blithely proud of it. Between spectacularly failing driving test after test, she generally spends her free time reading about beautiful gay men, if not attempting to write about them. She is perhaps not the most outgoing of p ...more
“I knew you were all smitten and shit, but fuck, you really do love this guy." The smirk in Darren's voice was obvious. And annoying. "Aw, come on, admit it - you feel like Cinderella, don't you?"
"No, Darren, I don't. And do you know why?"
"No sugar, tell me why."
"Because I'm a man. I've got a big fat one and I like to fuck other guys." Darren was laughing over the phone now, and it made Reece grin. "And Ben isn't a prince, he's a cop. A big, sexy cop who fucks like a machine. He's a man. I'm a man. We're men." He nodded sharply. "Now fuck off. I'm arranging flowers.”
104 likes
“Every gay man should be familiar with Bert and Ernie."

"And why is that?"

Reece rolled his eyes, smiling. "Everyone knows that they're lovers."

Ben stopped what he was doing and looked at the man incredulously. "Okay, Reece, seriously, can you hear yourself?"

"They are!" Reece said. "They live together, share a bedroom; I'm telling you the sexual tension is very palpable." Ben raised an eyebrow and said nothing. Reece cleared his throat. "You're going to break up with me now, aren't you?”
55 likes