Start by marking “Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
One of the reasons knitting and colorwork master Melissa Leapman first learned to knit was her wish to make one special project—a sweater using Fair Isle technique. Now, for the first time, she brings her passion for advanced color knitting to knitters who want to knit with any and every color of yarn they can wrap around their needles.

Conquer classic stranded knitting,
Published November 9th 2010 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Mastering Color Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering Color Knitting

thuy
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a good book on colorwork for beginning or intermediate knitters who want to try or are not very familiar with colorwork. It has techniques, some cool tips and tricks as well, as a good primer on color theory. The book is divided into three sections and covers stranded colorwork, intarsia and double knitting, with four projects for each technique. Patterns range from home accessories like pillows to sweaters, hats and scarves. While I think the projects would be good for practicing the te ...more
Sara
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library
This book has the best explanation of color theory that I've ever read. While I was in school, we didn't ever learn anything about art in my Parochial school. I was too busy being "academic" to learn fun things that might have interested me. These explanations fill in the holes in my education.
Apryl Anderson
This was an excellent overview of the major colorwork techniques: Stranded, Intarsia, and Reversible Two-Color Double Knitting. Although there are other more all-encompassing books out there, I appreciate leaning over Ms. Leapman's shoulder, as it were, to observe how she plays with color. In fact, the first chapter, "Getting Started" is one of the most helpful guides to applying color theory in knitting. Because I'm more interested in creating my own designs, I've not used any of the patterns i ...more
Rachael
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
so if i was stranded on a desert island with needles, some yarn, and this book... yeah i'd be pretty screwed.

it's not a bad book by any means, and i'm going to make sure i keep it handy for reference tips and tricks. maybe they're useful.

but if i didn't have access to youtube or other knitters to explain things to me when they don't make sense, this book would have just left me more confused than i was starting out. i'm not exactly an advanced knitter or anything but i'm learning as i go, and i
Ina
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handcrafts
For an advanced beginner like me the book contained enough to cover all my color knitting desires. I did't read everything in detail but got an overall impression of all the techniques possible - I will read them when I need it (for example the chapter about intarsia, not so interestet into that at the moment).
I liked the pattern 'library' best - used some of the charts for this project.
Most of the projects in the book are nice but are explicit and time consuming ones so I wouldn't knit one of t
jahiebert
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knit-crochet, library
Excellent guide if you are thinking of getting into color knitting. As a fan of double knitting, I really appreciated the amount of information and variety of techniques covered in the double knitting section.

Nice, clear illustrations for most of the techniques in the book. Would like to have seen a few more for techniques that were only described in text format but at least the text explanations were nice and clear.

A good complement to The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques, which cov
Kristi
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Complete and clear instructions on what the subtitle says - stranded, intarsia and double knitting. The first chapter does provide a brief overview on color knitting concerns such as choosing colors and dealing with yarn ends, though the proceeding book in the series covers those issues more in depth I'm told.

As a knitwear designer and knitting instructor who has studied both knitting and color theory extensively, there were no "ah-ha" moments for me. The presentation of the information was well
S.
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone afraid of colorwork, tension or stranded work
Recommended to S. by: a friend who knits like a pro!
This book taught me everything I needed to know to pick up my needles and conquer my fear of Fair Isle and Intarsia both!

For years I have been skipping patterns that involved colorwork. I bought this book and read it from cover to cover. Melissa has a wonderful gift for teaching. She made my demons vanish by showing me that my fears were all in my head!

Today, I LOOK for colorwork patterns to challenge myself and improve my knitting skills. I cannot wait to read and try another of Melissa's books
Cayenne
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent and had the best explanation with visual aids that I've seen of the color wheel and color combinations. The writing was excellent and the concepts taught were well-presented. Even though I have previously studied and practiced all of the techniques examined in the book, I understood them even better after reading this book. I'm sorry to have missed Leapman's workshop that was held here only a couple months ago. What a lost opportunity! This woman is obviously a very good ...more
Tara
Aug 13, 2012 added it
Shelves: good-reference
I read this at the library this morning and found it very helpful. I only liked the two hat patterns so I will check it out in the future to try my hand with color knitting. The best part, though, was the explanation of how to read a knitting chart. I realized I had done a pattern in a different book the wrong way! It's no wonder the head band looks different than the picture. The point is that this book seems to explain the three techniques simply, with color-coded illustrations.
Meghan
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This is a knitting book I really enjoyed! I came into it as somewhat of a novice, having only ever done stripes before in terms of color knitting, and it was a great guide with lots of pictures and plenty of explanation. Wide variety of awesome patterns for men, women, and kids, along with handy color guides and skill tips.

Recommended to anyone tackling color knitting for the first time or refining technique, or that one relative that always asks how you make such cool stuff.
Jackie Fowler
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning color knitters
Shelves: knitting
This is a well organized and formatted knitting book for the Kindle. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's meant more for beginners. It's a great introduction and resource for those tentative about jumping into color knitting. I liked all the extended e-book content available online via hyperlinks such as charts and knitter's graph paper.
Mary
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, series, crafts
I loved all the patterns. I just wish the colors would have been included in the keys for the pattern library. There were a few that had combos I would like to use. I'll just have to guess the colors.
Janell
Apr 13, 2011 added it
I'm trying some reversible stuff now and it is hard!! Well, keeping track of it is interesting anyway. I think the book is good for learning techniques, but most of the actual projects I won't want to make.
Shannon
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for learning or perfecting knitting with colour. The techniques are explained clearly and this is a go-to resource for me. This book has helped me to perfect my stranded knitting and I will definitely return to this book when I decide to figure out intarsia - one day!
Melissa
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yarn, non-fiction
A through guide to the basics of several techniques, and good advice for designing your own projects in each. If you're not ready to plunge into designing, there's a small but nicely varied selection of full patterns, and a wider ranging sampling of charts and motifs.
Ciaobella
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! Leapman's passion shines, but there is such a great deal of detail... if only it was spiral bound. This is essential reference for people considering the Master Knitter's program.
Kristine
pretty book, some interesting techniques. I particularly appreciated the steeking info w/multiple copies. didn't really read all of this so it would be nice to come back to.
Maggie
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
Jumped right into steeking on page 36. I'm not ready to steek! Well, after reading it, I guess I'm ready to steek...
OssifrageRage
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
Good reference. Contains color theory, stitch patterns, basic knitting technique and of course special colorwork techniques. I might buy this for myself, certainly a nice gift book.
Pixie
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
It was a good book for learning about color but I was hoping for more instructions on how to handle multiple color changes in items such as socks where stretch is a concern.
Patty
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book gave some good insight and great tips, but for a newbie like me it raised some other questions it didn't answer.
Mckinley
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Good, also has stitch patterns.
Personal like Color knitting the easy way by Leapman a little more.
Catherine
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Borrowed from READS

Really good resource for learners. Has tons of practice patterns.

Project patterns I liked:
* Kilim Sampler Throw (GORGEOUS!)
* Snuggle-Up Baby Blanket (reversible - adorable)
Amy Cutting
Looks to be an amazing book on color knitting. I haven't gotten to try one of patterns yet but fully intend to. The information and techniques are fully worth the read though
Ev
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
If you are just learning colour work, this book is great at giving you instructions. Most of the descriptions are followed by visuals. Lots of learning projects so you can practice.
Dale Edmonds
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plan in borrowing or buying this to practice some color projects. Clear and good.
Anne
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Delivers what it promises: simple instructions, elaborate results.
Bobbi
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Double color knitting explained well. Memories-of-Vail Hat p. 159
Not crazy about other patterns in book, but explanations of variety of techniques are excellent.
Darcey
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
More full of patterns than techniques, sadly.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Sock Innovation
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • Knitter's handbook
  • Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting
  • Sweater Design in Plain English
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »