Start by marking “Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach” as Want to Read:
Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach

Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach

Kids with ADHD need to be loved and shown how to become successful adults. Unfortunately, their lack of attention and restlessness often get in the way. Parents of these kids try so hard to stay connected and remain patient in the face of daily frustration. However, it is an incredible challenge to remain positive and involved when your child does not respond to the kinds ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting Children with ADHD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting Children with ADHD

Start your review of Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of children recently diagnosed with ADHD
Recommended to Sarah by: sarahcuddy@gmail.com
I found the scientific information very helpful. There was a lot of information about how most ADHD brains function and why/how different medications (some times) work. Also, while the nutritional information was not by any means conclusive, the book stressed the importance of protein intake-and why, and I am so glad I read that as I'm honestly not sure our doctor would have given us that information on his own, which I now feel is essential.

The discipline/behavioral improvement ideas were okay
Trace
Apr 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. The title seemed to indicate a holistic approach that didn't necessarily rely on medication as the foundational treatment. But this was a false assumption on my part as the author promotes ritalin from the very beginning of the book.

The chapter on diet and nutrition (when he FINALLY got around to tackling this topic) made me want to throw the book in the garbage. The author talks about his favorite breakfast as having great protein content and staying power. Want to
Heather Brown
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I loved that this book gave value to the medical need for many people and children with ADHD to be treated with medication, while continuing to stress the importance of behavior modification and nutrition. ADHD is a medical diagnosis and requires several different strategies to help children learn to cope and become productive and contributing citizens.
Danielle
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of difficult or ADHD kids
What a great book! In plain language, it explains the medical basics of ADHD, like how to get a diagnosis, and what different meds will and won't do. Also provides tons of advice for helping your child manage it: In addition to meds, kids need protein at lunch and dinner, routines, clear rules with consequences and lots of positive reinforcement, along with on-on-one time. And of course, a parent needs to take care of herself, too.

These strategies would work with all kids - but if you think you
Jillian
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far this has been the most helpful parenting book I've read--goodbye "What To Expect: The Toddler Years", you're not helpful at all when it comes to raising my Little Tornado! The only problem I had with this book is that it was basically for parents with school-aged kids. I need one for toddlers. Still extremely helpful.
Sheri
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually read this book because I accidentally placed a hold on it while searching for a completely different topic in the library catalog. I decided I was apparently meant to read it.

Though the title seemed to indicate that the author holds medicine at arm's length, it really indicates his belief that, while medicine has an important place in treating the symptoms of ADHD, it is only a part of the treatment picture. He has chapters on the medical legitimacy of ADHD, on the importance of a go
Rachael
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether you believe ADHD is a real medical thing or just a behavior thing, I think Dr. Monastra does a good job explaining how to walk through many behavior issues with a child, not just how to "deal" with them. These strategies could also be just as effective and have merit for anyone, not just those living or working with someone who may have "ADHD"-like symptoms; for adults, too, not just kids. Dr. Monastra also makes it a point to discuss that just because someone has ADHD-like symptoms, it ...more
Ck
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid recommendations from nutrition, medication, education and emotional control.
Douglas Lord
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The excellent thing about Monastra's approach is that he is uniformly protective of the children, supportive of the parents, and encourages parents and professionals to educate themselves about ADHD at all times since it is a moving target. Much of the information in the book, now over 10 years old, is 'classic' in terms of conforming to the 'new style' of parenting kids with ADHD. Deeply suspicious of simple drug tactics, he favors holistic and family-friendly approaches that are catered to eac ...more
Adrienne
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adhd
I mostly skimmed through this book as I've been reading a lot of books on ADHD and get the basics of what it is. I would read more on the areas that other books hadn't touched or where this author took another opinion. Vincent Monastra doesn't believe everyone has a bit of ADHD like others in the field have said they can have symptoms of it or times of it (like situational depression, situational ADHD). He believes ADHD is soley caused by genes, we inherit it. the author does believe that nutrit ...more
Nikki
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Our 7 year old has been diagnosed as having ADHD and I found this book to be interesting and filled with some good ideas as to how to help children with ADHD. Quite a few examples discussed in the book (in regards to parent/child conflict) hit home. The book isn't anti-medication and the title may be misleading to those who don't read a summary beforehand. This is the first book I've read on the topic and won't be the last, but I'm sure to go back and reference many of the author's suggestions.
Ruben
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This sort of book doesn't need to be funny or exciting; it needs to strike a balance between giving enough information and trying to answer every possible question. The more the author tries to provide the one book to rule them all, the less likely it is that any one reader will find the material applicable. I appreciate the readability and brevity, in particular the explanations of diet and drugs. Other books love to stuff each chapter with hypothetical children when a simple explanation would ...more
Steve Blankenship
Great resource

I have read several parenting guides, but this the most useful. I have begun to implement some of the author's suggestions and have seen a change almost immediately. I also had no idea about the other factors that could be causing my child's difficulty with concentration. I ended up skipping over the homework sections, but feel like I still got the help I needed.
Leslie
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really thought this was an interesting book. I gained a ton of info about ADHD and tips to help the kids succeed in life. I would recommend this book to anyone who knows or even thinks their child(ren) might be ADHD.
Laura Milvy
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Between this book and therapy, thing seem like we are beginning to get a grip on ADHD. Whereas I am finding the chart and point system very helpful, I think there is way to much emphasis place=d on medication in this book and I found that disheartening.
Suzi
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A perfect blend of medical science, common sense, and parenting practice. An intelligent, comprehensive approach whether you wonder if your child has ADHD or if they've already been diagnosed. Helpful and insightful about what it is really like to parent a child with ADHD.
Crystal
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book for me to read in order to help our family dynamic with a child with ADHD. The explanation of what ADHD is, why meidcations work, and what you can do in addition to medication were helpful as our family worked on routines and systems that would help us.
Lisa
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book provided clear, concrete steps for parenting a child with ADHD. Most helpful book I have read (so far). It helped explain why the methods I was trying were not working with my son w/ADHD, and gave me excellent suggestions for what to do instead. Highly recommend.
Brita
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
excellent book on getting ADHD accurately diagnosed and ways of working with children in a home setting who have adhd. Best book on adhd I have read. EAsy to read and understand.
Tracey
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I would recommend it to anyone who deals with children that have ADHD. It is written in clear, simple terms and gives great advice. I refer to this book often!
Englandjennifer
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By far one of the BEST books on ADHD!!
Kiki
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a great guide for anyone looking to supplement their child's medications. Highly recommended and will be reading it again and again!

I can't say enough good things about this book.
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource full of practical information, as well as factual information about influencing factors of ADHD. This is a resource I will refer to many times over the years.
Peggy
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide with simple strategies for dealing with problem behaviors. It does not address every situation but the suggestions are applicable to parenting all children.
Anne Jordan-Baker
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adhd
On my core list of important books on adhd. Worth reading.
Despond
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: done
Informative, practical and helpful from someone who actually counsels kids with ADHD.
Wonderish
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read about ADHD since my son was diagnosed. It was an extremely easy read and I was comforted by the idea of having a place to start with the practical advice given.
Amy
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The second half of this book spoke to me much more than the first half. I found very practical, usable information for me and my boys.
Cathryn Shaw
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book helps with understanding ADHD, but it's been counseling with someone trained in ADHD that has been most helpful. I go back to this book for reference.
Angie
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful for parents of kids with ADHD!
A must read 1 4 Jul 19, 2007 05:36AM

• What Your ADHD Child Wishes You Knew: Working Together to Empower Kids for Success in School and Life
  • Helping Your Child with Language-Based Learning Disabilities: Strategies to Succeed in School and Life with Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, and Processing Disorders
  • The Explosive Child
  • The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
  • We Were Mothers
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Der Junge, der zu viel fühlte: Wie ein weltbekannter Hirnforscher und sein Sohn unser Bild von Autisten für immer verändern
  • O călătorie prin univers: astrofizica povestită
  • Talkability: People Skills for Verbal Children on the Autism Spectrum; A Guide for Parents
  • The Everyday Life Bible: The Power of God's Word for Everyday Living
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • 200 Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes: Easy Recipes to Jumpstart Your Low-Carb Weight Loss
  • Where Children Run (Pischke Twins, #1)
  • The Kingdom and the Cross
  • The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows
  • The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall
Vincent J. Monastra, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist and director of the FPI Attention Disorders Clinic in Endicott, New York. He is internationally recognized for his research on the neurophysiological characteristics of children and teens with ADHD and his treatment studies demonstrating the significance of parenting style, school intervention, nutrition, and EEG biofeedback in their overall c ...more