Start by marking “The Dog Who Healed a Family: And Other True Animal Stories That Warm the Heart & Touch the Soul” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In this charming collection of nineteen stories, you can't help but fall in love with the unlucky fawn who is saved by a nursing home, the troublesome rabbit who warms her way into a new family and the good (German) shepherd who comforts the sick. These are stories of hope, humor, triumph, loyalty, compassion, life and even death—but most of all, these are stories of love ...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Healed a Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Healed a Family

Lacey
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kirsti
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've had this on my to-read list for a while now, and finally decided to take the plunge. I do love a book filled with short stories about animals, although I must read too many of them because two of the stories in this book have definitely been in Chicken Soup books. That aside, the other stories were lovely to read, fresh and new to me. I adore exploring that relationship between a human and their beloved animal, whatever it may be. I often say that you get a real animal soul mate sometimes, ...more
Melody Michelle
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay, this is a SPOIL ALERT: not all of the animals survive. I know, I know, shocking. Somehow, I hoped (in vain) that all of the stories would magically end in the manner I wanted. But alas, they are true stories and that means a mixture of good and not-so-good emotions. I still enjoyed reading this book. I have three dogs, so I know how easy it is to be emotionally invested in pets. These are some good tales (or tails) that seem to unite the spirit of pet appreciators!
Joanne
Aug 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
Short stories from the likes of Family Circle and Reader's Digest - lots of maudlin fluff..............:(
Lois
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of true short stories will make you laugh and cry. Both heartwarming and poignant in turn, veteran animal writer Jo Coudert has gathered together, in The Dog Who Healed a Family: And Other True Animal Stories That Warm the Heart & Touch the Soul, eighteen of her endearing, amusing and inspiring stories of special animal and human relationships that have pushed the boundaries of care and nurturing, and led to extraordinary bonds of love. Of the stories, seven were originally p ...more
Lenore Webb
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've always had pets in my house, from the time I was four years old and decided I wanted a kitten. When I asked my dad for one, his response was something along the lines of "you can have a cat or me." I replied, without missing a beat: "when are you moving out?" The next
day, mom and I went and got Snowball, the demon kitten from hell. After learning that Siamese cats are occasionally insane due to inbreeding, we got an older, spayed, de-clawed cat named Annie. That started a wonderful group of
Julia
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I remember getting this book and reading it while I enjoyed the book. And I just re-read the book while I wasn't as much happy with the book the second time around. In a sense this is one of several books that are written about animals while exploring how we interact with those other species that live around us, seeking for a clue of why we do what we do with the animals (love) and exploring some heartwarming stories.

The first story once more made me cry for the lengths that so many gentle-hea
Mary (BookHounds)
I don't know if it is a good sign or not to be in happy tears by the end of the first story in this collection of essays about animals, but for me, any book that provokes emotion is usually a good one. The story about Snoopy, the dachshund/beagle mix, just hit the spot about the kindness of strangers coming together to get this 16 pup home via a "puppy express" to the family that couldn't afford to get him back after a job loss and travel across country. I was also truly touched by the story of ...more
Sharon
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-rescue, dogs
Jo Coudert has gathered a collection of 19 stories that illustrate the human/animal bond. Dogs, cats, pigs, ducks, geese, pigs and even deer and raccoons "people" the pages of this short book.

Coudert has chosen stories that will make her readers laugh, cry and experience the full range of motions in between. The common theme is that people and animals teach each other about love and compassion, as has been borne out by numerous studies and significant research.

Science and empirical data is one t
Kirsty Hopgood
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - anyone who loves animals will enjoy it, I did get a bit teary with some stories. Looking back on the titles, it is hard to choose a favourite - when I started the book and saw there were some stories on a duck, deer, raccoon and pig as well as dogs - I certainly didn't expect those stories to be as touching as well.
The writer concludes the book comparing the unconditional love an animal has for a human with the love humans share which was interesting.
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Sophie
I really liked all of the stories. My favorites were "The Puppy Express", "Sweet Elizabeth", "Frankie Buck", "I Love You, Pat Myers", "A Swan Called Porcelain", "Goose Steps", "The Dog Who Healed a Family", "A Deer Asks for Help", "Where's Bubba?", "How Do You Spank a Duck?", "Connie and the Dog", "The Good Shepherd", "Saving Trouper", "The Pig Who Loved People" and "Afterword: The Year of Pure Love". So basically I think the whole book is excellent!!
Shannon Rochester
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I loved the book but there were a couple of short stories in there that I didn't really feel belonged...they did NOT leave my heart feeling good like the rest of them did. But, all in all, this was a great read.
Lauren
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book is definitely heart touching and u must read it I loved this book and I highly recommend it. Five stars from me.
Sue
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is filled with really sweet stories. The writing style is
a bit contrived, but the stories are very heart-warming. This is a great
feel-good book.
Andrew Bagwell
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Very heartwarmng book.
Raksha Bhat
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every time I look at an another living being from now on , it is going to be a little different :-)
Kathy
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books

Collection of heartwarming short stories not just about dogs but other pets as well. Great for the pet lover on your list.
Stephanie A.
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Store-brand Chicken Soup For the Pet Lover's Soul, in one pile of heartwarming (if not outstanding) fuzzies.
Pricillia A.W.
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every story really touch my heart
Juli
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love a good animal story and this book was a collection of 19 great animal stories. I didn't expect to feel such affinity for animals such as ducks, pigs, parrots and raccoons.
Amy
Feb 01, 2014 marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
Like others have said, this is not as light hearted as the cover & title make it appear. This is not for the faint of heart! Some stories are downright crewel!!
Melanie M
Not really what I thought it would be...Still an okay book but not as happy as I thought :(
Debolina Raja
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever come across....a book about love, caring, friendship, hope and all those things that make this life worth living...
Carol
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"Read with Me" The Dog Who Healed a Family 5 5 Aug 16, 2010 05:36PM
  • Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger
  • The Dog Who Couldn't Stop Loving: How Dogs Have Captured Our Hearts for Thousands of Years
  • Dog House: A Love Story
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Wagging Tails In Heaven: The Gift Of Our Pets Everlasting Love
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • Jungle Jack: My Wild Life