Start by marking “Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)

Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,936 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Published February 19th 2003 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Ties That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ties That Bind

Kristen
Jul 04, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-thriller, 2012
In Phillip Margolin's Ties that Bind, the 3rd book in the Amanda Jaffe legal thriller series, it packed a big punch of surprises on both sides of the spectrum. Murder, intrigue, politics, it was all in there. Amanda Jaffe survived the Cardoni attack, a while back, while it left her traumatized and avoiding the limelight. That was until she took on the case on Jon Dupre, who ran an upscale call girl service, and was accused of murdering the US senator. But he had proof of the existence of a secre ...more
 Marla
Lots of characters to track. Amanda Jaffe is a character in the series, but it's not really about her or from her point of view.

Likes:
* Great plot twists
* Whodathunkit endings
* Tough to tell good guys from bad guys
* Spoilers about the first book were avoided
* Ally Bennett, beautifully exotic high-priced call girl was a clever lady and interesting character
(view spoiler)
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
11/3/10 -- I don't read as many thrillers as I used to, but it seems like when I do read one these days, it ends up being an abridged audio, which is not always the best choice I don't think. This one moved too fast for me. I think the storyline was decent, but I would've followed it better had it not been abridged. I found myself having a little trouble keeping track of who was who & while there were a few plot twists in this one, they seemed pretty abrupt. As for the audio itself, I didn't ...more
Jamie
A story about corruption and conspiracy. The Vaughn Street Glee Club was a good idea for the book. The story heats up at page 300. The ending seemed like it would be continued with Pedro Aragon being the loose thread.
Dara S.
I have loved everything I have ever read by Margolin. This book is full of twists and turns and keeps you guessing. If you are in the mood for a thriller with a surprise ending, I highly recommend Philip Margolin.
Celia
May 10, 2017 Celia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dont-recommend, dnf
Someone please explain to me how this B-grade mystery novel made the New York Times Bestsellers List.

I refuse to finish this, but pressing on to page 92 was enough to confirm my fears from the prologue: the writing is atrociously juvenile. I'm on an overseas trip and don't have room in my luggage for any crap. So, since I can't imagine even giving this American embarrassment away, I will be literally throwing it in the garbage can recycling bin at the end of this review.

Below is the excerpt I ha
Susannah Carleton
May 21, 2017 Susannah Carleton rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Very good book about a powerful group of men who seem to have no qualms about anything, including murder. The cast of characters is large, but fairly easy to keep track of, especially for readers who read the first book in the series. Amanda, with the help of investigator Kate Ross, deduces the group's beginning with the help of an old newspaper article, but goes through a difficult time while preparing the defend a man accused of killing a U. S. Senator.
Lee
The Second Amanda Jaffe book finds her defending a pimp who is accused of killing a US Senator and his first attorney. As lots of people associated with the case start to get killed she believes a wider conspiracy may be in effect. Can she determine his innocence and unravel the conspiracy.
Garth Slater
May 15, 2017 Garth Slater rated it liked it
This was fair at best sorry to say. Not quite a two star.
Bekah
Mar 09, 2017 Bekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely LOVE the Amanda Jaffe series!
Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it
Complex plot pleases with suspense-filled twists and turns...

Margolin is not as well known as Grisham or Scott Turow, but he can write a legal thriller with equal suspense. Here is his eighth novel to date; its complex plot had just the right number of characters so we could keep track, unlike his prior book, "The Associate", which seemed to us to be overpopulated with shallow characters and red herrings.

It's difficult to report on much of the action without revealing the fine story line, but D
Bob
Aug 17, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
Large Print Pgs 550
Prolog
Pedro Aragon is a drug dealer in Portland OR and tonight he as an appointment with 3 preppy college guys for a big buy. He is at his “office” along with his guards and workers when the 3 show up in their red Jag. After a few minutes of talk Pedro turns to take them to the back room to complete the deal, but before he finishes his turn his outside guard crashes through the door dripping blood, followed by 3 armed black men. Pedro is on their turf and after taking care of
Jose Hernandez
Dec 25, 2013 Jose Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phillip-margolin
Really enjoyed it

Success is fleeting; nobody knows this better than lawyer Amanda Jaffe, She had been the undisputed rising star of Portland's legal community, but in a cruel twist of irony, the same case that put her on the map -- the Cardoni trial, which pitted Amanda against a brilliant sociopath (in the New York Times bestseller Wild Justice) -- had left her traumatized, doubting her instincts, and shunning the limelight.

This reticence ends when Amanda agrees to handle the case no one else w
Nicolás Leyton
Feb 16, 2016 Nicolás Leyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me he demorado bastante en terminarlo pero no porque no me haya enganchado si no porque el bloqueo está haciendo de las suyas conmigo.

Este es un libro con una narración un poco confusa pero agradable. Encarnas de verdad cada personaje y sus sufrimientos, eso es algo que le abono mucho al autor.

Otro aspecto que me gustó del libro es la manera en la que se desarrolla toda la corrupción política y los escándalos posteriores, agregado a eso la conspiración que se presenta en los diferentes bandos me
Dobby0390
This is the first Phillip Margolin book I've read, but it won't be the last. All I can really say about this book is - Wow.

I prefer a writing style that is crisper - Robert B Parker, Lee Child, Robert Crais - so it took me awhile to settle into Margolin's more narrative style. The difference in writing styles slows down the action, but it also keeps you steeped in the characters' emotions longer. (view spoiler)
Devlin
Apr 20, 2016 Devlin rated it it was amazing
This book is the first I've read for my own enjoyment in at least a year! I picked it up expecting a standard crime thriller and got so much more. It captivated me and brought the joy of reading back after a long hiatus brought on by academics. It's definitely a page-turner, so don't expect to put it down without anxiety for what will happen next. Thinking of possible solutions to the mysteries within as I was too sleepy to read the book only served to keep me up longer than I'd like to admit. T ...more
Susan Ashcraft
Apr 12, 2012 Susan Ashcraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Amanda Jaffe, an up and coming criminal defense lawyer in Portland, is still battling demons caused by PTSD. A year earlier she had been kidnapped and abused by a sociopath but managed to escape. She is determined to get her life back on track but seeing crime scene photos of a badly ravaged and bloated woman on the beach sends her into shock. She's worried she will never get over her trauma.

Tim Kerrigan, a prosecutor in Portland, is a married man with a young daughter whom he adores. No one kno
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Another reliably exciting read from Phillip Margolin. Has this tuy EVER written something that was less than REALLY good? I haven't read it, if he has!

Amanda Jaffe is back - she was in a prior novel...as was Daniel Ames, who is mentioned in this one but not a major character. Intersting that he is living now with Amanda's investigator.

I didn't see the Maria Lopez piece coming...and the end WAS bit contrived -- sort of deus ex machina-ish, yet TOTALLY right on for the movie that should be made of
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, FEBRUARY 6, 2016
Narrator: George Guidall

I enjoyed this one very much:) Senior Deputy DA Tim Kerrigan's fling with Ally Bennett gripped me like a bad road accident with a bloodied body on the road. I liked how Amanda's case, defending Jon Dupre, the pimp, was interwoven with Kerrigan's dilemma such that lawyers on both sides get equal time. No fillers. Just gritty, page-turning suspense.

I didn't listen to the first book because Anna Fields narrated. I listened to a few minute
Nani
Jan 30, 2014 Nani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-2014
I really liked the first Amanda Jaffe book but this one was even better loved the way the story flowed with lots of players and what seemed like lines that didn’t go together until they did fit perfectly together. It’s definitely a story that demands the reader’s attention, but the action and logic make it easy to give it that full attention. This was definitely a book I couldn’t put down, really, I was irritated by a couple of meetings that I didn’t have to sit in a waiting room for a prolonged ...more
Alison
May 24, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
This was a real spell binding, fast paced, murder mystery with characters that either you loved or hated. Some of the characters were people you'd love to associate with; others scared the dickens out of you just being in the same room. While the story itself was fascinating (murders, whores, high profile judges, senators, lawyers, you get my drift)what left me spellbound was the very unexpected twist towards the end. When I read a mystery, I try to read between the lines, to anticipate where th ...more
Jesus Vega
Jul 09, 2016 Jesus Vega rated it really liked it
While the Prologue was important to the story line, I felt like it didn't hook me. I put the book down after reading half of it around three months ago and finally picked it back up a week ago.

I'm glad I did.

The story is excellently written, the characters are developed in a way that the reader connects with them, and the bad guys made me furious. Congratulations to Phillip Margolin. I plan to read the other books in the Amanda Jaffe series and, who knows, maybe I'll pick up another one of you
Dan
Jan 04, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
What will Jon Dupre do? He is just a simple operator of an Exotic Escort
service that caters to the rich and powerful. Is it his fault a U. S. Senator
ends up dead after one of his girls was sharing time with the senator? So now Jon
is in jail for his murder.What about the lawyer that was appointed to defend him?
Why did that lawyer try to kill Jon? Many are the twists and turns,and Amanda Jaffe
has to figure it out.
Clay
Feb 12, 2014 Clay added it
This is the first Phillip Margolin book I have read. I was honestly ready to put it away after the first three chapters, but something told me it to give it a little longer. I am so glad I did! It is actually a very good read and well written. I LOVED the surprise twist that was completely unexpected.
Thank you, Mr. Margolin for writing a book that was fun to read and surprisingly fun and unpredictable.
Anne Martin
Jun 04, 2016 Anne Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-own
I knew I had some good books in the piles in my garage. This one is a great suspense story. The cover says it's worth Scott Turow or Grisham; it is not, it is better.
How can you imagine an inmate killing his lawyer? does not make any sense? but this is what happens to Amanda Jaffe's client. It will take all her energy and cleverness to finally understand what happened. I don't think you can guess. I didn't.
Eric
Apr 06, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-thriller
Nice weekend read. Perfect if you want to read an episode of Law & Order instead of watching one on TV. Margolin has done a nice job evolving Amanda Jaffe as a character but the storyline could use some secondary character development. Amanda's father, DA love interest and investigator Kate never seem to change from book to book.
Jim
Nov 03, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Margolin crafts readable tales, no question. Without spoiling things, I didn't buy into the ending, maybe because some actions were out of character with the information the reader is given which is a s big a hint as I want to give. A good beach read to take on vacation if mystery is your bent.
Jenness
Oct 14, 2008 Jenness rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of John Grisham, Jay Brandon
Shelves: mystery-lawyer
This is my first Phillip Margolin book. I will certainly read others. I didn't realize until I finished this book he had written others with the Amamda Jaffe character. I didn't realize she was the main character. I listened to this and it held my interest all the way through. Twists and turns throughout with an ending I didn't suspect.
Alicia
Mar 20, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
I really like Philip Margolin and all his books are great. This one was a little slow at first but once it got good, it was hard to put down. At first I couldn't keep all the names straight but once things started tying together it was very easy to figure out. It had a surprise ending which also made it a more memorable story.
Sharon
Sep 25, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Margolin's books. This book is just one more reason why. It updates you on a previously introduced, likable main character, Amanda Jaffe. It has fast-paced action with lots of twists and turns that you never see coming. Margolin keeps you guessing right up until the satisfying conclusion.
  • Deviant Ways
  • Natural Suspect
  • The Dark House
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • Read No Evil
  • Rise Up
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Deadly Eyes
  • Hard Fall
  • Three Jack Reacher Novellas (with bonus Jack Reacher's Rules): Deep Down, Second Son, High Heat, and Jack Reacher's Rules
  • The Mighty Johns and Other Stories
  • Three To Get Deadly
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
  • Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)
  • Project Moses

Amanda Jaffe (5 books)
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)