Start by marking “Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops” as Want to Read:
Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

Offering inspiration for all gardeners, this book features beautiful color photographs and illustrations throughout, and is divided into two parts. Part One looks at why and how to grow particular crops and how to look after them for maximum health. Part Two features more than 100 perennial edibles in detail, both common and unusual, from rhubarb to skirret and Jerusalem a ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by UIT Cambridge Ltd. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creating a Forest Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating a Forest Garden

Start your review of Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
Malte
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is currently the best, most hands-on manual for creating a forest garden. Other books are either too theoretical for people just starting out, have been superseeded or just lack all the beautiful and informative colour pictures that this one sports. Martin Crawford possibly maintains the most interesting, mature forest garden in the temperate climate zone, having been working on it for over 20 years, so his many experiences and experiments are all summarized here. His style is pretty relaxe ...more
Janie
I favor this over his other.

Crawford has a lot of experience. He actually plants and eats this stuff. He has so much land, however, that his methods fail the small-area farmer. He poo-poos folk who are frustrated by comfrey takeover -- but when you have acres at your disposal you're playing a different game. My land is a postage stamp.

Worth reading (especially for ideas of what's particularly tasty) but not great for little-forest growers.
Stephanie Crawford
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, plants
Comprehensive reference on temperate agroecology using no till methods of working with nature to create a sustainable food forest. Examples in the book are based on Martin's forest garden in Devon, UK.
Alyssa
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very informative guide to designing a forest garden from scratch, including massive lists of recommended plants. Plenty of detail, can't wait to someday have my own forest garden, which I will plant/grow relying heavily on this book :)
Lorraine
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

A very interesting book, that seemed to go into enough depth to be of use to both a beginner and the more experienced gardener. It has lots of detail on individual plants and the tables of plants and information such as month of use etc will be invaluable for reference.
Mitja Senekovic
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to create your own forest garden then this is essential reading. With this book, I've upgraded my knowledge of horticulture.
Remi van Beekum
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Can't wait to start planting trees!
Pupak Haghighi
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A good guide to start a forest garden project.
Adam
I got this through ILL, hoping to get some idea of what forest gardening actually was, how it compared to the vague idea I got of the "permaculture" concept from perusing Dave Holmgren's Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability, and what the state of the art was at the moment. I was also thinking of using it to inform a feasibility study assignment for a class I didn't end up taking, regarding a potential garden at Lawrence's Bjorklunden 'campus.' I don't have time to actually ...more
North Devon
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We are planning a forest garden, and had already read and enjoyed Patrick Whitefield's How To Make A Forest Garden.

We then went to visit Martin Crawford's site and were blown away by seeing the reality of a Forest Garden in full production. We bought a copy of Martin's book from him after the tour, and barely a week has gone by in the year or so since purchase, that we haven't referred to it - it is truly a bible of Forest Gardening, an immense reference book to be picked up again and again.

We h
Ladyemero
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
What I love about this book is it's accessibility and warmth. I'm new to permaculture and forest gardening and got this book as a birthday present from my dad.
I just love all the descriptions of the plants, trees and shrubs.I also learning about how to plant various shrubs and fruit trees, Working on design using permaculture principles, learning about grafting, perennial ground cover, use of windbreaks(helpful as it's a tad windy where I live)
I like to dip into this book, a lot and use it as a
Anna
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you're just starting out, Creating a Forest Garden is the best book to plan your forest garden with. It simplifies the ideas behind forest gardening and is based on the author's 15+ years of hands-on experiences in his own forest garden.

I docked a star because so much of the book is species lists, which are problematic for beginners. First, they get folks too excited! Second, each species' use is very location-specific, so the information in the book might not be accurate.

Since we've been exp
Meredith
A comprehensive encyclopedia on designing and growing a forest garden...A garden that resembles a woodland and is peopled with edible plants (for the most part not vegetables) shrubs, and trees, as well as plants that provide soap, ink, basket weaving materials, dye, etc.

Has, as far as I can see, every thing you'd need to know to set up this sort of garden, including discussions of planning for wind, sun, shade, space, nitrogen and potassium levels required or output by different plants, etc.

As
Peter
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it

This is cutting edge.
The ideas contained herein, which will become increasingly popular in coming years are basically the theory for organic, productive ecological garden design and management.
They are not new but are the brainchild of Robert Hart, who gardened this way from the 1970's onward in Shropshire, the English Midlands, with the additional work of Ken Fern amongst others.
There aren't many books currently available on this subject, which raises this to the status of core text
Electric-guitar
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely
Recommended to Electric-guitar by: Myself
Shelves: garden
Purchased this book after I borrowed a library copy. I really loved the books layout style. Clear to understand. Lots of useful information. Great resource of how one would go about creating your very won forest garden.

I certainly hope to get a nice plot of land some time in the future. This book will be the accompanying the process.
Sara
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From an English gardener, so the extensive reference section on plants is not much help. I LOVE this idea and want to know MORE, MORE, MORE about it! We should plant native plants that are happy and tough and create a garden that essentially takes care of itself. I'd like to see a tidier version though.
Ashleigh
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a resource! Hopefully someday I'll actually have the space to revisit this book and put some of the advice to use. I still really enjoyed reading about the design elements of intentional forestry for food production and all of the notes on plants familiar and obscure. There are many new things I'll be on the lookout for at the farmers markets.
Sara
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While we unfortunately don't have the space for a forest garden, this was very informative and very interesting, with a ton of awesome pictures. Found a few new plants to try out anyways, and it's always nice to dream a bit...
Marijan
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have read on the subject so far. Comprehensive, concrete and down-to-earth. Everything you need to know in order to create your own food forest. At least in UK, although it's fairly applicable to other parts of Europe.
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Crawford is in the temperate climate of the UK so some of plant species choices wouldn't work for me here in MN. But still, this is a very readable and thorough look at establishing and maintaining a forest garden.
Anastasia
The best "to the point" and step by step books about creating your own foodforest in colder climate
Saiisha
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I'm in the middle of making my own "Forest Garden", and Martin is a perfect guide - knowledgeable, authentic, interesting. And the pictures are very helpful.
Kim
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fabulous book but unfortunately for written for the UK. Very informative and easy to understand.
Ruth Feathers
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very informative, but not really practical for an urban environment unless using vacant lots.
Diane
A very good introduction to forest gardening; however, it is a UK-based book, so the plant recommendations that take up a lot of the book do not work for me in SD. Lots of good information, though.
Mary
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Always exciting to find a gardening book relevant to your climate. Lots of pictures and plant descriptions and tables for useful plants.
DARLENE PRICE
Marc Hemmes
Sep 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Wilding
  • The Food Forest Handbook: Design and Manage a Home-Scale Perennial Polyculture Garden
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Second Nature: A Gardener's Education