Start by marking “God's Smuggler” as Want to Read:
God's Smuggler

God's Smuggler

Brother Andrew's story is fraught with danger as he starts out on his mission to bring Bibles to Christians cut off from their religion.
Published May 15th 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about God's Smuggler, please sign up.
Stacy Here's what the back cover says...
Here's what the back cover says...
"As a boy Brother Andrew dreamed of being an undercover spy working behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself working undercover for God. His was a mission filled with danger, financed by faith and supported by miracles.

In this expanded edition, Brother Andrew's electrifying real-life story of smuggling Bibles into the most dangerous places on earth will grip readers all over again and inspire a new generation to step out on their own journeys of faith. Plus, a brand-new interview with Brother Andrew reveals behind-the-scenes information and fascinating insights into current events that are riveting the world.

Sixty years after his first perilous trip, Brother Andrew's legacy continues, making him one of the all-time heroes of the faith. This harrowing account of his narrow escapes and amazing adventures will bring you to the edge of your seat--and to a bold new level of faith."(less)

Sarah Grace Grzy
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 14+ for mature themes
Wow. Wow. Wow. This book, ya'll. I just can't even tell you how faith-strengthening, inspiring, adventuresome, and just down-right fun and encouraging this was! Simply amazing! Very highly recommended! Every Christian needs to read this! And even if your not into non-fiction, this is still a great book! At times I had to remind myself that is *was* non-fiction. Go find a copy of this!
Mark
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my early days of walking with Christ, it seemed every Christian was recommending this book. Thirty years later, I've finally read it. All I can say is: What took me so long?

There have been several books throughout my journey with the Lord that have impacted me so profoundly that I now view the reading of them as milestones in my life. This book may now top the list.

In "God's Smuggler," Brother Andrew tells his own story of smuggling Bibles to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. When he first
Joey T
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing true story that goes to show what complete faith in God can do! I was amazed at how many times God supplied al of the needs! A great reminder that “all things work together for good for those who love God.”
Age rec: 13+
Happy reading!
Natalie Vellacott
This is a classic missionary biography. I just re-read it. I had forgotten that Brother Andrew includes his own personal testimony in the earlier chapters of the book. It's really a great story from angry, drunk, suicidal and anti-God to Christian. God placed people in Andrew's life at key points and I'm sure these people were faithfully praying for him.

The Bible smuggling part of the book is incredible and a reminder that God was and is at work to bring His Word to the unreached. Many times Br
Mike (the Paladin)
Written in 1967 I've heard about this book for a long time and always "meant to get around to it". Well based on a recommendation here that reminded me of it I finally got it (after 46 years) and it was well worth the read.

First off this is a Christian read, know that going in. While it has value as a read about the Cold War era it is told from the point of view of a Christian missionary (and those involved with him.

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Addy S.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
A beautiful story of one man's perseverance and faith in the Lord. Highly reccomend this book! It was so incredible to see how God worked in Brother Andrew's life, and how He always provided for him and his family. I always enjoy reading an autobiography because you can always connect with the writer more than you can when reading a biography. I would reccomend it for ages 12+ because Brother Andrew, although unharmed, does get in many dangerous situations.

5 stars because it deserves no less. :
Jason Mccool
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Pat McCool
My mom gave me this book in college back in 1995, and for some reason, I waited until last week to read it. Finishing it today, I am dumbfounded that I waited so long to read it. I had apparently started reading it back in 2008, judging from a bookmark left in it, but for some reason, never got more than a few pages into it. This time, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it while brushing my teeth, while eating my cereal, while waiting at stop lights. From Brother Andrew's childhood in Nazi-oc ...more
Victoria Lynn
Just. . . every Christian needs to read this.
Amanda Tero
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is an amazing book! There are really no words to describe it other than Brother Andrew simply living in obedience to God. But how encouraging and faith-building it is to follow years of his ministry! Some people think of doing grand things for Christ, but often, Brother Andrew was just THERE...giving hope to the persecuted Christians that there is someone else in the body praying for them. Reading this book will raise your awareness of persecuted Christians and the struggles they face. ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
Faith. This entire book is a complete exercise in utter faith. I am in
awe.

This is really one of the best books I've ever read, and I think I will now read everything else that he's written. I think every Christian (oh, well non-Christians too, if they would) should read this.

It's also side-splittingly hilarious. Really. And it also takes place partly in Holland. You have no excuse, so go go.
Jaimie Engle
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far the BEST non-fiction book I have ever read. It made me reconsider the degree that I believe in miracles. I love God, and always have, but this book showed me how small of a box in which I keep my God. A great read for anyone who is questioning where God is or if he still hears us.
Rachel Schultz
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One clear message, the copies of Bibles in our hands were hard won by suffering and sacrifice. And it is worthy of it all.

I can’t think about that first chapter, precious in so many ways, without crying, especially for dear dear Bas.
Amanda Moore
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was terrific! I haven’t been this inspired since I don’t know when. To witness his, and others absolute confidence in God’s provision, risking their very lives for fellow Christians who are persecuted and oppressed and not truly free to worship, puts my trivial complaints and superficial material wants in perspective. Brother Andrew and his wife, Corrie, are shining examples of trusting and walking with our Lord.
Hilary
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brother Andrew is by his own admission a very ordinary man. Born in a small village in Sint Pancras, the Netherlands, from an early age he was like many children, dreaming about grand adventures. He's the son of the village blacksmith, living in poverty exacerbated by WWII, who joined the armed forces to find those adventures; although that didn't work out, God planted a seed within him, a seed which grew into the Open Doors ministry. Brother Andrew was born, a man who smuggled Bibles behind the ...more
Mike (the Paladin)

Now for you who have a knee-jerk bad reaction to the word missionary I can only
Leah Good
I have heard about this book for most of my life and, while I didn't doubt the quality of the content, I expected it to be hard to read. After deciding to tackle it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easy to read and extremely engaging. Funny stories throughout the book made me laugh and peoples poignant desire for God's word brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. Written in a style similar to The Hiding Place: 25th Anniversary Edition, I highly recommend this powerful story ...more
Blessing Counter
Ok, this book is AWESOME. All the ways God worked through Brother Andrew's life was just - amazing! And the writing is not one single bit boring either, like I miiiggghhhtt have expected it to be ;)
Taija
Such a fast paced and quick read for me! Also, I take my bible for granted...
Becky Pliego
So very good. My dd and I loved listening to this and were challenged in many unexpected ways. This book will help you love your Bible more and pray -for specifics- more and more frequently.
Abigail Prigge
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"God's Smuggler" is an inspiring story of missions. I'm encouraged to have more faith in God and to treasure the precious Word of God that I often take for granted. I really enjoyed the first few chapters about Brother Andrew's personal testimony and then later, the glimpses behind the Iron Curtain. God is SO BIG and we can always trust Him.

Some favorite quotes:

"...I could hardly wait to tell Corrie what God had done with the thimbleful of willingness we had offered Him."

"'Why are we worried!' R
Micaiah
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Original review:

Awesome! The best biography I've ever read, I think, or at least one of them! Inspiring. I am now a fan of Brother Andrew.

Updated Review:

Rating: 5 big stars!

God's Smuggler has to be one of my favorite biographies - of all time. It inspired my faith and touched my heart. It was exciting, informative, and just plain amazing!

When I first heard that my mom wanted me to read this, I was a little upset (haha! Yes, unfortunately). I thought that God's Smuggler would be boring and I wou
Jasmine Wheeler
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omigosh! I loved this book so much! This is the story of a missionary, called Brother Andrew, who smuggles Bibles behind the border of the Soviet Union! It was so thrilling; the accounts of guards nearly finding the Bibles and missing them by a hair sometimes, this book will give you the thrill of a spy novel without the romantic scenes.
Brian Eshleman
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was stellar. Even though the Communist domination of Eastern Europe seems hard to remember, the battle of a motivated man against a state hostile to his faith was captivating. God was the Star, and His work in Brother Andrew was motivating to follow more closely with what He is doing now.
Katrina
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story of an ordinary guy who answered the call to live an extraordinary life trusting God.
Sarah Morgan
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of God's faithfulness in this incredible man's life. Definitely a great read!
Krista
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t feel like I can give a book with this content anything less than five stars. I have been very encouraged in the faith by reading the testimony of how our God works. Definitely will revisit this one.

In addition, I have been educated in communist and post WW2 Europe. I now know how little I know about what all went on over there!
momma.hailey
This is a fantastic book about trusting God implicitly and serving him faithfully. This is a recommended Ambleside Y6 Free Read and I’m happy I read it with my 12 year old daughter. We both marveled at God’s provision for Brother Andrew and we’re equally inspired in our own faith.
Amanda
NOTE: I originally read this book in a different edition called The Narrow Road in 2012, and wrote the review in 2013. I realized a while back that this is the actual book, and I'm finally getting around to moving my review since I just re-read this last week (last week of July 2015).

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I'm giving it the incredible status of Best Homeschool Literature Book Ever. Which is saying a lot, since I've read countless books in the ten years I've been homeschooled. I read this one just last
D.I. Telbat
I do not often say that something has changed my life, but the nonfiction book God's Smuggler has changed my life. The man called Brother Andrew (name changed for safety) who lived in Holland before and during the Iron Curtain years, impacted Europe with his faithfulness like no other person I'm aware of.

John and Elizabeth Sherrill's dedication to this carefully written and inspiring story touched my own faith-nerve--to live more by faith from day to day. Brother Andrew's openness to sacrifice
Nick
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful book!

Adventures in Soviet Europe, communist China, and around other parts of the world! A roguish Dutch boy named Andrew runs from God only to become a risk taker for God's Kingdom by smuggling Bibles and other materials to Christians behind the Iron and Bamboo curtains. I couldn't put it down.

Sometimes a book just hits you at the right time. Back in 2003 a dear friend gave this to me in order to encourage me that God would use me in His timing. Sadly, I delayed reading the bo

• Peace Child: An unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Teaching in the 20th Century
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Tortured for Christ
  • Run Baby Run
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • End of the Spear
  • Jungle Pilot
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • No Compromise
Andrew van der Bijl (born 11 May 1928 in Sint Pancras, Netherlands), known in English-speaking countries as Brother Andrew, is a Christian missionary famous for his exploits smuggling Bibles to communist countries in the height of the Cold War, a feat that has earned him the nickname "God's smuggler". Brother Andrew studied at the WEC Missionary Training College in Glasgow, Scotland. Brother Andre ...more
“The bigger the darkness, the easier it is to spot your little light.” 29 likes