Start by marking “Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)” as Want to Read:
Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)

Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion #11)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  718 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The founders of modern literary fancy deserve their own place in the light. The Borealis Legends line is a tribute to the creators of the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres as we know them today.This 11th volume of The Eternal Champion series is dedicated to the most popular incarnation of the Champion: the doomed emperor Elric of Melnibone. In order to achieve his ...more
Published by White Wolf Games Studio

To ask other readers questions about Elric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric

Randolph Carter
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first thing you need to do when writing a Michael Moorcock sword and sorcery novella is divide your 60,000 words into four sections, 15,000 words apiece. Then divide each section into six chapters. Allow a major event to happen, something astonishing, every four pages. How about a plot? How about we have only six days to save the Multiverse? Now draw a map of your world so you know where you are at any given time. Now begin...

Sounds easy, right? Well, maybe for Moorcock. Seriously the major
This, combined with Elric: The Song of the Black Sword, is just one of many ways to read the core books of the Elric saga. These two omnibuses were published by White Wolf, Inc. in the 1990's. "White Wolf" is actually named after Elric himself, as it turns out, that being one of his many nicknames.

This particular volume includes these Elric books:

#4, The Sleeping Sorceress, aka The Vanishing Tower
#9, The Revenge of the Rose
#5, The Bane of the Black Sword
#6, Stormbringer.

Books #1-3 and #8 are fo
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Parts of this book actually appeared in the volume entitled "The Weird of the White Wolf." This is, I believe, an earlier version of that material.
Joel Mitchell
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
There are multiple editions of Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melniboné" story cycle. This particular anthology is the continuation and conclusion of the cycle as begun in Elric: Song of the Black Sword (aka volumes 5 and 11 of the American version of the Tale of the Eternal Champion series). This volume features Elric dealing with the aftermath of his act of anger and vengeance at the heart of the previous volume (see first comment for what that act was if you don't mind a spoiler from the previo ...more
May 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly re-read this because it was a freebie ebook.

As I recollected, but it reinforced, many of the tragic-anti-hero aspects of the stories (and their anarchist bent) remained but what I had thought was merely average writing seemed much poorer here.

The Elric/fantasy novels were always wildly signposted and somewhat transparent (in this book, which is a compendium of magazine shorts and letters-to-skim-through, it is even more obvious, if explainable).

There is little feeling of suspense, there i
Paco Paco
Sep 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I obtained this book for free on my Amazon Kindle. The format was slightly confusing on the Kindle, as the book was interspersed with history from the publishing of the original Elric saga in the Fantasy zines back in the 60's.

As a story, I see it as a sark and harsh version of the reluctant universal hero who must sacrifice himself for the good of all. It is hard to truly identify with the hero, or any of the characters, it reads more like a heroic saga with names and places and little emotion.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
The first of four volumes republishing the stories of Elric in the order of their publication rather than a chronilogical order - which I think is what was attempted in the novelizations from the '70s that I read the first time (starting with Elric of Melnibone and ending with Stormbringer).
Most interesting, I thought, about this edition is the additional materials that were included. Two of them are explanitory letters written at the same time as the stories, roughly. Seeing them in the publish
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
• Overall, I feel this was a good summary of the Elric character. I was a little irritated that there were some stories in this book that had been in the previous Elric book, but I understand why he put them in. Some of the extras like the letters and the review of Stormbringer were somewhat interesting. When I was reading those I got the feeling that this is something that Moorcock is incredibly proud of. He should be proud of it as Elric is a great character. It does seem that Moorcock believe ...more
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
The stories in this collection are mostly very good, some of them classics of the fantasy genre. The collection as a whole, however, is a bit awkward as it is arranged "chronologically" in order the full history of Elric as opposed to order of publication. There are wild shifts in style and tone from story to story and it doesn't have the cohesiveness that the editors were probably hoping for. In fact, the White Wolf editions have been out of print for some years. Del Rey currently has the right ...more
February Four
Nov 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish. I got to page 79 out of 493 (so my e-book reader tells me). Clunky prose that I just could not handle. A large part of those 79 pages were Michael Moorcock talking about how Elric had affected so many people's lives. Perhaps this is a book that requires one actually read the other books first (official fanfiction?) because I just couldn't bring myself to continue with this book after those 79 pages.
Elric has its moments, but it lacks that extra layer of humour and lightness found in Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

So very emo. I guess the issue is that the promised decadence never really went beyond the conventional and I never fully bought the soul sucking sword.

Still worth reading, though.
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm re-reading the Elric stories for the 1st time since my teenage years. The stories to my surprise hold up nicely. Plus, for me, they are bringing back a lot of pleasant memories.

I love these stories. They are in a class by themselves.

If you have any love at all for "sword and sorcery" fiction & haven't read these, you have to add them to your list.
Christian Herro
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this and its White Wolf published companion omnibus. Little more to say in this review, but as the second part of the Elric saga, Moorcock's writing tends to get stronger as his style developed and he pieced together his mythos. There are still the heavy (and enjoyable) whiffs of pulp fiction, but it never becomes cloying or overdone.
Frank Roberts
Actually didn't read this all the way through. Dropped it about halfway in.

It was easy to see the Elric stories as D&D style adventures, but if so, then the campaign arc never became clear to me, and the stories just became a series of self-contained narratives, with no larger arc and sometimes no clear flow from one to another. Too much Deus ex machina involved as well.
Heather Perreault
This compendieum of truly pulp fantasy fiction stories was a Kindle freebie, so I decided to read what is considered by some to be one of the original works of modern sword and sorcery (from the 60's or so). Very interesting to get a little historical perspective on the genre, and I enjoyed the stories for what they were - nothing very substantial, but a fun read.
Jan 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf
What The Hell???? Prepubescent boy books for those who's b**** are on the verge of dropping, but havent's yet.Too far from me in gender, generation, and style for me to even be close to understanding, let alone liking. Like reading olde english, as far as I am concerned. At least I gave it a go.
Melek Yılmaz
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok beklentim yüksekti ama kitapta bir tatsızlık vardı. Bunu yorumda uzunca anlatacağım zaten, yine de dört puan verdim ve gerçekten harikaydı ama beklentimi sanki yüz yıldızlık bir kitap elimdeymiş gibi tutmuştum.
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michael-moorcock
The Elric Saga part 2.
David Hunter
This is my "no one will talk to me at the pub" book to read on my iPhone while I enjoy a beer on the patio.
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage boys, rabid fans of the movie Heavy Metal
Recommended to Jenn by: NY Times book review
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I read this after Dancers at the End of Time, thank goodness. Dancers is amazing. Elric not so much. Mildly entertaining and a little sexist, at best.
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another ebook offered free by Harper-Collins as the start of a series. This book was so bad, I just couldn't finish it. Needless to say, I was disappointed in this novel.
The Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock (1973)
Apr 25, 2016 added it
Elric still dies. Every time I read it he dies. WHY? WHY? WHY? Oh right. Big bad evil black sword
Marked as read to get it off my "currently reading" list - may finish one day.
Feb 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Could not finish this book - it surprises me that it was even published.
May 01, 2008
Katerina Vernadou
Jan 28, 2016
Slade Jokela
Oct 24, 2016
Jun 06, 2011
May 12, 2012
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • The Ruby Throne (Michael Moorcock's Elric, #1)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • The Door to Saturn
  • The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath: A Graphic Novel
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Hell Kat
  • Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #1-3)
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Weapons of Choice (Axis of Time, #1)
  • Return to Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5-6)
  • Paradox
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Changelings
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Eternal Champion (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)
  • Elric: Song of the Black Sword (Eternal Champion, #5)
  • The Roads Between the Worlds (Eternal Champion, #6)
  • Corum: The Coming of Chaos (Eternal Champion, #7)
  • Sailing to Utopia (Eternal Champion, #8)
  • Kane of Old Mars (Eternal Champion, #9)
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“I think of myself as a bad writer with big ideas, but I'd rather be that than a big writer with bad ideas.” 139 likes
“We must be bound to one another then," Elric murmured despairingly. "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then—let it be thus so—and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind—produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!” 17 likes