Start by marking “Learning Chinese Characters” as Want to Read:
Learning Chinese Characters

Learning Chinese Characters

This user—friendly book is aimed at helping students of Mandarin Chinese learn and remember Chinese characters.

At last—there is a truly effective and enjoyable way to learn Chinese characters! This book helps students to learn and remember both the meanings and the pronunciations of over 800 characters. This otherwise daunting task is made easier by the use of techniques b
Published August 15th 2007 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Learning Chinese Characters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning Chinese Characters

Angela
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learning 3-5 characters per day...not expecting to become fluent, but would like to be able to recognize a bit of the writing while I'm there, while gaining an appreciation of the language. I really like the fact that this book speaks to my visual learning preference, as well as creating a mnemonic story for most characters. So far, groovy.
Jane Lowy
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Great idea for a foreign language book! I was able to learn to recognize and even approximately pronounce a lot of Chinese characters using the authors' method of visualizing stories reprsenting the character fragments. I found it a bit trying however, when they left out the pictures or had "do it yourself" pronunciations, though I could see their point that I was supposed to learn to create my own mental pictures - and, of course, not all sounds translate. Still, I couldn't help feeling somewha ...more
Helmut
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: china
Vom Riesentarzan und dem weinschnorrenden Zwerg

Ein freundlicher Polzist läuft jeden Abend am Hafen entlang. Er grüßt die vielen Pärchen, die er trifft, mit einem freundlichen "Abend, abend!". Sogar den Geisterriesen, der den Dom am Ende des Piers bewacht.

Kaum zu glauben, dass sich mit dieser Geschichte sowohl die Zusammensetzung als auch die Aussprache und Bedeutung eines chinesischen Zeichens lernen (und vor allem auch behalten!) lässt. Es funktioniert aber! Auch ich war diesen mnemotechnischen
Van
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st review: I came across this book in the library. So far it does help me retain the characters' meanings longer than other self-learn books. I strongly recommend this book for those who want to learn Chinese for reading and writing. This book combined with a grammar book and some Chinese learning app is perfect. For those who want to learn conversational Chinese only, as you can see the title does not for you. I love this book's ideas.

2nd review: my first review is a bit abstract. Im still usi
Skeetor
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chinese-language
This is the best book I found to learn Chinese characters. At first I was hesitant with the goofy stories they use to teach them, but it works! Do pay close attention to the introduction as it is packed with useful information.
I was sad to learn that there is not going to be a Volume Two...
Crissman Loomis
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Outstanding approach for mnemonics to learn the Chinese characters. Easy and well structured, it builds on itself. Generally I can read about half the Chinese characters I see now, and I have a framework for learning the remainder. A great place to start Mandarin studies.
Vinh Khang Nguyen
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
it is a really long read。 however, I really enjoyed the progress. This is my recommended way to use the book:
1. Everyday study just one chapter.
2. You should have a book to write down all the characters in the chapter.
3. Don't read the story made up in the book, create your own stories then you would be able to retain the memory longer.

The book is super good in arrangements of all the characters from basic to intermediate and how it builds up characters and their building blocks from simple t
Alek Cannan
Jun 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a very elaborate system for learning Chinese characters. I can see that it should work, and that is complexity matches the complexity of the volume of Chinese characters, tones, sounds, and scripts. I read the first few sections of this book on an airplane- uninterrupted time. At that time I found it interesting and compelling. Further reading made it feel a bit cumbersome and difficult. I don't think I recommend this book.
Chuka S
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chinese
enjoyable way to learn Mandarin.
J. Pedersen
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: language-studies
When trying to learn the first 1000 Chinese Characters, this book was a lot better than anything else I found.
Cindy Bornander
Nov 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• New Practical Chinese Reader 1 Textbook
  • Integrated Chinese Level 1/Part 1 Textbook: Simplified Characters
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • Describing Morphosyntax
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • By Hook Or By Crook: A Journey In Search Of English
  • The Loom of Language: An Approach to the Mastery of Many Languages
  • Alpha Beta: How 26 Letters Shaped the Western World
  • Making Out in Japanese: (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Bilingual: Life and Reality
  • Fallingwater Rising: Frank Lloyd Wright, E. J. Kaufmann, and America's Most Extraordinary House
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • The Great Fire of London
  • History of the Ancient Near East
  • The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt
  • Mao Zedong: A Life
  • Voices from S-21: Terror and History in Pol Pot's Secret Prison
Alison Matthews is a statistician who has worked in the oil, aviation, tourism, medical and software industries, and also as a university lecturer. She is co-author with her husband Laurence Matthews of several books; they maintain a joint presence on Goodreads under Laurence's profile.