Start by marking “Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventure with 46 Recipes” as Want to Read:
Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventure with 46 Recipes

Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventure with 46 Recipes

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Chez Panisse is a restaurant in Berkeley, California, run by Alice Waters and her large group of friends. Her daughter Fanny's stories of this busy place are a friendly and funny introduction to the delights of real restaurant life, and her recipes show how easy and inexpensive it is to make good food with basic ingredients and simple techniques. Opening up the magic world ...more
Published November 10th 1992 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fanny at Chez Panisse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fanny at Chez Panisse

Tryn
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cookbook written from the perspective of a little girl who grows up in and around her mother's famous restaurant. The illustrations are charming and the descriptions of restaurant life revealing. I'm fascinated with the author, mother, restaurant owner, and all-around foodie, Alice Waters. The recipes she included here are simple (salsa), seasonal (blackberry ice-cream), nutritious (cucumber riata), sometimes unusual (candied orange peel), traditional (chicken stock), often kid-friendl ...more
Charming, beautiful, elegant and magical. Yes a bit preachy, and no child is probably going to start making their own "Halibut Baked On a Fig Leaf" instead of asking for Kraft Mac n' Cheese.
Meg Winslow
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My (then) 8 year old loved this book. My daughter loves to cook and it was nice for her to have something to read that wasn't just-a-cookbook or a younger child's simplified picture book about food.
Heather
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
beautiful book about food with amazing descriptions for kids (and adults!)
My favorite description is at the end:
"Everyone is eating with his hands, and dessert is served wheever you want it. All my friends are there, and we're eating corn on the cob and salad and tomatoes with aioli and potatoes with ailoi and watermelon-lime juice and pizzas and green beans and garlic bread and warm tortillas with butter and passion fruits (my favorite) and little tangerines and strawberry ice on a stick and, j
Diana
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, childrens
I love this cookbook! Charming drawings, a story and simple yet yummy recipes, some of which I've prepared with children during cooking classes at our local community garden. The recipes in this cookbook are also appropriate for adults. Check it out from your library and be wowed.

Recipes include:
Carrot and parsley soup
Pasta with garlic and parsley
Peach crisp
Blackberry ice cream
Calzones
Halibut baked on a fig leaf
1-2-3-4 cake
Grace
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
There is some local foodie proselytizing, as you would expect with any book written by Alice Waters. But the illustrations and stories are charming.

It is a good companion to Marion Cunningham's book for children. MC teaches the mechanics and food science. AW teaches about food as part of an ecosystem and social network. AW also includes more vegetable dishes, but those veggies may not be available if you live outside of Berkeley or some other foodie haven.
Helen
I discovered this book in the nineties. I was never remotely a cook. This book, geared for children, taught me more than anything I have ever learned elsewhere. I had no idea who Alice Waters was (Fanny's mother) but this single book led me to many wonderful discoveries. I still refer to this cookbook many times.
Astrid Virili
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chez Panisse �� un ristorante di Berkeley (California) famoso perch�� la titolare Alice Waters ha riscoperto la cucina con prodotti biologici e locali. Fanny �� la figlia, che in questo libretto deliziosamente illustrato racconta le sue avventure insieme alla madre nel ristorante (in realt�� �� la madre che scrive ma insomma, avete capito). Davvero carino, inoltre ci sono 46 ricette.
Tracy O
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children & Their Parents and Those with a Sweet Appreciaton of Life
Recommended to Tracy O by: Liz gave this to me in 1992
Shelves: kidsbooks, cook-books
This book really is a cookbook for children with wonderful, wonderful illustrations and stories. So, if you want to make guacamole, pasta or pizza you are in the right place. Or, if you just like sweet stories and beautiful pictures this is a nice stop-off place. If you want any Chez Panisse-worthy cooking tips you will have missed your mark with this particular book.
Jana
Nov 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not quite a recipe book, not quite a children's book, not quite an adult book. The illustrations are nice. I LOVE what Alice Waters stands for, but she can come across as preachy. She did so here.
  • Chez Panisse Cooking
  • Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up
  • The Savory Way
  • Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living
  • The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Alice Waters and Chez Panisse: The Romantic, Impractical, Often Eccentric, Ultimately Brilliant Making of a Food Revolution
  • India: The Cookbook
  • Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate
  • Room for Dessert: 110 Recipes for Cakes, Custards, Souffles, Tarts, Pies, Cobblers, Sorbets, Sherbets, Ice Creams, Cookies, Candies, and Cordials
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • In The Charcuterie: The Fatted Calf's Guide to Making Sausage, Salumi, Pates, Roasts, Confits, and Other Meaty Goods
  • I Know How to Cook
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • Bread Alone: Bold Fresh Loaves from Your Own Hands
Alice Waters is a chef, author, food activist, and the founder and owner of Chez Panisse Restaurant in Berkeley, California. She has been a champion of local sustainable agriculture for over four decades. In 1995 she founded the Edible Schoolyard Project, which advocates for a free school lunch for all children and a sustainable food curriculum in every public school.

She has been Vice President of
More about Alice Waters...