Start by marking “To Be Near Unto God” as Want to Read:
To Be Near Unto God

To Be Near Unto God

This devotional classic offers 110 meditations on a single thought from Psalm 73: "As for me, it is good to be near to God." The author states, "The fellowship of being near unto God must become reality . . . it must permeate and give color to our feeling, our perceptions, our sensations, our thinking, our imagining, our willing, our acting, our speaking. It must not stand ...more
Published May 6th 2005 by Regent College Publishing (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about To Be Near Unto God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be Near Unto God

Start your review of To Be Near Unto God
Brent McCulley
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, theology
Given to me by a dear friend for my birthday this year before he left for Princeton Seminary, Kuyper's devotional meditations on being near unto God upheld me, sustained me, and nourished me everyday--one meditation at a time--for the past many months. This is a treasure trove of spiritual, practical, and theological wealth that should be cherished. As for me, it is good to be near unto God.
Coyle
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
A bit too long to read straight through (almost 700 pages), but good to use as a devotional.

A few quotes from the book:
-"Nearness unto God here on earth yields its sweetest blessedness when it is cultivated in the face of sin and theworld, as an oasis in the wilderness of life." (24)
-"To dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of our life, means: every morning, noon, and night to be so clearly conscious of our fellowship with the Living God, that our thoughts go out to Him, that we hear the
Brandon Davis
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am not even 100 pages in and even if the remaining 600 are not good at all this book gets 5 stars easy. One of the best devotionals I have ever read.
Christina
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite devotional! Thought provoking and Christ centering.
Douglas Wilson
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This was good. A bit too wordy in places, but a good devotional. Some of the stand-alone thoughts were worth the whole thing.
Steven Tryon
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished this gem this morning. Kuyper began with Psalm 73, "But as for me, it is good to be near to God." He closes the circle with Psalm 42, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God."

I do hope there is beer in heaven. I picture Abraham Kuyper and Thomas Merton sitting in their favorite booth at the Spirit and Spirits Pub at the corner of Love Street and Mercy Avenue, drinking their pints of good Trappist beer, and talking about the love of God. Kuyper and Merto
Neil
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Insightful and compelling. In parts this book was challenging, as the author uncompromisingly applies the truths of God's word. An example is Christ's command to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. The writer breaks each clause down and addresses each, stressing the absolute nature of the command. The zeal and the fertility of the author's mind is palpable.
Luke D
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this monster of a book on and off as a kind-of devotional over the past few months. It's rather wordy in places, but has some WONDERFUL and helpful thoughts on many issues! I think the first few chapters were the best. If you read it, make sure you've got a pencil handy - there's lots of underlining to do...
Bruce Dayman
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is a great book and a wonderful devotional reading. It often reminded me of other devotional books such as My Utmost for His Highest. The important emphasis for this book is knowing God for yourself and having a daily fellowship. I am impressed that Kuyper did this and accomplished so much in his lifetime, perhaps because of it.
Theresa Miller
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love using this as a devotional.
James
May 08, 2013
Maureen Nettuno
Nov 24, 2014
Jack Kooyman
Daily reflections and inspiration from the well known Dutch neo-Calvinist.
Robin
Feb 09, 2020
Alexis Neal
Mar 06, 2015
Lisa W
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2015
Jan King
Mar 19, 2016

• God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • God's Ultimate Purpose: An Exposition of Ephesians 1
  • The Screwtape Letters: Also Includes "Screwtape Proposes a Toast"
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
  • The Consolation of Philosophy
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • Och i Wienerwald står träden kvar
  • Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy
  • Born This Way?: Homosexuality, Science, and the Scriptures
  • American Princess: A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt
  • A Mind Unraveled
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz
  • Into the Lion's Mouth: The True Story of Dusko Popov: World War II Spy, Patriot, and the Real-Life Inspiration for James Bond
  • The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing, and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up
Abraham Kuyper was a Dutch politician, journalist, statesman and theologian. He founded the Anti-Revolutionary Party and was prime minister of the Netherlands between 1901 and 1905.

News & Interviews

“But “To Be Near Unto God” in the midst of busy avocations yields its sweetest blessedness when it is cultivated in the face of sin and the world, as an oasis in the desert of life.” 1 likes
“Though it was not right, and never can be, we understand what went on in the heart of those who sought escape from the world, in cell or hermitage, for the sake of unbroken fellowship with God. It might have been efficacious, if in withdrawing from the world they had been able to leave the world behind. But we carry it in our heart. Wherever we go it goes with us.” 1 likes