Start by marking “Love Letters” as Want to Read:
Love Letters

Love Letters

Here are 200 irresistible love letters from over the centuries, love letters both historic and fictional, love letters by poets and by princes, love letters enchanting, tragic, comic, superbly selected, beautifully printed, conveniently portable, to have with you wherever and whenever you're in the mood for love.
Published January 23rd 1996 by Everyman's Library (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Love Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Letters

WhatIReallyRead
Love Letters - Everyman's Library Pocket Poets

This was such a lovely read!

Love Letters is an anthology of real letters written by classical writers and important historical figures - Robert & Elizabeth Browning, Franz Kafka, King Henry VIII, Mozart, John Keats, Napoleon, Oscar Wilde, Bernard Shaw, Emily Dickinson, Balzac, Pushkin, Musset, etc.

The letters were written from 1690 to 1960's , they are divided into "chapters" according to themes: Invitation, Flirtation, Intoxication, Adoration, Separation, Instruction, Reflection, Confessi
Fathya Zana
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this for the fact that it includes varieties of poetic love expressions from old times
Marianne
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, poetry
4 stars!

While reading this collection I couldn't help but feel a bit naughty, in the sense that I intruding on something so personal and intimate. It was fascinating to read all of these letters; one way or another they all pertained to love but each one could elicit a different reaction or emotion from me. I would giggle, sigh, and even tear up with sadness while reading. There is such a strange and mysterious intimacy from exchanging letters. It mixes the emotional (the thoughts and sentiment
Cara M.
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring
Soo good
Sanjana
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
"You have ravish'd me away by a Power I cannot resist; and yet I could resist till I saw you; and even since I have seen you I have endeavoured often 'to reason against the reasons of my Love'. I can do that no more - the pain would be too great. My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you.
Yours for ever."
John Keats to Fanny Brand, 1819.

"Most Divine -
It is some proof of my sincerity towards you, that I write when I am prepared by drinking to speak the truth; and sure a letter after twelve
Leah Williams
Jul 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is an well-edited, very sweet little book which includes--you guessed it--lots of love letters. They are not, however, love letters of the Hallmark variety, but instead clever, passionate missives from noted literary, artistic and historical figures. There is a memorably profane and flirtatious love note from Mozart to his wife; a sumptuous and elegant letter from Katherine Mansfied to John Middleton Murray; an enjoyably milquetoast yet clearly heartfelt letter from Napoleon to the Empress ...more
Nday Nday
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ah, every night.. I read some affectionate sometimes desperate love letters from those who lived in the past.. From Oscar Wilde to Virginia Woolf and Mozart.. This is a little sweet book to read so far.. And just a little proof how people were so good in words back then.. and how I wish I could receive them.. the confession, the affection, desperation, warning and other complex emotion of a human being in words.. words.. oh.. words..
Mark Lee
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I’m collecting this series and have been reading my way through them slowly. This one is a collection of some 200 or so love letters from historical figures like Queen Victoria, Lord Byron and Katherine Mansfield. Some are wonderful, some funny, some tragic and some quite disturbing to a modern mind.
Keri
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a Christmas gift from my cousin and I loved it! Wonderful love letters from lots of people that were so interesting to read - some were funny, some were naughty, some were sad, some were so lovely and some resonated with me so much. Definitely plan to re-read this one some day.
Caroline
Jun 21, 2015 is currently reading it
some of these letters are four hundred years old... and they prove we were just as delightfully weird back then as we are now.
Claire Whitney

• Poe: Poems
  • Kipling: Poems
  • Eliot: Poems
  • The Love Poems of John Keats: In Praise of Beauty
  • Bronte: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Eugene Onegin and Other Poems
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Hannibal Lecter and Philosophy: The Heart of the Matter
  • Best Sex Writing 2009
  • Resident Alien: The New York Diaries
  • The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)