Start by marking “John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads (Audio CD Included) (The John Denver & Kids Series)” as Want to Read:

Illustrator Christopher Canyon brilliantly adapts John Denver's famous song for children of all ages. By car, by pickup, and by motorcycle, a family goes up, down and around the hills of West Virginia, heading for a family reunion at Grandma and Grandpa's country home.
Published September 1st 2005 by Dawn Pubns

Be the first to ask a question about John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads (Audio CD Included)

Kathryn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, short illustrated book for young readers. John Denver was a favorite of mine and this song was perfect for this adaptation.
Dolly
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently heard a cover of this song while eating lunch at a restaurant and I reminisced about hearing John Denver's original version over and over in my youth. So when I saw this book at my local library, I jumped at the chance to share it with our girls.

It was a fantastic way to share the homey feeling of the song, and now that we live in Virginia (it's much closer to West Virginia than where I grew up), our girls understand the pull of the beautiful country roads and the Shenandoah River.
Jackie316
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! This goes above what you'd expect from an artistic rendition of John's song. The only sad part is that he didn't get to see this while he was alive.

I love the artwork! The people look like they could be John Denver & his family, or my own family.
Peacegal
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars -- Folksy and nostalgic, I loved the illustrations. I also enjoyed that it showed a very diverse collection of people getting together for a family reunion and finding happiness and agreement in music and the beauty of the countryside.
Beverly
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Illustrated somewhat like a quilt.
Stacie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Just a wonderful book. Fabulous family reunion with joyful pictures.
Brittany Williams
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
No Awards
Appropriate grade levels: PreK-K
This book is about going back to the place you know as home. It tells the journey you can go on to get to a certain place. When you get home, you will have loved ones waiting for you!
I think this book is very sweet and cute. The illustrations are amazing and I love the story it tells! It might be a little hard for children to understand because they don't have to travel far to get home.
You could use this book for transitions because it isn't very long.
Steve Holden
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another of Christopher Canyon's books that I proudly own from when he visited our school. This one, of all by John Denver, has a special part in my heart and soul. As a big sports fan, I'm very loyal to the West Virginia basketball team, and this song is about that state and famously is sung loudly after every victory. The illustrations in this book do it justice, and as all the books by Mr. Canyon, you can find the music in the back. It's a great song to play and have your class move around to ...more
Diana Turnbull
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
1. Awards the book has received (if any): No awards received.
2. Appropriate grade level(s): Kindergarten-2nd grade
3. Original summary: An enthralling adaption to the song made famous by John Denver, this story displays all the fun of country life. It includes colorful and funny illustrations. This book is informational about the culture in West Virginia and the landscapes, animals, and other sights there.
4. Original review: This is an exciting way to incorporate music with text and cultural awar
Smeadster smead
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this story is a good story travel with!!!!!!!!I once had John Denver come to my school!!!!:)I really liked him!He was really nice and he showed us how he made his stories!He is very talented!!!!!When he came to our school he was selling his books and autographing them!!!!!!!I recomend all of his books that are on my book list!!!!!:)Well thanks for reading!He is coming to my school again!!!:)
Lyndsay
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Because of this book, now I have this song stuck in my head. The same illustrator and author has done all of these John Denver picture books, but honestly you almost wouldn't know it. Each book's illustrations are so different and so fantastic you would swear it was a different person each time. I love it.
Meg McGregor
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved John Denver and I am so glad that I can share this song with the little ones I nanny.

This song is all about a family reunion and the roads they different family members take to get there.

For added delight, play the song by John Denver while showing the book to your little ones!
Ashley Hutto
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am planning on reading this sweet little book for a music and movement class I have planned next week. The illustrations are beautiful, set to the words of John Denver's classic song. I love, love, love the feeling of home and family and country it incites. Great as an introduction to John Denver, even for the small ones!
 Mummy Cat Claire
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This is a way cute children's book. We borrowed this from the library. It comes with a CD of the song, sung by Denver. The illustration is amazing. So much is going on in each picture that you can stare at them for days. My kids like to hear the music and follow the book. Sometimes they even play the CD just to hear it.
Beck
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
I bought the John Denver "series" so far for a friend of mine who's having a baby. We LOVE John Denver's music, and if you're a fan - your kid MUST have these books. They're really well illustrated and come with a CD of John singing whichever song is the words to the book.... neat stuff.
Stacy  Natal
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dante's preschool class gave us this book when we were moving out of West Virginia. We played the Cd as we pulled out of our driveway (never to return) and we bawled our eyes out listening to it. Still reminds me of the beauty of the place every time we pull it out to reread it.
Meadow
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
The kid LOVES this book. It has the sheet music in the back and she "played" it on the piano plus we have listened to the included CD over and over again.

The pictures are well done and it really isn't that bad. Plus, you can see the story, and that is always fun.
Kim
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
fun book with great illustrations and a cd of the song
Teri
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-sing
This is always a nice change--a true radio hit in a picture book. I didn't know this song won 1 of 10 Best Country Songs of the Century in 1999.
Susan
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my daughter, but I have to admit partially for me too! The illustrations are beautiful. This reminds me why I love my home state of West Virginia.
Quan Legend
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
nice book about country life
Paula
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
A picture book adaptation of John Denver's song Take me home, country roads, which celebrates the experience of arriving home to the countryside of West Virginia.
Melanie
Another beautifully illustrated John Denver song. Christopher Canyon's illustrations really encourage kids to examine the pictures closely.
Lisa Hechesky
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children, parents, teachers
An interesting adaptation of the song Take me home, country roads.
Color and funny illustrations. Good for teaching children the song and a little about West Virginia.
Corinna
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whimsical, amazing artwork. Taking an old favorite and adding something new can be a challenge. Christopher Canyon has pulled it off with me damage to the original song.
Conquering Dinner
I love to be able to share great music with my children in a different way that helps to bring it to life.
Jul 21, 2012
Jenni M
May 11, 2014
kathy
Dec 22, 2011
Warren Rosario
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Denver, born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr., was an American folk singer-songwriter and folk rock musician who was one of the most popular artists of the 1970s. He recorded and released some 300 songs, about half of which he had composed, and was named Poet Laureate of Colorado in 1977.

Denver's songs were suffused with a deep and abiding love of the natural world. Songs such as "Take Me Home,