Start by marking “Twilight of the Abyss” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When Elizabeth and Darcy meet in Hertfordshire, insults are avoided and they fall in love together. However, when Darcy's family experiences a scandal, he is forced to choose between love and honour. A "Pride and Prejudice" variation, Twilight of the Abyss explores an alternative path for Jane Austen's beloved novel.
Published April 5th 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Twilight of the Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight of the Abyss

Talia
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The most true romance novel of any JAFF book I have read. Very drama and angst filled. Lots of emotions. Not the most compelling story but well written. I think a lot of people would love this book.

Reread: I am surprised at how much I loved this the first time. With a second reading, that lack of story is most apparent and the love story seems more tarnished. I think I would give it a 4 now.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Duty, Disgrace, and Despair

What if instead of delivering his infamous insult, Darcy requests a dance with Elizabeth Bennet at the Meryton Assembly…

What if instead of sketching Mr. Darcy’s character as arrogant and proud, Elizabeth astutely detects his discomfort in new company and attempts to put him at ease…

What if instead of a barely-civil relationship filled with provoking verbal sparring matches, Darcy and Elizabeth decide early on in their acquaintance to be friends…

Even with an amicable re
Erika
Emotional read

I remember reading this on an Austenesque website in the past so had to purchase it when I saw it was published. I have to say that I was kind of disappointed in the published product. The formatting needed to be fixed badly. That is why I had to drop it a star in my rating.

I loved the story, Elizabeth being so vulnerable it made you tear up for her heart wrenching pain. Darcy so noble yet so caught in doing what is his duty and what is right by his heart, he was as vulnerable as
Elmo
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the general idea of this book, but the execution was lacking in my opinion. I found the flashbacks in the beginning of the book distracting, it jumped up and down the timeline and it made it a bit confusing for me. Because of the flashbacks coming up in the thoughts of Elizabeth, it was more about the feelings than about what exactly had happened and at some point I found Lizzy's desperation becoming a bit tedious. Yes, Lizzy loves Darcy and he won't marry her because he's afraid of the ...more
Charlene
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
In this alternative Darcy and Elizabeth get along right from the start, but there are problems set in motion that prevent them from furhering there relationship. The journey is very sad and full of angst but well worth it. Just have a box of tissues next to you.
Marcie
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I love to read sequels and ‘what if’ stories fans of Jane Austen write. I love to see how other people in vision her characters and see what direction they take them in. Casey Childers does this in her ‘what if’ story, Twilight of the Abyss. What if Darcy wasn’t such a prick in Hertfordshire? What if they fell in love? What if circumstances still kept them a part? These are the questions that are asked and answered in this story.
Overall I liked the story. It kept me wondering what was going to h
Sophia
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book because I enjoy Jane Austen fanfiction. I am even so gauche and disloyal to JA as to not mind too much when an author takes liberties with the characters. This was a 'what if' style telling with Darcy and Elizabeth meeting and falling in love under a different situation from the original. On a spectrum, it was mid-range on changing the characters. The storyline was okay, but I prefer more movement in the plot and a 'love to hate 'em' villain. In this tale, the movement was ...more
Amy
Jan 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
editing??

This book was only ok. Lizzy was not the strong character I like her to be and whined too often. The typing and organization was hideous as many of the sentences and words were mixed around in many spots! I had to try to unscramble the sentences so it made sense. There was no real sense of conflict to overcome.
Nicole
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twilight of the Abyss

Heart wrenching story about the love that developed between Darcy and Elizabeth right from the beginning of their meeting in Hertfordshire at the Meryton Assembly. Instead of making the infamous remake that she tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt him, Darcy takes another look at here, introduces himself, and asks her to dance. By the Netherfield Ball, Darcy realizes that he is in love with Elizabeth, but feeling that she doesn't feel the same leaves Netherfield. He a
Katherine
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good story especially one of Darcy & Elizabeth
WOW! That is all I can say for this novel. I started it today and could not put it down till it was finished. I think of all the Pride & Prejudice variations I have read and this was my favorite! I was so emotionally involved in this story - I wanted to cry when Elizabeth was crying - I wanted to yell at Darcy when you learn quickly in the novel why he made his choice to walk away - And I almost fell apart when I read the scene where Darcy tells Elizabeth why he left Netherfield even though ...more
Susan
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque, epub-s, jaff
In this Pride and Prejudice variation, at the Meryton Assembly the insult by Darcy towards Elizabeth is unsaid, and slowly they fall in love. But they are kept apart by a family scandal. Can Darcy overcome his family's scandal and marry for love and not for the the advancement of his family.
Angie Dokos
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. I liked the story and how everything turned out.
Kim