Start by marking “The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)

The Sea of Adventure

(Adventure #4)

Enid Blyton’s classic adventure series fantastically repackaged for a new generation of readers. When Bill takes Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack on a mysterious trip to the desolate northern isles, everything looks set for an exciting time. But then Bill is kidnapped and the children, marooned far from the mainland, find themselves playing a dangerous game of hide-and-see ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1948)

Julia Tulloh Harper
Not one of her best but lovely nonetheless - kids stranded on a remote Scottish island full to the cliffs with puffins, cormorants and guillemots, as well as smugglers, secret lagoons, hidden coves, kidnappings, escapes, mysterious seaplanes, friendly animals, a talking parrot, and walks through the heather. All with lashings of ginger beer and plenty of tinned fruit and biscuits.
Beth
I've got such a lovely feeling," said Lucy-Ann, looking the picture of happiness. "You know - that feeling you get at the very beginning of a lovely holiday - when all the days spread out before you, sunny and lazy and sort of enchanted."

"You'll end up by being a poet if you don't look out," said Philip from the wheel.

"Well, if a poet feels like I feel just exactly at this moment, I wouldn't mind being one for the rest of my life, even if it meant having to write poetry," said Lucy-Ann.

Oh, Enid.
Josiah
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-in-series
I just really really like this one. Philip, Dinah, Jack, and Lucy-Ann are British children. They are recovering from getting the measles, so they go to islands with lots of birds to help get better. But then, their government agents friend who has taken them to the islands disappears. Their boat is chopped up, and they are stuck on the island. As you can imagine, a lot of action and suspense follows. I think this is the best in the series because it shows how the children can help rescue adults ...more
T.F.
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The fourth book of the series. This one has an exciting start that kind of reminds one of Sherlock Holmes’ Final Problem. Criminals are out to get Bill Cunningham the detective friend of the children Jack, Phillip, Lucy-Ann and Dina. He is trying to move around town under cover and disappear for a few days. After an exciting start, things ease out a bit as the children journey along with their friends the isles in northern Britain. This was the fun part like a travelogue. We get to see puffins. ...more
Rhia (rhiareads...)
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of the Adventure series that I actually didn't read as a child. It was definitely interesting to see how this one differed from the previous three considering I've read those several times in the past and I think I had some preconceived notions of how good they were, but with this one it was all new.

So as in the past, the four children (and Kiki, of course!) manage to get themselves into an improbable amount of trouble, this time while holidaying in some remote Scottish islands with
Samantha
To assist their recovery after contracting measles Jack, Lucy-Ann, Philip, Dinah and Kiki set off with their friend Bill 'Smaugs' (who needs sanctuary too) to the northern isles of Scotland for much needed rest and recuperation. But it isn't long before their carefree ornithological holiday turns into a new adventure.

This is the 4th in the Enid Blyton adventure series which I have thoroughly enjoyed great characters although the bad guys are generally faceless and not developed at all but really
Hitishaa Goyal
THIS WAS AN WONDERFUL BOOK. BILL GOT KIDNAPPED AND THE 4 CHILDREN[ JACK, LUCY-ANN, PHILIP AND DINAH] WERE WORRIED AND TENSED LIKE ANYTHING. THEY USED TO SEARCH AND FINALLY GOT AN IDEA! READ THE BOOK FOR FURTHER DETAILS
Bookworm
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-reads
A neat little mystery set in the lonely waters off the Northern Isles. The plot is not as happening as the rest in the series but I really liked the idea of the children and Bill going off together on a boat trip. Huffin and Puffin are hilarious too. I remember the twinge of sadness when Bill told Lucy-Ann that they couldn't bring the puffins back with them. I also like how plucky the children were. They could have gone back to the mainland safely but they chose to rescue Bill.

"You're only kids
Farseer
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good pre-adventure part, with the children recovering from measles and sent on a holiday to regain their strength before returning to school (yeah, like that's going to happen in real life, but you can't blame kids for dreaming!), Bill visiting in secret while being hunted by criminals (isn't he putting the children and Mrs. Manning in danger?)... good stuff!

The adventure part is fine, but maybe not as exciting as the previous novel (The Valley of Adventure, which is probably my favorite in the
Emma Lai
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Sea of Adventure is very different to the other books in the series that Enid Blyton has written. This adventure is set on sea instead of land, this makes this book special and unique. During the sea of adventure the four children and Bill have a holiday at Puffin Island, but not far behind them an adventure arises where Bill is kidnapped. The four children are left behind and find a way to recuse Bill, but it isn't easy as dangers lay ahead.
Katie Grainger
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am pretty sure that I didn’t read The Sea of Adventure as a child I certainly don’t seem to remember it. This was another fun rip roaring adventure from Enid Blyton. I think as the adventure series goes this is probably a slightly less believable premise. I am looking forward to reading the last four books in the series as I think these will be just as fun.
Anand Warik
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
children leave for northern islands to recover from measles but find themselves in an adventure. The best part is when they are on Puffin island where they find 2 tame puffins who out of sheer love for children catch fishes for them. On this island they sink into a Puffin burrow and take shelter there. Guns are hidden from view in one of the many islands.
Anne Mouse
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun on the islands

The four children, Kiki the parrot, and Bill head to the Isles off Scotland for a break to recover from the measles. Of course it's never that simple as they fall into an adventure involving gun runners. With a pair of tame puffins to keep them company.
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great adventure w/the kids, Kiki & Bill. Huffin & Puffin were adorable & it really was to bad that they couldn't take them home.
Ash
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Old memories. Read it again after many years.
Joanne Hyde
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my daughter after many years of reading it as a child myself and it's very funny how language has changed
Meagan
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Another great installment in Blyton's Adventure series. I'd read it a long time ago but couldn't remember how it all turned out - the best kind of re-read.
Melissa Mcavoy
The Sea of Adventure is the fourth in the Adventure series by Enid Blyton.

Four children have just recovered from the measles and must take a holiday to regain their strength before heading back to boarding school and the summer term. Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent are orphans and have been adopted by the mother of their friends: Philip and Dinah Mannering. When Mrs. Mannering, a widow, comes down with the measles herself, she sends the children: ages 11-14, on a birding expedition to the Scottish isla
Moppet
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A secret agent needs to go to earth for a while to evade some dangerous criminals who are out to get him. Four children and a parrot need to convalesce from the measles. These two events really shouldn't coincide, but they do, as the children's friend Bill Smugs, presumably of the Secret Service (either that or he has a VERY rich fantasy life), takes them all off for a camping and bird-watching holiday in the Hebrides. It's all fun and games (not to mention Spam and ginger beer) until Bill goes ...more
A.R. Collins
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a few five-star moments, and the chapter about the children spending the night alone in an enormous gale and thunderstorm really shows Enid Blyton at her best. But there isn't enough. There are also plenty of three-star moments, where there's some decent scene-building and amusing comments from Kiki (Enid has quite given up trying to imply that Kiki doesn't know what she's saying), but nothing actually happening. In fact, the adventure doesn't start until halfway through the novel. ...more
Jake Collins
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several reviews saying that this book is not as good as the first three in the series, thanks to complacent baddies, a glut of even more silly coincidences than normal, and a setting that does not quite manage to evoke the wonderfully adventurous atmosphere that we've become used to.

This is all true, but it's still a very good adventure story. I particularly like how the children have to use their wits and skills to steal a boat for themselves and rescue Bill from under the enemy's n
Jane Irish Nelson
Re-read. The four children — Philip, Dinah, Jack, and Lucy-Ann, are recovering from the measles; and although term is starting, the doctor insists upon a vacation first. But where can they go? And who will accompany them? Philip and Dinah's mother can't since she has taken on a new commission, but the children balk at the idea of a governess. Then their old friend Bill appears, with the news that he has to disappear for awhile. So what if they go with him? To the sea of Scotland, swarming with b ...more
Joy
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joy by: Gordon Headrick
The sea north of Scotland is full of little islands, and many of them have huge bird colonies. Perfect for the four children until they fall afoul of gunrunners. A pair of puffins adopts them and helps them rescue Bill this time, instead of Bill rescuing them.

Kiki's funny sayings sometimes fit the situation better than they probably would in real life, but all the rest of these animal characters behave perfectly naturally. Huffin and Puffin have no idea they are helping save our adventurers, whi
Julian Froment
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love the adventure series by Enid Blyton. I know that many people feel that her work is very dated and does not conform to modern day political correctness. Still the character traits that her main characters always have such as loyalty and honesty are still laudable even today.

This is as usual a story of children falling into an adventure and triumphing over the bad guys, the criminals that break the law. With a few fights, trials and rescues, this is still a good yarn.
Valerie
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Halfway through the Adventure Series once more!
Again I am there with the children on another hair raising adventure, I am one of them!
I remember looking for such excitement as this as a child, but it wasn't to be unless I hopped on my bike and off to the library in search of Enid Blyton.
I loved being stranded on the island with Huffin and Puffin, entangled with "the bad guys" and it all working out in the end, as it should.
I guess it's on to The Mountain of Adventure now!
Brett Howe
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Adventure series. Full of mystery, but also fun. I thought the description of the "bird" islands was great. But I also thought the actions of the children horrifying in spots. A little like Lord of the Flies if you ask me. The kids really get into a jam in this book where desperate times call for desperate measures and you are kept on edge wondering if they will make it. My 11 year old son and I were riveted to this book as we read it together.. A pleasure to read!
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Tim Taylor
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best of the Adventure Series, and an exciting read for young children and - ahem - dad's of young children. Compared to the others in the series, this was more overt adventure with the threat of death and violence more to the fore, even guns being fired and so on. Felt slightly more grown up. I read the Kindle version and there were quite a few typos, which was annoying as I was reading this out loud as a bedtime read. I'm sure they weren't in the paperback version.
Christine
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody over 8
Recommended to Christine by: Kati Engelke
Another great adventure with Jack, Lucy-Ann, Dinah, Philipp and their parrot Kiki. This time they visit the Shetland Islands with their friend Bill who works as an under cover agent and pulls the children into another dangerous adventure.
It's too bad that the generation of children nowadays did not grew up with such wonderful childrens books!
Enid Blyton books are famous all over Europe and India and still sell better than "Harry Potter". Give it a try!
Barbpie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: england
I read this because Enid Blyton is a favorite of several U. K. Authors. I didn't love it but I admired the way the kids took care of themselves when the strange man who'd been taking of them disappeared. And I also liked Kiki the parrot and all the buttered biscuits they ate. Sounds like my kind of diet--not the parrot, just the buttered biscuits!

• City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George, #2)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Musim Ceri di Bullerbyn
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • When the Snow Fell
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • To the Blight (The Eye of the World, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
“I don't mind taking orders from them as has the right to give them," she said, "but take orders from that ridiculous bird I will not.” 0 likes