Start by marking “Colony” as Want to Read:
Colony

Colony

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  896 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Lifetimes ago, the generation ship Willflower set out, manned by the cream of humanity, on a mission to colonize the stars. But by the 10th generation, things are starting to go badly wrong. The only man who can save the ship is astrophysical Dr Piers Morton. Only he's not an astrophysical engineer, he's not a doctor, he's not even Piers Morgan, and all that remains of his ...more
Published July 26th 2001 by Penguin MD (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colony

Dan Schwent
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny
Eddie O'Hare, perennial loser, switches places with C.P. Gordon, a genius level social scientist, and embarks on a voyage to the stars aboard the Willflower, a colony ship designed to take the cream of the crop on an extended voyage to another world. Eddie ends up in deep freeze and awakens ten generations later, appalled at what's become of the crew...

So I bought this because Rob Grant was half of the team that wrote Red Dwarf. While Colony feels like an exceptionally dark episode of Red Dwarf,
Tony
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Starts rather well and remarkably relevent... would have liked Mr Grant to develop the theme rather more. Also needs a few hundred more pages!
Lynne Norman
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was read as light relief following a few heavier novels and - as such - it worked for me. Not as funny as I would have hoped, but certainly entertaining enough and with an interesting sci-fi concept/plot. The ending felt a little rushed and left me wanting a little more closure. What Grant and Naylor did well in Red Dwarf, and especially in the spin-off novels, was create great anti-heroes - people the viewer/reader felt great affection for in spite of them being everything a hero shou ...more
Bruce
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found this book frustratingly uneven. Loved how I was drawn into the story within the first few pages in a fashion reminiscent of a classic Heinlein opening. But just as the story had gained some momentum, it suddenly went off the rails morphing into a poor approximation of a Douglas Adams novel.

I have a feeling that with a good director, the story line could be turned into an interesting script for TV or film, but as a book, it didn't quite work for me.
Peter
Mar 13, 2011 added it
WOW - CLEVER - VERY CLEVER: After being a red dwarf fan, I was nervous about reading this with too much expectation but to my suprise it was fantastic. Clever idea and i didn't expect that ending. Couldn't help but think that "eddie" was asking for it!
Well done Rob Grant,. I am looking forward to purchasing more of his books in the future.

Johnny Andrews
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Darkly funny or just very British humour take your pick. It started off slow reading (plus for about a month I couldn't find the book) but it grows on you and it is indeed very very very funny. Simply put, fans of Red Dwarf or any other Sci-Fi Comedy will love it.
Guy Walsh
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book in the vein of Red Dwarf. Just as funny and keeps you guessing. Characters aren't perhaps as likeable as the Red Dwarf crew, but this is far from a rehash of Red Dwarf so I'm going to stop harping on about it. Interesting twist at the end too. If there isn't a sequal, there should be.
Gareth Park
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
funniest book i have ever read. i love the character worrying about their green gloop. kept me up literally all night to finish it
Odhran
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read this so many times, and every time I literally blast through it and cannot put it down. A fun sci-fi bumble (kinda like a romp, but more manic and clumsy.)
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humour
Better than I expected, tbh. The beginning was actually pretty good, the whole was quite fun, but the ending was a bit 'meh'. I can release it into the wild, now! ;)
  • Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf #3)
  • Snuff Fiction
  • British Summertime
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • The Stone That Never Came Down
  • Here Be Demons (Demons, #1)
  • Ye Gods!