Start by marking “Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family” as Want to Read:

For families and animal lovers everywhere, Katie Up and Down the Hall is the transcendent tale of how three generations of strangers and an astutely intelligent dog create their own little family in a waterside community along the Hudson River.

It all begins with a random meeting between a younger man and his octogenarian neighbor, Pearl, their attachment cemented b
Published September 8th 2010 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Katie Up and Down the Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie Up and Down the Hall

Leigh-ann
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
If you know me, you know I love all animals, and that I've been rescuing dogs, cats, and parrots for years. Despite that, I just couldn't get into this book. I couldn't relate to the neurotic author who started out afraid of dogs, and wasn't excited by the celebrity anecdotes. I much preferred "Homer's Odyssey" in the genre, "I'm a New Yorker who survived 9/11 with my special pet", although it's obvious YMMV because I'm the only person here who isn't in love with "Katie Up and Down the Hall".
Steph
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I originally picked this book up because of the cute Cocker Spaniel on the cover and I have a lovely Cocker of my own :-) Also, I have quite a penchant for memoirs- especially dog oriented ones.

This book really made me laugh, smile, cry and constantly stop to blow my nose all at the same time. Most things don't make me do all of that. It really showcases the healing power that dogs have with people and how they bring the most unlikely of people together. I know my own d
Donna
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction

2 stars.

This is a nonfiction memoir about a man and his runt of a dog and how this dog wiggled its way into the lives of other families on the same floor. It was a sweet story, but this book was just okay for me and even that seems generous. There were more things that bugged me more than things I liked. I won't delve into that because I never do for nonfiction autobiographies/memoirs. I feel if people want to get their story out there, than more power to them. Overall, this wasn't my kind of b
Janet
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-read
I read this book at least a couple of years ago. I don’t know why it wasn’t in my read history. But I remember, it was a very good, cute book. Definitely worth reading.
Alyce (At Home With Books)
I was drawn to Katie Up and Down the Hall for two reasons: the setting and the main character. The book is set in Battery Park City in New York City, and since I visited New York for the first time last summer I’ve been enjoying revisiting the city vicariously through this book. The main character is Katie, a Cocker Spaniel who belonged to the author (Glenn Plaskin), and united him in friendship with some special neighbors. (I say that she is the main character, and she is, but the book is not w ...more
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This book has been on my tbr list for awhile. I loved this book. I think I would have loved Katie. She brought the neighbors together and made them family. She enriched their lives and enriched her owner's life. I think I would have loved Pearl, his elderly neighbor. She took on the role of Glenn's grandmother and friend. My grandparents have passed away. This book reminded me of "Marley and Me". I found it to be heartwarming and I feel the author's life was changed. I cried when Katie died and ...more
Becky Schulman
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Should have thought this over before I read it. Is there a book about a beloved dog anywhere where the dog doesn't die? I sobbed for hours as I read how Katie died as it was identical to my experience wih Wally in June of 2009.
Lis Carey
In 1988, Glenn Plaskin bought a twelve-week-old cocker spaniel puppy, and named her Katie. As a first-time dog owner, he hardly knew where to begin, but a mutual friend introduced him to his neighbors down the hall in his Battery Park City apartment building, Pearl and Arthur. This older couple were life-long dog owners, and their last dog, a cocker spaniel named Brandy, had died two years earlier. Unprepared to get a new dog at this late stage of their lives, Pearl in particular is more than wi ...more
D
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
While very much an animal lover, I hate the genre of pet memoirs. They all seem to be about some incredibly remarkable animal and we all know how they're going to end--I just don't need or want to read that. But "Katie Up and Down the Hall" was different for me; it was relatable.

As someone who had grown up with cocker spaniels--the last of which who had to be euthanized a few months prior to my finding this book--I found in it a sense of consolation. To find a book about a cocker spa
Stacey Lucky
I had no idea how much I would be crying by the end of this book. I lost my grandma last january and we were extremely close so the loss of Pearl and Katie just sent all the feelings back up..I knew what Glenn was going through..and felt his pain. I had a hard time getting into the book in the beginning but in the end I really loved it and I admit I wanted it to be over so I could stop crying!! lol

Suzanne
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Glenn Paskin told a great story about his dog. I thought the book was going to be similar to Marley and Me by John Grogan but it wasn't. This story was about the power of a dog to bring people together, how relationships grow, and how people and animals can change our lives. I am not a "dog person" but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Several times it brought me to tears. Glenn did a great job of bringing his family and friends to live.
April
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! It is totally a break away from my usual books, but who doesn't love a sweet story about a man and his dog? What I loved is the relationships that were built due to Katie, and how several people in an apartment building became like family. Plaskin really tells his story well, and I felt like I knew Katie, Pearl, Glenn, John, and Ryan. Yes, there were times I balled, but this was not a "sad" story. It really is uplifting, though it does have upsetting moments.
Janet Boyanton
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It will make you smile, laugh, and occasionally cry. It was a great story about the bond between a man and his dog. But it was more than just a standard cute dog story. It is a saga about neighbors and how we should connect. Katie brings neighbors together to form her little family. It is a touching story of friendship, both human and canine. I recieved this book free through Goodreads First Reads.
Teechbiz
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glenn Plaskin writes about his dog Katie and how she unites a group of neighbors in an apartment building of people truly become family. The story takes you through Katie's life with meeting the rich and famous and a everyone in between. The story is much more than the life of Katie and includes the people she becomes close to and puts a smile on their faces

I have a cocker myself so I could relate.
Margaret
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I wish I could give this book a glowing review; sadly, I found it just okay and without much literary value. Sure, it's a nice story of how owning a dog changed one man's life and affected others. But to me, that's about it. I stopped reading halfway through. I found it to be a little too precious.
Shannon
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
I dare you to read this and not cry by the end...if you do not cry you probably do not have a human soul. A very sweet story about how one dog set in motion events that made complete strangers a family. With everything going on right now it felt especially sweet and I cried like a big, fat baby. No offense, Levi.
Franci Neill
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seeing as I love my sweet dog as much as this author loved Katie, I absolutely loved this book. I cried, I laughed and just had a good time reading the whole story. If you're a dog lover or just an animal lover in general, read this book.
L
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good read. Animal lovers will really enjoy this one. Single man with his dog and how this dog brought this New York Apartment Floor together. She was truly a "social" gal. Lots of laughter and some tears. Enjoyable, worthwhile, quick read. Happy reading...

Julie
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had heard about this book from a magazine I had been reading and was very interested in what it was about.

It made me cry!

This book truly shows how deep man's best friend connection is with an animal and how they are there for you no matter what.
Cindy White
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an great book. It was bringing out every emotion in me. Laughter, tears, love ... It was one of my most favorite books I have ever read.
Karen
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book...tear jerker.
Heather Kubitski
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about neighbors evolving into close family all at the "paws" of a loving cocker spaniel who saw the need for belonging and love in each life she touched. As time passes and people move on, the bittersweet lesson of losing loved ones but never losing the love you shared with them is learned. This story helps you realize just how important human and animal relationships are in our lives as it is through them that we learn how to love and experience unexplicable joy in our lives! Yes, i ...more
Kathy
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, animals
Glenn got Katie when he moved into a brand new high rise apartment building on the tip of Manhattan, and he did everything right: training, grooming, walks, food, treats (although maybe too much people food). As a journalist he works from home but travels too, and finds that his elderly neighbors, Pearl and Arthur, are always happy to have Katie at their place. Then John and his 3-year-old son move into the same hallway, and little Ryan encourages Katie's playfulness. When 9/11 happens the "fami ...more
SandyL
The author writes about his dog, Katie, and how she influenced his and other people's lives, bringing neighbors together. Glenn got Katie when she was a puppy and was introduced to previously unknown neighbors who had once owned cocker spaniels. Glen and Katie bonded deeply with Pearl and Arthur. Then a father and son moved into their building and joined the circle, with Katie being the catalyst to bring everyone together. It was a cute and touching story. I listened to the audio version and the ...more
Kim Anderson
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is sooooo good. It's one of those non-fiction books that doesn't read like a non-fiction book at all. I enjoyed it immensely. It's been a loooong time since I've had a book that gave me ALL the feels like this one had. I laughed out loud. I sobbed (loud enough that family members checked to ensure I was OK). This one will stick with me for some time. A must read for any animal lover. And wonderful proof that "family" is not just by blood.
Jenny
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book! It made me happy and it made me sad. This wonderful little dog by the name of Katie draws everyone in and it turns into a family. I recommend this book to anyone who is an animal or dog lover. If you're not a dog lover Katie just might turn you in to one!
Jo
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author does a excellent job of showing how the dog influenced him and the other people down the hall, in their building, and beyond--people he would never have known let alone coming to feel like they really were part of a family.
Mel
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was looking for info on Battery Park City when I came across this book. The problem was I didn't really care for the people or the dogs in the story. It seem tedious to me until the 9/11 part which was terrifying and fascinating all at the same time.
Suti
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this novel in Bahasa Indonesia's version. Been such a good fresher one. I always like the nuance of neighborhoods and family of a story, and this novel contains what I need.

P.s Also from this novel I just knew about 9/11
Huguette Larochelle
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is heart warming book, easy to read and very touching .
about a dog name Katie, a dog that bring peoples together,
and the tragedy of 9/11 ,they witness . and the owner share is dog with other .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
Veteran journalist and celebrity interviewer Glenn Plaskin is the bestselling author of Horowitz: The Biography of Vladimir Horowitz and Turning Point: Pivotal Moments in the Lives of America’s Celebrities. His profiles and columns have appeared in the New York Times, the Daily News, San Francisco Chronicle, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Family Circle, US Weekly, Ladies Home Journal, Cosmopo ...more