Start by marking “Chicken Big” as Want to Read:
Chicken Big

Chicken Big

On a teeny little farm, in an itty-bitty coop, a very small hen laid a big, giant egg. And out of this egg came one big, humongous . . . something. "It's big!" clucked the little rooster. "It's enormous!" clucked the small chicken. "It's an elephant!" peeped the smallest chicken. "Run for your lives!" they cried. No matter how they try, these clueless chickens can't make s ...more
Published August 18th 2010 by Chronicle Books (first published August 1st 2010)

Start your review of Chicken Big
La Coccinelle
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This retelling of "Chicken Little" takes the classic story and gives it a small twist. Here, we get a hysterical chicken who jumps to conclusions about their large friend (thinking he's an elephant, a squirrel, and an umbrella, among other things). Each time, the big chick proves her and the other chickens wrong, and eventually saves them all from a common enemy.

The illustrations are cute and kids will probably like the story. But the e-book edition I read was terrible. Some of the illustrations
Kaethe Douglas
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4/49/2011 Cute. I particularly liked the very small and not very bright chicken. ***"Chicken Little" retold in a coop filled with the stupidist chickens ever. Even stupider than actual chickens can be. I hate chickens for anything except food, but I love writers who make me laugh at stupidity.

Library copy.
Dee Dee G
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected surprise. My son and I enjoyed this funny book.
Cynthia
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect for first grade as they continue taking care of their chicks!
Libby
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't love this, but my older daughter introduced it to my three year old son and he LOVES it and thinks it is SO FUNNY--and it is kind of fun (and fairly easy) to do the voices on.
Cathleen Penyak
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cathleen by: Camille Penyak
Sweet. I loved Chicken Big. Not only are the story and illustrations so cute, clearly we now have proof that chickens really are so smart, so kind, so warm, and so brave.
Karrie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute take on chicken little, and the ramifications of assumptions. I particularly liked that he must be a sweater.
Amy Forrester
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This hilarious spin on the classic Chicken Little story features a band of ditzy chickens who are confused by the presence of a giant chicken who just wants to be part of the gang. When this enormous chicken is born the others aren’t quite sure what to do, but they are fairly sure that it is not a chicken. It’s so big, it must be an elephant! The small and not-so-bright chickens are easily fooled into thinking the sky is falling or leaking, but luckily the large chicken manages to save the day b ...more
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have author envy. It arises whenever I see a book title like Chicken Big. Of course. How obvious. Take the classic Chicken Little and give it a twist. But it only became obvious after author/illustrator Keith Graves beat me to publication. And, I must admit, his goofy book is more amusing than anything I could have hatched.

The story begins when "a very small hen laid a big, humongous egg". The other chickens don't know what to make of the giant hatchling. The smallest chicken ("not the sharpes
Karen A.
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chicken Big is so big the other chickens (who are not all that bright) think he might be an elephant. But they are confused when he eats an acorn, shelters them from the weather, and keeps them warm. That is not what an elephant does!!! Well what is he?? Will they figure it out?? Funny and clever picture book. Should appeal to parents and younsters. Also a good for an 'opposite' themed story time. Preschoolers.
Donalyn
A retelling of Chicken Little with a large hero, Chicken Big, who just wants acceptance from the other chickens. Inset panels and speech bubbles add humor and visual interest.
Rebecca Tucker
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
• Summary: A baby chick hatches but something sets him apart from all of the others; he is much bigger. The other chicks, quickly suspecting he is an intruder elephant, kick him out of the coop and make him stay there. As the chicks face new challenges, the big chick tries his hardest to prove that he is just like everyone else. Unfortunately, each new situation causes the chicks to think that the big chick is just a different animal or object. In the end, the big chick’s heart and bravery prove ...more
Melanie
On a tiny farm, in a tiny coop a little chicken lays a large egg. When that large egg hatches the chickens aren't even sure if it's a chicken. They decide it's an elephant. But when it eats an acorn they think it's a squirrel. When the "squirrel" protects them from the rain they decide it's not a squirrel, but an umbrella. Then the "umbrella" protects them from the wind so it becomes a sweater!

Through all of this the large chick just wants to be a regular chick. When he spies a fox slipping off
Christina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a gift from our teacher of the year, who is also a Library Media Specialist. Her platform is diversity. I read this aloud to the students, and to me, it seemed like an opposite to the movie "Chicken Little." It was simple, it was sweet. I think it takes a big of time to ponder.

Ask yourself, what if "chicken big" did not exist? Would you understand this if you did not see "Chicken Little?"
Cara
Big Chicken was born in a coop where the other chickens weren't so bright. Because he was so big, that meant that he couldn't possibly be a chicken. But after ruling out a bunch of other animal possibilities, suggested by the dumbest chicken in the coop, they finally decide that he is, in fact, a chicken.
Vicki
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A very funny book with some not too smart chickens. Thank goodness Chicken Big has brains to match his size. Love the reference to another chicken who also says “ the sky is falling!”

The colorful illustrations help to tell the story in a great way.

Check out the back cover, there isn’t usually much going on, on the back cover of a picture book but this is pretty humorous.
Fahula
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Funny story and illustrations! Such a cute story about some not so smart chickens trying to figure out what the big chicken must be. I enjoyed the humourous sky is falling pattern and the way the big chicken tolerates the silly chickens’ morphing misconceptions. Students will enjoy the speech bubbles, too. The big chicken is different, but accepted and valued.
Chiara Calò
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book made me laugh from start to finish! The illustrations, the text, everything contributes to making "Chicken Big" a very funny story.
The themes are acceptance of diversity and friendship. A great read for children and adults alike.
Melki
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some really dense chickens (is there any other kind?) attempt to determine into what category this really big, and really useful chicken fits. Is he an umbrella? A sweater? Cute story, with illustrations by the author.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is full of chuckles. A very big chick hatched from a large egg and the other chickens weren't sure what he was. There is arguing among them as they try to figure him out. Cute and funny story with great illustrations.
A cute twist on Chicken Little, although it takes a completely different turn from the original story. Bright, vivid illustrations are fun and the story is decent. This definitely needs voices to make a good read aloud and would be better for kids on the older end.
Gervy
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun.
Ame
A twist on Chicken Little, mostly focused on otherness. Basically, the large chick isn't accepted until he proves himself as useful so uh yeah.
Cynthia Bowen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shared this with my 8th grade students the first day of class to set a climate for inclusivity and understanding of others with differences! Fantastic parody of Chicken Little.
Kari
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another super fun read aloud for Kinder - 2nd graders - laughter is guaranteed.
Trista
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So cute and entertaining. My class really liked this book. It also has a good message.
Laura Molinario
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture Book
Tracy Morton
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is cute and funny. I am going to do a chicken story time but I want a book that I can do with an older group. This one is interesting enough that it will work.
Misbah
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor, animal
When a chicken has a huge a chick, all the other chickens get together and try to figure out what he is.

Love the cute humor
Gary Vassallo
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun book for little ones to read or have read to them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Duck! Rabbit!
  • Little Pea
  • Spork
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Dog Loves Books
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Chloe, Instead