Start by marking “All My Friends Are Dead” as Want to Read:
All My Friends Are Dead

All My Friends Are Dead

(All my friends... #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  22,617 Ratings  ·  1,460 Reviews
If you're a dinosaur, all of your friends are dead. If you're a pirate, all of your friends have scurvy. If you're a tree, all of your friends are end tables. Each page of this laugh-out-loud illustrated humor book showcases the downside of being everything from a clown to a cassette tape to a zombie. Cute and dark all at once, this hilarious children's book for adults tea ...more
Published June 30th 2010 by Chronicle Books

karen
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-laughter
david sent me an awesome birthday box, and this book was inside, ready to make me laugh at the misfortunes of dinosaurs, snowmen, and cassette tapes.

oh, and also, me:

however, the really poignant thing about this book is that there was a small fire at the store on sunday, and the water from the putting out of the fire leaked down to the ground floor, onto the table where this book was featured. so guess what?? all this book's friends are indeed dead - drowned and waterlogged and swollen with nast
Dylan
Mar 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
A dinosaur says all it's friends are dead. Then a baker says all his friends are bread. Then a zombie says all his friends are undead. I'm surprised they missed so many other hilarious opportunities. How about a pencil saying all it's friends are lead? Or what about a tired guy saying all my friends are beds? You could have a native saying all my friends are red. Or even Colonel Kurtz, sitting on a throne of decapitated bodies, saying all my friends are heads.

Sometimes this book will mix up the
Matthew
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, borrowed, humor
I read this book tonight. It took me 5 minutes. It was hilarious! 5 minutes well spent!

This one has to be my favorite:

Carol
Jan 31, 2017 added it
One of the greatest joys of GoodReads is stumbling on a book due to a friends review. Though humor is subjective and there isn't really much I can say about All My Friends Are Dead other than it is hysterical, I owe my laughter to Matthew. This was my favorite though I loved them all and really liked how the whole book came together. Simple, fast and fun.

”description/

D. Pow
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
The vagaries of the reading life are a funny thing. Sometimes you’ll blow a big wad of cash for a hardback and the thing will suck raw eggs. Sometimes you pay a buck or less at some Library book sale or garage sale and discover an absolute treasure that stays with you for the rest of your days(My favorite example is The Collected Poems of Philip Levine, a just a criminal inversion of cost vs. worth-which I paid a buck for over 15 years ago and have read with great joy over and over again). A var ...more
Debbie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
World’s shortest read, my shortest review. This is a super entertaining picture book for adults. Each page contains a picture with one short sentence, just like in a kid’s book. It reminded me a comedian’s deadpan one-liners, except with the added fun of having them illustrated right in front of you. Super clever and surprisingly profound, it shows you how everyone and everything (like socks and cassette tapes) have it tough. Who knew I’d find myself sympathizing with inanimate objects, lol?

You
ᴊᴇss
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
so are my dreams buddy
Sr3yas
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An amusing Picture book where various odd characters talk about their friends in witty one-liners.

It's so simple! I think I can make my own versions about this, minus the illustrations of course.

All my friends are Imaginary.
Ummm... Should we be concerned about Sreyas?

No, Wait. Scratch that. I am not making my own version.

Did he sell his friends? Or did he eat them?! What's happening here?!
Forrest
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My daughter asked for this for her 21st birthday. Of course, I peeked . . . okay, I'm lying, I read the entire thing in about 10 minutes. This is, in essence, a book for existential children . . . or child existentialists . . . or cynical adults who don't like to read but like grim humor in the form of a children's book. If Sartre had had children (did he? I don't know, but I suspect not), he would have read this to them at bedtime every night. Because any night could be your last . . .

PS: I li
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ebook, overrated
I didn't really like this... yikes. I promise, I do have a sense of humour... I just didn't find it funny and I didn't really get the big hype. It wasn't for me so I wouldn't recommend it.
Carlos De Eguiluz
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony...

Ningún amigo mío está muerto, pues, no tengo amigos.
Okay no, no estoy tan jodido.

Me temo que me estoy volviendo adicto a los libros de adultos disfrazados de historias infantiles. Son brillantes.
Mischenko
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and quick picture story. I think my favorite is the fly. Hilarious!
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, humor
Sure to put a smile on your face if you are over 50!
Petergiaquinta
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know, I know...only one measly star to classics like A Farewell to Arms, The Bell Jar, and A Separate Peace, and just three stars to The Waste Land?

And now this?!?

Don't try and shame me. I feel bad enough about it already.

Some times I think I'd like to live forever...

But just look at this sad dinosaur...all his friends are dead.
And no one even calls him a "Brontosaurus" anymore.

And what about this old guy?

Maybe he reminds you of the old poet of Sonnet 30 who laments
"precious friends hid in de
Florencia
This is a funny book about people with no friends because of several reasons: meteors, age, lonely jobs, Internet, death.

I felt sorry for all the characters but especially for this tree. I mean, look at it, a lonely piece of wood whose only companion is a bunch of indifferent leaves. Not even birds' nests. He turned into a coffee table and, surrounded by hundreds of objects in some house, still had no friends.

description

It seems when you're desperate to connect with people, you become some sort of friend r
Anya
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into the world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about all the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace."
Anastasia Riebs
This little tome is quite possibly The Best Book Ever.

Yes, it could be said that its a tad bit morbid, but that's how we play at my house. Build yourself a blanket fort and share a plate of cookies with someone you love (unless everyone you know is dead) and enjoy this great book, together. I promise you'll laugh 'till you cry... or pee your pants, whichever comes first.

description
Pooja
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
All my friends are bread.

Astraea
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
so funny and interesting book!
آپلود عکس
Alice Cai
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-5-star
4.25* Just read this.

The tree is my favorite.
Rebecca Skane
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Read with my daughter. We both got a kick out of this one.
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
5/5 stars. Very cute little picture book. It’s more of an adult darkish humor book. I loved it. Highly recommend.
Lisa Vegan
These are cartoon frames that make up a loosely put together story. Many of the cartoons are funny, wickedly funny, and a few are hilarious. The story does come together in a satisfying way. Very amusing with some rather somber parts too, depending on the readers’ outlook. This is a small, slight $10 hardcover mini book, a bit too expensive for what it is, and that’s a shame because I’m thinking of a few not yet dead friends who might like it. I think I’ll suggest they do what I did: borrow it f ...more
Betsy Robinson
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick (say, five minutes) read and a great little gift to give somebody. Thanks, GReader Carol, for reviewing it. I actually found it more poignant than laugh-out-loud funny. I got it at the library, but will try to remember it for eventual gift giving.
Emma Sea
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always regretted that when I had a baby I wasn't clever enough to think of teaching her humorously inappropriate knowledge, like the baby who knows dead American presidents. I like to blame sleep deprivation for my lack of iniative, but mostly it was because I had a baby so young I was still in monkey-mind. I didn't become actually conscious till I was about 28, by which time it was far too late.

I would almost have another baby just to raise them on this book. A time machine would be prefer
Yonaily

Este corto libro me ha dejado con una tonta sonrisa en mi rostro y, aunque no suelo leer historias para niños, me alegro de haberle dado una oportunidad a ésta, porque resultó en una amena lectura. Divertido y placentero, All My Friends Are Dead es uno de esos libros que de alguna manera te hacen sentir bien cuando estás triste. Me he reído a carcajadas leyéndolo. He disfrutado mucho con sus noventa y séis páginas. Y también he obtenido un bonito mensaje y reflexión.

When I think about the sm
Philip
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I kept seeing this book everywhere for the past couple years. It was all over goodreads for a while. And it's prominently displayed in my favorite bookstore. But our library doesn't have a copy, and I don't have 10 bucks at the moment. (Technically, any moment...)

And this isn't a dig on my library: I love the place. Is it weird that I asked for this book on inter-library loan? That's something you do for academic books - not for books like this, right?

But I did. And it was totally worth it. In f
Ginger
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One word...hilarious. NOT a childrens book.
Wendi Palasak
Cute....and funny.....just a little bit 😋
Coralie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Short, funny little book. It's kind of depressing, as implied by the title, but it did make me laugh a little. Not a children's book, but no "adult" humor.
Around the Year i...: All My Friends Are Dead, by Avery Monsen 5 24 Mar 04, 2016 08:52AM
"All my friends are STILL dead" (a sequel!) 1 54 Jun 23, 2013 09:30AM
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Toothpaste for Dinner
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Darth Vader and Son
Avery Monsen is an actor, artist, and writer who lives in New York. Right now — whenever you're reading this — he's probably eating cereal.

All my friends... (2 books)
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
“Sometimes I feel alone. Some days are long and hard. But when I look out into this world, I am struck by the impossible beauty of it all. Those billions of magnificent accidents that led us to where we are today, that led us to paper planes and nautilus shells and the tiny, crooked smiles of children. When I think about the small perfections of the world, I have faith that my time will come. I have faith that someday, a warm light will flood over me and I will find peace.” 46 likes
“Please stop buying my friends if you are just going to slowly kill them.” 6 likes