Start by marking “Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)” as Want to Read:
Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)

Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  368 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Python Essential Reference, 3rd Edition, is a comprehensive reference to the Python programming language. The focus of this latest edition is to add coverage of significant new features and new library modules added to the language over the past five years. Clearly written with concise organization, the new features covered include new style classes, unification of types a ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 648 pages
Published March 2nd 2006 by Sams (first published October 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Python Essential Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Python Essential Reference

Simon Kozlov
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was pitched to me as something that answers typical Python questions faster than google and StackOverflow. Well, it's hard to beat google, but for a lot of the topics I found it to be best description out there (huge props for description of Unicode in Python).

It's first time I read language reference back to back - Python is big and I decided it's time to read about _all_ the features. I'm using Python for about two years now and every month or so I found an unexpected feature. This b
Breccan
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite python book. The first part is by far the best introduction to python I've found for experienced programmers.
Mehdi
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good Python reference book. However, it is a bit outdated now and needs a new revision to cover recent changes in the language and the ecosystem.
David
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers-lang
Did a straight read through to learn Python. Not the path I'd recommend for others. :-)
Paul Floyd
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good overall view, but due to the enormous size of the libraries, detail has to be fairly skimpy.
Viet Nguyen
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just over 100 pages into it but this one is the best Python books I've read/glanced so far.
Anton
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Книга описывает возможности языка Python. Книга не является учебным пособием и предназначена для тех, кто уже знаком с программированием в целом и языком Python в частности. В первой части книги описываются общие возможности языка, синтаксис, структура программ и т.д. В воторой части подробно описываются наиболее используемые модули стандартной библиотеки. В заключительной части описываются возможности расширения с использованием языка C (в основном) и встраивения (вызова) кода Python в программ ...more
Qubitng
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this was a painful, long read the first time through when I was trying to learn Python. I wanted to get things done asap. But reading this a 2nd time, it seems so much clearer. It has much excellent information and the organization is good. The prose is concise but not uselessly terse; and the examples are illustrative not long, tedious and noisy like in some other series. Probably wouldn't recommend to someone completely unfamiliar with Python as this is closer to a quick reference than ...more
Alex
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perfect reference and great book for experienced programmers who want to learn Python. Lots of great concepts described like concurrent programming and quote deeply described standard Python library from working with strings to network APIs.

As its reference, its hard to read. But its worth it, Beazley spreads lots of spark ideas and insights along the way.
Bill
May 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Python programmers
Shelves: computers, python
Usually I'm an O'Reilly snob, but this is the best Python book out there, including O'Reilly's Programming Python . I used it when I was learning the language, and continue to rely on it as my primary reference. This book and the online documentation are all you'll need.
Jason Haas
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Python book I've seen so far. I'm an intermediate level Python hacker and I found this reference to be very helpful in explaining some of the more advanced python concepts such as decorators, object oriented programming, coroutines, etc.
Dan
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Python Programmers
Recommended to Dan by: Lance
Python docs can be a little daunting on the online site. This reference I keep right next to my laptop and anytime I don't fell like plowing through the library reference the python.org site, this has been coming in quite handy as a quick reference. Detailed, with sample code.
Ron
Mar 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
If you're a programmer fluent in another language this is a concise way to pick up Python. I find myself referring back to it occasionally to this day. Which means it either continues to be useful or I'm just darn forgetful.
Bob Hancock
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Simply the best Python reference. The only book I keep on my desk.
Ayoola Adegbite
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
perfect book for every serious python programmer .. exactly what is says on the tin ."reference book ".for keeps.
Peter Anderson
Jun 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: programming
This is simply NOT worth the money! The contents are in the documentation files released with each new version of Python. This book, however, is out-of-date and locked in time.
Pedro Oliveira
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book literally saved me a LOT of time while learning python under pressure. Nice!
Javier
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
One of the best python books
Darin
Jul 01, 2011 marked it as reference-only
This book would not be appropriate for someone new to programming, but it does have a short introduction to python in the first chapter. Most of the book is devoted to the various library packages.
Eric
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is a great resource for Python programming.
Gelion
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications
  • C: A Reference Manual

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »