Start by marking “Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional” as Want to Read:
Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional

Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional

"Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional" is the most comprehensive book on the Python ever written. Based on "Practical Python," this newly-revised book is both an introduction and practical reference for a swath of Python-related programming topics, including addressing language internals, database integration, network programming, and web services. Advanced topics ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Apress (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Beginning Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning Python

Start your review of Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
Amanda Sullivan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
The 2nd edition still carries a huge dependency on Python 2, despite claiming to cover Python 3.
This is an immediate problem, as your first instruction print "Hello World." is incorrect. In Python 3, you need to include parentheses. So you should be instructed to print ("Hello World").

I really enjoy Hetland's writing style, so I wish I could rate this higher...but the fact that you have to convert frequently isn't worth it. It works against you and not for you.

I would recommend 'Automate the Bor
Asade Tolu
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simplified and concise explanations in learning Python programming. The use and examples of programs in the book helped a beginner like me in becoming more conversant with the python language.

The projects and exercises turns one into an advance-like programmer.
Mahmoud Tantawy
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for beginners into even programming not just Python, can be a bit boring if you are not new into programming.
Definitely will use it as reference whenever i need help.
runzhi xiao
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book with absolutely no knowledge about python and it works for me. So it is a good start to learn python from scratch.
But the problem is it seems too story-telling as it did not seriously tak about concepts like python class system, basic object types...etc... So it seems a bit not so professional as you might expect from elementary books about other languages(like c++) which lists all basic object types (int,short,float....).
Ankit
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to start with your Python journey.
Marinda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have worked through a couple of books of Python and this is the very best of them all.
Joseph Leskey
A brilliant book this. It delivered that information which I wished were in my possession. So now I can program in Python. Yay.
Peter Bond
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
First python book I read, easy to follow and understand to outline of programing
Dmitriy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Well, OK book; however somewhat haphazard structure makes it confusing.
Earl
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer_science
An excellent book for those learning to program on a fundamental level.

In his book, Mr. Hetland, makes learning the Python language a fun experience by livening it with quirky remarks to remove the dry aire that so often surround technically oriented books. This as he gradually works you through the fundamentals of the language to more advanced topics, and closes with some basic programs to firm-up what knowledge he shared in the text of the book. Then at the end of each chapter there is a revi
Ji
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
I haven't really finished reading every piece of it, but it's good enough to call it a closure - and I might keep it for future reference. Given that I had pretty low expectation of this book based on its title, it's surprisingly well written and covered quite some non-trivial grounds for beginning Python programming. It's worth recommending for a Python beginner's book - substantial, and well ordered indeed. ...more
Tadas Talaikis
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can go insane when trying to recall how to differentiate between R, Pythin, Lua, etc. (?) Maybe I should end my search for ideal solution for my needs and go for Matlab instead. Open source changes too fast and what worked yesterday, today needs a lot of time fixing. Books here are dead in 21st century.
Paul Childs
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
Good book for learning the basics. It gave me a good understanding of basic Python programming and syntax. There were chapters within that introduced working with graphics, networking, files and such. These chapters are not always as complete as one might wish, but they do give you an idea of what is involved which for this book is enough.
Mike Han
It was such thorough introduction to python. Although my brain has failed to retain 100% of the information, I certainly know now where to look if the need shall ever arise for me to do anything with python. Quite certainly a useful start to the language.
Gian Luca
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Buon libro per iniziare a studiare Python, anche se lo stile dell'autore, che cerca di essere colloquiale, tende ad essere a volte confusionario, saltando da un concetto all'altro in un libero flusso di pensieri... ...more
Mohammad Shaker
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Start from very basic level, as it assume u have barely ntn with programming before, although it's good indeed. ...more
Kailai Shao
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
right book to begin python-learning, however a bit garrulous sometimes
Nicholas
I stopped learning this to learn ruby.
Rodrigo Pérez
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, with good examples and advices.
Rodney
very easy to read and understand.
Roman Gonzalez
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction on Python programming, I did a quick reading (over a week) in 2007 for my projects in University, and I was able to get really a good quality code project going on.
Jorge

• Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner
  • JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »