Start by marking “Moonlight Shadow” as Want to Read:
Moonlight Shadow

Moonlight Shadow

C'è un giorno, un giorno soltanto, in cui in condizioni particolari è possibile rivedere i propri cari defunti. Dicono che qualcuno è pure in grado di sentirli e parlar loro. Che sia possibile per Satsuki, che non riesce in alcun modo a scordare il ragazzo perduto, e Hiiragi, che per ricordare Yumiko ne indossa tutti i giorni la divisa alla marinara? La misteriosa Urara, c ...more
ebook, Zoom flash, 48 pages
Published December 17th 2012 by Feltrinelli

To ask other readers questions about Moonlight Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonlight Shadow

Start your review of Moonlight Shadow
Nurul Nadzirin
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Yoshimoto's writing is so spot on in describing the feeling of longing and grief. There are details in mourning and during loneliness that we feel strongly but rarely solidify with words, and Yoshimoto does this effortlessly. As if I was relieving my own experience with each paragraph, in the short time that I read this, I became the narrator and I was the one who lost my lover and has a lifetime ahead of me, a lifetime without him. The morning after I finished, I woke up with a heartache and sm ...more
Melissa
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
A free novella that was included with my version of Kitchen. It was a nice short story, but overall I preferred the more fleshed out Kitchen. But if your copy contains both, read this one too, both cover themes of love and loss.
Hoda Marmar
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, e-book
This novella speaks of the healing power of saying a proper goodbye. I believe it to be an essential life skill that we were not taught. Saying goodbye, moving on, accepting that things end (through death or other), and welcoming other people or places or dreams etc... It may take us years to do it and sometimes we might be unable of letting go. But, we should. To me, this was greater than words could describe. I felt relief once the main characters were able to bid their deceased lovers goodbye ...more
Apoorvaa Singh
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story tore me to pieces.
I read these lines through a constant film of tears and I will cry unabashedly every single time I re read them...

"I'll never be able to be here again.
One caravan has stopped, another starts up. There are people I have yet to meet, others I'll never see again."

...for we have all loved and lost someone.
Amal Soyed
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-2017
This is way much better that Kitchen .
Hikari
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
" things are just things , they can't bring back the dead .It just makes me feel better" - Hiiragi
This novel should be separated from Kitchen because that way makes me feel that the novel is not important .
I liked it more than Kitchen . A masterpiece illustrating how we feel when we lose a special person . Hiiragi's story touched me the most. may be because he is too loyal, careful and kind or may be because I felt I have met him before. his character was the nearest to my heart .
Nicole-Anne Keyton
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Parting and death are both terribly painful. But to keep nursing the memory of a love so great you can't believe you'll ever love again is a useless drain on a woman's energies." Of all the prose that came from this little novella, this quote struck me the most. We become so devoted to our human attachments that we lose sight of ourselves, of our progress, and that is what I challenge myself with every day. This story shows us how to care about others as well as our own well-being.
Josephine Quealy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a heartfelt and warm novella about love and grief. It's my favourite thing of Banana Yoshimoto's. (By 'thing' I mean writing: I have no idea about her personal possessions.) I re-read it every couple of years when it happens that I may be feeling a little adrift. It isn't just about the loss of a romantic love but of the ties that bind us joyfully to other people and to life. An elegant hymn to hope.
Kylie
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, I cried more than I care to admit.
Bex
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
I thought Banana Yoshimoto's portrayal of the nuances of grief was really thought provoking and original. I thought Moonlight Shadow failed to capture the same charm. Whilst Kitchen was really quite obscure, it still made perfect sense in its obscurity. Moonlight Shadow was also an unusual story about grief, set very far apart from the typical approach to such stories, but I'm not sure it worked anywhere near as well.

In the midst of a four year relationship, Satsuki's boyfriend dies in a tragic
Alma Barrón
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Satsuki is struggling to live after she lost her boyfriend Hitoshi in a tragic car accident. She is not able to sleep, so she goes out jogging every dawn, there she meets a strange woman, named Urara who will show her a strange phenomenon that happens every once in a hundred years on the bridge where Hitoshi died. She, alongside with Hitoshi's brother will need to find a reason to keep on living after the dead of a loved one.
Max
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The style is clean and clear. The flow of emotions is more important than the plot itself. You can almost feel the sensations and thoughts of the protagonist. In a story about coping a tragic death Banana is one of the best writer.
Elena
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little story was perfect. Even if short, it captured perfectly the feeling of grief and loss. I felt so much while reading it, and I found myself close to tears at time. Absolutely beautiful.
Ananya
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moonlight Shadow is absolutely brilliant.
Having said that, if you've gone through a tragic event recently (death of someone close, tragic heartbreak), DO NOT READ.
Banana Yoshimoto's writing is both refined and painfully raw. Every sentence was so relatable, it hurt to the point of torture. If you're like me, you'll go out of your way to feel pain. But this was a whole other level. Go be emo on tumblr or something, but do not read moonlight shadow.

For everyone else: It is mystical and real. Un
Heidi Burkhart
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful! I am often not too fond of nouvellas or short stories but this was Yoshimoto at her best! I love her thoughts and descriptions of nature. I may have to read this again at some point, just for the delight of it.
Channelle
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short but poignant story - I loved it! Beautiful imagery and a tale that makes emotions really resound within you.
Dave
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese
Confusingly appended to the end of Kitchen.

Its moving and gets about its business more quickly than Kitchen, but is not quite as charming.
Nadine
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yoshimoto has won my heart with her minimalist storytelling. Moonlight Shadow is a deeply cathartic read.
Zoe
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
again, so so good! and so so sad. i thoroughly enjoyed this story!
Henneke
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful written book about grief
Dakota Sillyman
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Surreal and subtle in all the right ways.
LucyReads
Such a quiet and lovely read.
Elspeth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pensive short story about physically & emotionally coping with grief and support from strangers & friends. Odd at time but heartwarming.
patty
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little novella.
Felipe
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Kitchen-lite. A nice short story about moving past grief. Almost like the author was testing the waters before coming out with Kitchen. I can see why they're packaged together.
Nanta
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. What a heartbreaking and poignant story about loss, love and saying a proper goodbye. The perfect economy in language mixed with the poignancy and grace of Yoshimoto's writing. One of my favorite short stories in recent time.
Benja
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yoshimoto's debut novella Moonlight Shadow is about a young woman dealing with feelings of morbid listlessness after losing someone very dear to her. She also has a male counterpart, whose reaction to loss borders on lunacy. It clues you into Kitchen - which I read first - and what I presume is the rest of her oeuvre.

Here the language seems even more awkward than in Kitchen, and I don't know if it's a translation issue, a cultural thing or a combination of both. Most of it seems to revolve around a certa
Anastasia
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
Moonlight Shadow is a beautiful short story about loss and grief. A young woman named Satsuki loses her boyfriend in a car accident and is plagued by her grief and the feeling that she could have done something to prevent the accident. She grows closer to Hiiragi, her boyfriend's brother, who is coping with the death of his girlfriend who passed away in the same accident. Hiiragi copes by wearing his girlfriend's clothes to school. Both are lost and it is beautiful to read how a shared grief is ...more
My
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. It's good; however, not really that great.

"With a cold, now is the hardest time. Maybe even harder than dying. But this is probably as bad as it can get. You might come to fear the next time you get a cold; it will be as bad as this, but if you just hold steady, it won't be. For the rest of your life. That's how it works. You could take the negative view and live in fear: Will it happen again? But it won't hurt so much if you just accept it as a part of
Viet Phuong
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Similar to "Kitchen", the novela is somehow lighthearted given its serious and depressing themes of loss and death. The subject (the loss of one's dearest) was in fact not explored in depth (another similarity to "Kitchen"), still it makes readers "feel good" with a "cast" of youthful, optimistic (kind of), and, above all, kindhearted characters - the best specimens you can find in a modern society full of depression and pessimism.

• L'école de la chair
  • Cat Stories
  • Cat Poems
  • Snakes and Earrings
  • Twinkle Twinkle
  • Politisches Framing Wie eine Nation sich ihr Denken einredet - und daraus Politik macht
  • Musica. Un'interpretazione psicoanalitica di un caso di frigidità
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Water of Life: A Treatise on Urine Therapy
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book: The Mowgli Stories
  • #Unlearn
  • Sincerely, X
Banana Yoshimoto (よしもと ばなな or 吉本 ばなな) is the pen name of Mahoko Yoshimoto (吉本 真秀子), a Japanese contemporary writer. She writes her name in hiragana. (See also 吉本芭娜娜 (Chinese).)

Along with having a famous father, poet Takaaki Yoshimoto, Banana's sister, Haruno Yoiko, is a well-known cartoonist in Japan. Growing up in a liberal family, she learned
“A lover should die after a long lifetime. I lost Hitoshi at the age of twenty, and I suffered from it so much that I felt as if my own life had stopped. The night he died, my soul went away to some other place and I couldn't bring it back. It was impossible to see the world as I had before. My brain ebbed and flowed, unstable, and I passed the days in a relentless state of dull oppression.” 11 likes