Start by marking “What to Expect the 1st Year [Rev Edition]” as Want to Read:
What to Expect the 1st Year [Rev Edition]

What to Expect the 1st Year [Rev Edition] (What to Expect)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  13,521 Ratings  ·  799 Reviews
Now fully revised and updated, this comprehensive and practical month-by-month guide clearly explains everything parents need to know - or might be worrying about - in the first year with a new baby.
Published May 27th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about What to Expect the 1st Year [Rev Edition], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Expect the 1st Year [Rev Edition]

Tijana
Fenomenalno praktična i korisna knjiga za friške roditelje, ne samo zbog toga što pregledno i obuhvatno pokriva gotovo sve probleme i "probleme" s kojima se suočavaju, nego pre svega zbog utešno-ohrabrujućeg tona kojim na hiljadu načina varira iskaz "Opustite se. Sve je to normalno kad su bebe u pitanju. Nećete zabrljati."
(_.- Jared -._) ₪ Book Nerd ₪
Babies are definitely scary your first time. I mean there's this new little life that's counting on you get things right and if you screw it up they might die! No pressure though, right? Thank God our child came with instructions. Amazon claims that the book was published just like any other book but I swear it must have been hidden somewhere in the placenta. Because shortly after the birth of our baby, it appeared out of nowhere and it never left my wife's side until she finished it. The book w ...more
Chad Warner
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: What to Expect When You're Expecting
I read this because I liked What to Expect When You're Expecting. I liked this one even better. It's packed with facts and practical advice. As a first-time dad, I found it especially useful.

The chapters on illness and first aid are overwhelming; I quickly gave up on trying to take notes. I skimmed the chapters to become aware of what could happen, but I'd rather rely on advice from the pediatrician or medical staff in the event of serious sickness or injury.

I found the section on baby sign lang
Ashley (TheNerdyBookmark)
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: First Time Mommys
Actual Rating: 3.75/5

A great guide to the ever growing unstable wet squish that is your baby!

I didn't find this book as important as the first one (which was my savoir having known NOTHING about babies!), though it is still very well written. It's incredibly informative and a great guide for following the development of your baby during his first year of life.

My rating isn't indicating anything wrong with this book. There's nothing wrong. It's perfect. But I found it to be more of a fun guide -
Kathrynn
Another manual that should come home from the hospital with the newborn! I devoured this book and have a lot of highlights! A must have for new moms and dads. Nicely laid out.

I'm glad I got this book out of the shelf to add to GRs. I found a Mother's Day card to me inside it from my Grandmother! God rest her soul.
Carrie
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I will preface my review by saying that, apparently, my parenting style is referred to as "Attachment Parenting" which I understand is an institutional term for "Damn Hippie". I simply do what feels natural and right for me and my baby. I have learned to trust my baby, listen to her pediatrician (with a discerning ear), and phooey on anyone that tells me I HAVE to do X-Y-Z to make sure she scores high on the S-A-T. (seriously, if she doesn't eat solids at 120 days old, she will still learn to ...more
iHeyam
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب حجمة كبيير جداا وحقيقة لم استطع قراءته دفعة واحد هو أشبه بالمرجع لكل حالة.. نصائح ممتازة ومناسبة لكل أم .. من أهم الامور التي استفدت منها جداول الاعراض للامراض كثييرا لا نعلم ماسبب صياح الطفل لكن هناك بكل مرحلة عمرية تقريبا يوجد جدول للأعراض ومتابعة حالة الطفل من لون البراز ودرجة الحرارة لمعرفة حالة الطفل وسبب بكاءة.... أفادني كثييراا الحمدلله .. وأخيرا أتمت سارة عامها الاول وأتميت قرائتي للكتاب:)
Tracy
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good, and it's definitely the most popular baby guide. But, there are other books that are better, like the one from the American Academy of Pediatricians, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child. I felt this book included too many topics that were just hype. It also covers topics in an inflammatory way, and then more calmly states the actual facts at the very end of a topic.

For instance, it lists a number of foods not to give your child the first or even second year. I was starting t
Боби
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Тази книга ми харесва с разностранната си изчерпателност. Има въпроси и отговори и информация в много посоки, някои от тях неподозирани от мен аспекти на живота на бебока. Насочи ме да търся и чета по успоредни теми, други книги и тн.

Както всяка книга-справочник, и тази не може да се изчете лесно от-до, а по-скоро седи на масата и току я прелистваш. Също така, не е добре всичко да се приема 1:1, винаги пречупвайте информацията през призмата на вашия живот и вашето дете.

(това по-долу важи за всич
Christina
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very unhelpful and I found it to be a bit biased or maybe just one-sided. She definitely has opinions so if that is what you're looking for maybe you'll like it. I also hated the way it was organized by month rather than by topic. If your baby isn't on the exact same path as she expects them to be then you will have to leaf through looking for the info you want. Also the Q&A sections of each chapter are strange. I didn't really find any useful information in the book. I don't know if there a ...more
Tessie
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good basic overview that shows both sides of parenting traits, even if it is slightly biased towards one side.
Amanda Coak
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Babies don't come with instruction manuals, but if they did, it would probably be this book - which is a beast of a read filled with monthly data/milestones to expect, medical information, and tons of feeding advice. I was overwhelmed reading it, but I'm glad I have it on hand for the future. I also realized that I KNOW NOTHING as a new parent AND WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO?!, but at least there are books like these that provide tons of important info.
Smita Jha
I think like a lot of people who loved "What to Expect when you're Expecting' I have mixed feelings about this book.

It was helpful and had a lot of useful information organized by age. But I think the first year is more about time ranges for things to happen and some specific issues just occupy more of your time. I spent half my time trying to figure out nutrition for the baby (breastfeeding and then solids) and then dealing with teething. Colic wasn't much fun either. The development stuff was
Courtney Hatch
Great resource just like the other "What to Expect..." books. The library was out of copies in English, so I got some nice and needed Spanish practice with this one which was fun to learn some medical/baby terms I didn't know. Anyway. I liked that the chapters never said "this month your baby will..." because all babies are so different. I'm glad that the book makes an effort to acknowledge all the different ways children develop.
Meghan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest - I've only read through the "first month" chapter, but I feel like I'll always be coming back to this book to read and reread. And it's not going to sit on my "currently reading" book forever!

Things I like so far: the page with all the milestones and the step-by-step instructions on swaddling, changing diapers, nursing, etc. I'm sure there's more, but I'm in cram mode and I forget!!
Jaclyn Harrison
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the month-to-month chapters. I also like that she lists milestones by the percentage of children that reach them by that age (90%, 75%, 50%, and 25%).
Jason Strayer
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baby: the owner's manual. It's a massive tome -- and of course I wouldn't expect anyone but me to read it cover to cover -- but the material is indexed and organized chronologically, so it is accessible to the stressed out parent. If you have a question in month four about what to buy your infant in the toy department, this book has the answer. For those competitive types, the handy chart of development milestones starting on page 106 will help you determine if your little one is already getting ...more
Sandra
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been invaluable to me this first year of parenting. It gave me a helpful guideline for what to look out for and answered my silly developmental questions when I couldn't trust the Internet and felt too stupid to call the pediatrician.
Leopold Hess
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Znakomita książka, najlepsza jaką miałem w rękach w tej kategorii. Zawiera mnóstwo szczegółowych, fachowych informacji, które są bardzo przejrzyście uporządkowane i łatwe do odnalezienia. Jest napisana językiem lekkim i przyjaznym, często dowcipnym, a zarazem nigdy głupawym lub upupiajacym (co jest częstym problemem w tym gatunku).
Sera
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Parents
Shelves: parenting, own
Overall, a useful book but there are some organizational problems with it. Nothing major, though. I'm likely to purchase the next book in this series, because it gives nice examples of interactive activities that you can do with your child to work on development. Plus, it has recipes for those of us who like to make our own baby food, and it has FAQ throughout that in some instances, provides very useful and detailed information.

I read the Sears book in conjunction with this one, and I found thi
Anne
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some basic information that's useful, and tables for common OTC drugs based on weight and type of suspension at the back that are great for when internet access is out and you need to look them up. And this book helped teach my husband how to change a diaper.

However, some of the information is just not great. I would recommend skipping the whole section on breastfeeding and reading some better books on it instead. The growth, eating, sleep, and sibling sections have been spectacula
Christina
Jun 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Recommended to Christina by: insurance company
My insurance company sent me this book for free. I have NEVER thrown a book in the trash but I am so tempted to do so with this one. I don't want to donate it out of fear someone will believe the crap they try to pull. Seriously, why the fuck would ANYONE promote a LOW FAT DIET FOR BABIES?! Over and over again! "Is a vegan diet okay for babies?" "Yeah, sure, it's healthy and low-fat!" FUCK YOU. BABIES NEED FAT TO SURVIVE. FOLLOWING THIS BOOK WILL KILL YOUR CHILDREN. If they can't even get that f ...more
Alicia Bayer
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dislike this whole series of books. The author spends too much time making her beliefs sound like facts in some areas (like against co-sleeping and for "crying it out") and then pandering to both sides (like bottle feeders and breastfeeders) in other areas in an obvious attempt to sacrifice the best baby advice for coddling to readers who may not have gone the path that's best for baby and don't want to feel bad about it. The advice is more along the lines of my mother's generation than the cu ...more
Molly
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had good information, but like the "what to expect when you're expecting," it had a very "judgy" tone overall. Also, since this is a book directed at parents of mostly healthy babies, I found that it over-emphasized what could go wrong. I get that people worry about blankets in cribs, but after reading this book, you'll be convinced that getting out of infancy without a crib straight up murdering your baby is impossible. A fairly good reference, but there are more neutral/less alarmist books ...more
Kristen
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a handy book for when you have questions. Wish it had more on what should be happening developmentally on a weekly basis like what to expect when your expecting had weekly updates on how the baby should be developing.
Megan
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book often made me feel like the worst parent in the world. It is very single-sided about most parenting stlyes that my husband and I are practicing, such as co-sleeping. If you are approaching parenting in a very loving and nurturing manner, I do not recommend that you read this book.
Stephanie Middleton
It was no doubt helpful to this clueless first time mom, but I won't be investing in the Toddler Years edition. Most of what I need parenting advice-wise seems to be online. Plus, this series is bizarrely organized and not very user friendly.
Kate
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I need a research based infant development book that cites studies. I don't believe anything. Sigh
Noel
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great "User's manual" for parents!
Bethany Sanner
Not as neccessary as "What to expect when you're expecting" but still a comforting reference book...sometimes I disagree with it though...Mom knows best.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add author 3 13 Jun 05, 2017 02:44PM
What to Expect the first year 4 26 Sep 02, 2007 06:38PM
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • A Child is Born
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Baby and Child Care
  • Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
Heidi Murkoff is the author of the What to Expect® series and author of Eating Well When You're Expecting, The What to Expect Pregnancy Journal & Organizer, What to Expect the First Year, The What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook, and the What to Expect Kids series from HarperCollins. Her interactive website is www.whattoexpect.com, and she lives with her family in Los Angeles, California.
More about Heidi Murkoff...

What to Expect (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • What to Expect Gift Set
  • What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook
  • What To Expect Pregnancy Planner
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Organizer
“Kids who know they’re cared for and cared about have fewer behavioral problems and stronger relationships. •” 0 likes
“The following houseplants are poisonous, some in very small doses: Dumb cane, English ivy, foxglove, hyacinth bulbs (and leaves and flowers in quantity), hydrangea, iris rootstalk and rhizome, lily of the valley, philodendron, Jerusalem cherry. Outdoor plants that are poisonous include: Azalea, rhododendron, caladium, daffodil and narcissus bulbs, daphne, English ivy, foxglove, hyacinth bulbs (and leaves and flowers in quantity), hydrangea, iris rootstalk and rhizome, Japanese yew seeds and leaves, larkspur, laurel, lily of the valley, morning glory seeds, oleander, privet, rhubarb leaves, sweet peas (especially the “peas,” which are the seeds), tomato plant leaves, wisteria pods and seeds, yews. Holiday favorites holly and mistletoe, and to a lesser extent, poinsettia (which is irritating but not poisonous), are also on the danger list.” 0 likes