Start by marking “Worst Case (Michael Bennett Series #3)” as Want to Read:
Worst Case (Michael Bennett Series #3)

Worst Case (Michael Bennett #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  20,111 Ratings  ·  1,222 Reviews
Best case: survival
The son of one of New York's wealthiest families is snatched off the street and held hostage. His parents can't save him, because this kidnapper isn't demanding money. Instead, he quizzes his prisoner on the price others pay for his life of luxury. In this exam, wrong answers are fatal.
Worst case: death
Detective Michael Bennett leads the investigation
ebook, Special Edition, 0 pages
Published April 2nd 2010 by Little, Brown & Company (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Worst Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Case

Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seriously love this Michael Bennett series. I dare even say more than I did the Woman’s Murder Club series. Bennett is a completely likable character and is easily endearing to readers. His love life is very odd right now but that just adds to the ongoing story. The plot was so engrossing that I could not put it down. I ended up reading it in one sitting.

My quick and simple overall: a fast-paced suspense with a perp who is targeted the children of the rich.
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worst Case by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge is the third book in the Michael Bennett detective series. Readers will not have to read the other two books in the series to follow along as this New York Detective takes on a child kidnapper with a social agenda. Bennett is a single father with 10 children -- not all of them biological -- whose holy grandfather Seamus and nanny Mary Catherine make his life a little less hectic and in some cases even more so.

Bennett must not only balance his fa
Best Crime Books & More
I have read all of James Patterson’s books and to be frank they can be hit and miss. Sometimes he can produce fantastic stories but in recent years it seems like he churns out so many books that sometimes the story doesn’t have the author’s whole focus. The Michael Bennett series is co-written with Michael Lewidge.

This particular book I really enjoyed. I have also read the two previous Michael Bennett novels so I already had some background on the characters which always helps. The second book i
Tyler Desharnais
Worst Case written by James Patterson is based in various places through out New York. Detective Bennett, a loving father with 10 adopted children with a deceased wife along with Emily Parker, the FBI agent out of Washington just getting out of a marriage are puzzled to see New York's wealthiest peoples children being abducted by a man who then gives the children a test to see if they live or die, they pass, they live. But if they fail, they pay the ultimate price, their lives.
This book is writ
Mahoghani 23
Mind turning and full of religion. This story pulls Ash Wednesday into the plot and it’s an adventurous ride from start to finish. Detective Bennett never quits and uses all his skills to resolve the case.

Francis Mooney is determined to alert the public about how the world is going to the garbage because of selfish, undeserving and bad ideas. No one listening and so he decides to take matters into his own hands and they are deadly. He doesn’t care who he hurts.

This story was riveting and mesme
Traci Haley
I am slightly embarrassed to admit every time I read a James Patterson novel. I don't have any delusions that he's that great of a writer... or, for that matter, that he's even writing this stuff anymore. In fact, when I say I'm a fan of Patterson's Michael Bennett series, I should just edit that to say I"m a fan of Michael Ledwidge's writing. In any case, while most people probably count Alex Cross as their favorite Patterson-created character, I love Michael Bennett. I love his family, his nan ...more
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson is one of my favorite authors, particularly when it comes to mystery & crime books. I am somewhat opposed to the whole "co-writing with other authors". I decided to research the reason for "co-writing" - I found this:

"In September 2009, Patterson signed a book deal to write or co-write 11 books for adults and six for young adults by the end of 2012. Forbes reported the deal was worth at least $150 million..."

The reason I am not a big
I will have to review this book as a stand alone since I have not read the first two in the series. In my defense, there was nothing in the case of this audio indicating that this was an installment (the only reason I found out was when I plugged it in at Goodreads as read). But now I finally figured out that Mr. Patterson is notorious for series so I'll have to keep that in mind when I come across his books. Though, that probably won't stop me from reading his books out of order. :)

This Mi
Nov 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only good thing about this book is the font size.
Jennie  Veazey
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the Michael Bennett series. The audible version was awesome as well!
Thomas Edmund
Patterson's and Ledwidge's Worst Case tells a tale of Michael Bennett, a veteran cop, as he pursues a serial kidnapper/murderer who targets the children of the super-rich.

And to be perfectly honest I the best way to describe Worst Case: Along Came a Spider, without the good bits. The plotline of Worst Case is effectively a string of kidnappings which all follow the same format. 1. Child disapears 2. Phone call 3. Find child dead.

There are the occasional deviations but nothing to get excited abou
Ty Desharnais
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson's Worst Case entranced me with its twisted attitude and unique writing style. This book shows us insight on Patterson's description of characters, the newest killer lurking the streets of New York and, of course, the interesting yet wonderful Michael Bennett.
Patterson has done it again with what I like to call his "one page chapters." Patterson has always had this unique way of making those reading his novels feel quite achomplished while reading his books which I myself, personally en
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worst case

Another triumph for James Patterson. I really enjoy his books. I love the different characters, my favorite being Michael Bennett of course. I really didn't want this one end so soon
I wanted to see what would happen between Bennett and Mary Catharines. Oh well I guess I'll find out in the next book. Happy reading everyone.
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in the Bennett series that I've read, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series.
It is not my favorite book in the Michael Bennett series, but I am glad that I read it. I still like Michael Bennett and will read the two books left in the series that I have not read.
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I relistened to this novel and liked it much better the second time than the first. 5 of 10 stars
Randy Tramp
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teenagers of wealthy families are being kidnapped and tested. Failing the test proves to be deadly.

Michael Bennett heads the investigation.

I love these stories, mostly, because of the ten children Bennett has. They're onry, loving to play tricks on people. Like when the phone rings.

The style of Patterson's books is quick and fast. Yet, so much is packed into each read. The characters are well-developed and enjoyable to be around.

Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Debbie Gatacre
This is my second book my Patterson and he is a
Good consistent storyteller . I like his detective books for a nice change after a heavy novel and a quick read.
Alayne Bushey
This is the third novel by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge involving NYPD Detective Michael Bennett. Bennett is a single father, with ten adopted children, an attractive live-in nanny, an abrasive humorous Irish priest for a grandfather, and a cat. He's got his hands full, to say the least. So when a killer with a pseudo-enviornmental/societal message starts kidnapping the children of uber-wealthy men and women in New York, and FBI Special Agent-with-a-great-figure Emily Parker flies into t ...more
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My mom- though she's probably read it
Recommended to Mallory by: Grama and Grampa Castaldo
I think that if I did not promise the grandparents I would read this I would not. I groan at the other three they handed me. When it comes to book recommendations I will have to stop being polite.

The book went something like:

Open with how the killer snaps. Aw- look he was human once too. He wanted to balance the world with love- on the streets of NYC. Look at the evils of society he will try to balance with blood.

Rich kid kidnapped.

Call cops. Get quirky Bennett with 10 kids. H
Don M.
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting perspective on things. The villain kidnaps teenage children from wealthy parents and gives them an exam to see if they are worthy of their station in life. As the cover says, if you fail the test - you die. It's a logical follow-up to the second book in the series "Run for Your Life" where adults are punished for being ill-mannered and inconsiderate of others (Sometimes it isn't hard to understand how this guys feels about the way people behave).

I enjoyed the crime s
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery_crime
It was an okay book. I think I probably would have appreciated some of the overall story arc progression more if I'd read the other books, but it's not necessary for the central mystery.

I thought the reason the victims were chosen was rather clever and it wasn't something I figured out for myself so that's always a plus.

I'm always a little nervous when the villain of the piece is a left wing extremest but I think this worked. Mostly. (view spoiler)
Lee Kyle
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For anyone who has read the other book in this cool lil series.
Recommended to Lee by: Kitchener library
I gave all the Patterson books i have read 5 stars as they were all worth that much. Worst Case i found the storyline to be so so. Being a huge fan of the show Criminal Minds is probably why i like the Michael Bennett series so much and that being said their was a few Criminal Minds episodes that were so so too so thats ok. In Worst Case we once again find super detective Michael Bennett still doing his bet to be super dad to his 10 adopted children now that he is a widower and still maintain hi ...more
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One by one, children of New York's wealthiest are taken hostage. But the criminal doesn't crave money or power—he only wants to ask the elite if they know the price others pay for their luxurious lifestyles. And, if they don't, he corrects their ignorance—by killing them.
To Detective Michael Bennett, it becomes clear that these murders are linked and must be part of a greater, more public demonstration. With the city thrown into chaos, he is forced to team up with FBI agent Emily Parker, and the
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another solid book from author James Patterson. I like his Michael Bennett series as much as, if not more than his Alex Cross series. It was riveting, fast-paced, and engaging. The only thing that seemed to make it less than perfect is the fact that the police officers (and FBI agent) only "screamed, cried, or yelled". They didn't seem to do anything else. I found that to be quite annoying. Other than that it was a good read, and one I would definitely tell Patterson fans to pick up. ...more
A vast improvement over the second book in the series, which itself was a vast improvement over the first one. WORST CASE features one of Patterson's most interesting villains, and it also marks the first time I've ever found myself taking an interest in Michael Bennett's personal life. The writing is a little better than what I've generally come to expect from Patterson books, and there are even one or two nice surprises. On the negative side, though, Michael Bennett's efforts contribute very l ...more
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished James Patterson's book 'Worst Case'. Now onto another one of his books.

It was a typical Patterson book in detail and interest for the reader. Although you knew all a long what was going to happen as end result it was still a good read.

It's good to see a character develop, where you can see the whole picture of that character. The detective in the novel is one Patterson used in his writing before. He really gets the reader involved in both this detective's work as well has his mixed up
Mary Anderson
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I need a good read for a snow day, I generally reach for James Patterson, David Baldacci,or Les Roberts because they never disappoint.

Worst Case by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge is the third book in the Michael Bennett detective series. I didn't know that when I picked it up. However, readers will not have to read the other two books in the series to follow along as this New York Detective takes on a child kidnapper with a social agenda. Bennett is a single father with 10 children --
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it . Another good one in this series !!
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
  • And Then There Was One
  • Whistleblower
  • Boys Will Be Boys
  • First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #4)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 375 million books worldwide and currently holds the Guinness World
More about James Patterson...

Michael Bennett (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)
  • Tick Tock (Michael Bennett, #4)
  • I, Michael Bennett (Michael Bennett, #5)
  • Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • Alert (Michael Bennett, #8)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)
  • Haunted (Michael Bennett, #10)
  • Ambush (Michael Bennett #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • The Cabin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Bones of Paris (Harris Stuyvesant, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99