Start by marking “Art & Max” as Want to Read:
Art & Max

Art & Max

Max and Arthur are friends who share an interest in painting. Arthur is an accomplished painter; Max is a beginner. Max’s first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind trip through various artistic media, which turn out to have unexpected pitfalls. Although Max is inexperienced, he’s courageous—and a quick learner. His energy and enthusiasm bring ...more
Published October 4th 2010 by Clarion Books

Start your review of Art & Max
Calista
This is a David Wiesner book so of course it’s a lot of fun. The colors are vivid and the imagination is sparkling. This story actually has words. Art is painting and having a lovely day, when Max comes along and wants to paint too. The trouble starts when Max asks what he should paint and Art says, ‘paint me.’ Max takes him literally and begins to paint him. Art gets mad and all kinds of zaniness begins. It’s a funny little story about lizards.

The stage is larger than life and imagination is th
Betsy
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Illustrators of children’s books are easier to deal with if you can lump them into little boxes. Multicultural family stories that tug at the heartstrings? That’s the Patricia Polacco box. Cute kids in period clothes frolicking with goats? Yup, that’s Tasha Tudor. So my problem with David Wiesner is that he throws my entire system off. Though his style is recognizable in each and every one of his books (Freefall, Sector 7, etc.) his storylines zigzag around the globe. One minute he has a book ab ...more
Jill
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!
Ellie Abrey
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations, a great story to share with a class.
Holly Hardwick
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading Art & Max by David Wiesner because of the beautiful and colorful illustrations throughout the story. The plot is simple enough: two lizard friends, Arthur and Max, are standing in their desert habitat and trying to paint. Arthur is annoyed with Max because Max doesn't seem to be a "real" painter like he is. Max is just excited to be given the opportunity to paint with his friend "Art." When Max tries to paint Arthur, however, comedy ensues.
I feel that students would r
Kaethe Douglas
Wiesner does the most amazing things with the picture book format. I'm dazzled by his virtuosity in so many styles. I'm awed by the humor he manages to imbue every picture with. If you haven't checked out any of his work, it's probably because you're an adult who doesn't read picture books, because they're for kids. Pish, tosh. There is a narrative here, but like the best cartoons, it's going to sail right over the heads of children. Go, get a stack of his books and just wallow in the artistry. ...more
Agnė
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining story full of metafictive humor, which celebrates art and introduces different artistic media and styles. Love love love the detailed, dynamic, colorful illustrations:

Lisa Mckay
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Art and Max are two best friend iguanas that have one thing in common: They love to paint! Now, the only difference is that Art is an excellent painter who takes life very seriously, and Max is a small less serious painter who always seems to get in Art's way.

As the story begins, Art had been working on his most recent piece when Max barged in his way asking what he should paint. Art seemly already bothered by his presence, quickly suggest "paint ME" without remembering how literal his friend w
Cris Ingram
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The pictures were colorful and realistic as usual for David Wiesner, but the story of the two lizards and their wacky paint day just didn't grab me, kids would like it because they are messy and no imagination is needed.
Tasha
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I always approach a new Wiesner book with huge expectations. I mean, this is the three-time Caldecott medalist! I guarantee this will not disappoint, no matter how high your expectations are.

Arthur is quite a painter. He does portraits of lizards as they pose for him. Max wants to learn and Arthur is willing to teach him. The first step is Max figuring out what to paint. Arthur grandly suggests that Max could paint him. So Max does exactly that, with deep blue and bright yellow, he paints Arthur
Todd Burleson
This review is one of my additional picture books for RLS 520

Art & Max written and illustrated by David Wiesner

This book is also a Monarch Award Nominee for 2013. I’m going to come right out and say it about this book: I don’t really like it. Now, let me explain why. The idea is quite simple and one that kids will love. Two friends Art(hur) and Max (both lizards) are standing in front of a canvas. Max insists that he can paint, just as well as Arthur, much to Arthur’s chagrin. The story goes on
Lisa Vegan
I love David Wiesner's books and I felt as though I waited forever for this one to be ready for me at the library.

I’ve loved a few of Wiesner’s wordless picture books; they’re brilliant.

This one I found very disappointing, much to my surprise. I didn’t like the cover illustration but I thought that it would get better, but for me it really didn’t.

I didn’t enjoy the art and, even though this book has words as well as illustrations, it is a picture book; in order to like it I have to better apprec
L12_sarah
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Art & Max is another wonderful picture book from David Wiesner. Max is a fumbling little lizard who sees his friend Arthur painting and wants to paint, too. When he asks Arthur what he should paint, Arthur suggests that Max paint him, as in paint his portrait. But, Max misinterprets and starts painting on Art, making Art into art! Arthur gets so angry at Max's antics that his outer shell explodes, revealing that his very skin has been dyed the colors of Max's paint! Max's attempts to "right" A ...more
Chelsea Hoschar
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Art and Max is a sweet and entertaining tale of two artists: one who is rather good and one that has alot of learning to do. As the story unfolds, Max comes upon Art completing a painting of another lizard. Max gets very excited at what he sees and decides that he really wants to paint his own picture. Art gets a little annoyed with Max, but lets him paint anyway. Max, however is unsure what his painting should be of, so he asks Art for advice. Art suggests that Max paint a picture of Art, excep ...more
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 added it
Wiesner, David. (2010). Art & Max. Illustrated by the author. Boston: Houghton Mifflin/Clarion. 32 pp. ISBN 978-0-618-75663-6. (Hardcover) $17.99.

David Wiesner’s picture books are treasures! I teach first grade, but I have always dreamed of working with high school students using Flotsam. I would love to have high school students write two polar opposite texts about what is happening in this book. Art & Max is another book in which older students will find much to appreciate, especially students
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There are many different kinds of artists. Arthur (Art for short) is a professional artist who includes a lot of detail in his paintings. Max on the other hand isn't exactly sure what to paint, or how. Even though Max is trying to prove to Art that he can paint too, he finds himself needing to ask Art what he should paint. Art replies, "You can paint me!" So he does and something terrifying and amazing happens to Art! As Max works on 'painting Art', Arthur learns that all art is different and th ...more
Mary Forest
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: david-wiesner
In the book Art & Max, Max joins art in painting but he doesn't know what to paint. He ends up paining on Art and they go on an adventure where Art becomes a canvas, and after the paint is all on Art he becomes angry and all the paint chips fall off and he is left with a new painted version of himself. Max then tried to dry him with a fan but Art becomes thirsty and on drinking the water the paint starts to melt off of Art, and he becomes just an outline of the animal he used to be. Max then pul ...more
Gianna Petrillo
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. 1st-3rd grade
2. This book is about two friends Arthur and Max. Max is a lizard and tries to copy Arthur and his painting. Max ends up making Arthur the painting and changing him to different colors, outlines and paintings.
3. I think students would like reading this book because it is a cute story and takes something that is impossible but makes it realistic. It also has great and funny dialogue between friends and the illustrations are very good.
4. I would only use this book for independent
Destinee Sutton
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, art
Fantastic art is a given with David Wiesner. So is the trippy ordinary-becomes-extraordinary thing. The only thing that holds me back from really loving Wiesner's books is that they can seem a little too serious, like they're art objects more than lovable stories. What I like about this particular David Wiesner book is the quirky sense of humor. Wiesner having fun! Yay!
Brittany
Sep 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book is about a young lizard learning how to paint. I would not use this book in my classroom, the story plot was dull, redundant and pointless. I don’t feel my students can gain anything from this book other then practicing reading. I do not recommend this book.
Melody
Nov 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Read in the bookstore, thankfully. I would have been even more disappointed had I bought it. The story was nothing new, the art was not the sort of thing I dig, and the lizards were just annoying. I see that I'm in the minority of reviewers, but this book didn't work for me at all.
midnightfaerie
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. Beautiful illustrations! A great addition to any children's library.
Meredith
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! And not just because my son's name is Arthur. Two friends, one magically fantastic goof up and beautiful, fantastical drawings make this book a lovely read aloud or read for youngsters.
Rachel
Sep 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't really like this book. I found the dialogue between the two characters quite hard to follow and whilst the illustrations were colourful, I felt there was too much going on on each page.

This book would be for children aged 4-5 I think.
Elisabeth
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Gorgeous illustrations (of course) but the text and story were clunky and almost read like captions to his illustrations. I get why so many of his books are wordless!
Dianna
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
The illustrations are beautiful and the book is very creative, and the characters are fun, but it crossed the weirdness line for me. I also found it a bit hard to follow in spots.
June
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
Shelves: picture-book, art
One of my top 2 favorite picture books of 2010. (I'm still have a few I'm trying to get my hands on.) Wiesner out did himself. Ingenious.
Isobel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two lizards love to paint and are very artistic. The illustrations are beautiful with bright and vibrant colours. The book is a message which teaches children about the importance of friendship.
Rachel Hoeck
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Art & Max by David Wiesner is a story about two lizards painting. Arthur knows how to paint and Max wants Arthur to teach him how to paint. Arthur eventually agrees to teach Max as long as Max stays out of the way. However, accidently, Max does quite the opposite. Upon painting he strips Arthur of his texture, color, and his structure. Eventually, Art is a pile of lines. Will Art be able to put Max back together?

The main characters in the story are Arthur and Max. Both characters are round becau
Patrick Matthew
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imagine a scenario in which you are forced to put back together a friend, and the only reason why you are in this position, is from your own negligence. The pressure is on as you're forced to go inch by inch and remember how they look, cobbling them from nothing more than a bundle of lines strewn about on the floor in front of you. High drama and bone chilling adventures like that awaits in the book "Art and Max" by David Wiesner.

While I may have embellished just a bit, "Art and Max" still cont

• This Moose Belongs to Me
  • Duck! Rabbit!
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • The Most Magnificent Thing
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre