Start by marking “When You Reach Me” as Want to Read:
When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  70,769 Ratings  ·  10,014 Reviews
By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it's safe to go, like the local grocery store, and they know whom to avoid, like the crazy guy on the corner.
Audiobook, Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Published May 15th 2010 by Random House (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about When You Reach Me, please sign up.

Shirley Interstellar Pig - William Sleator
(less)

karen
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
a super short review, karenstyle!!

someday, i am going to venture down to the second floor where the kids/teen section is and i am going to grab a whole bunch of books that i like and i am going to just shelve them in my adult fiction section because the young'uns shouldn't get to hog everything that is good in this world and also not have to pay rent, and there is something creepy about a 35 year old man browsing the shelves in teen fiction.* i am doing everyone a favor here.

this book is great.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Pinky

I know now that if I want to be completely surprised, I just have to read middle school books. Ironically, books for kids seem to have the most profound meanings. This book is sunshine and sunset combined- beautiful and heartbreaking.

Coincidentally, I just read a sci-fi story about time travel before this. It was technically well explained but I don’t know why I wasn’t so impressed. This adorable little book talks about time travel too and is absolutely enthralling. It didn’t have to try so har
Cara
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ginny
One of the most impressive things to me about middle grade literature is how much power their books can punch with so little pages. It still astounds me. As older people I guess we tend to over explain and over analyze. Thank goodness there are authors that can still capture the feel of being a kid growing up and how simultaneously painful and wonderful it can be.

Miranda is a sixth grader who lives in New York City. Her life seems pretty normal. She has a best friend named Sal but that all chang
Lisa Vegan
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A Wrinkle in Time fans; 9 to adult; those who enjoy time travel, NYC, 1979, 12 yr old girls
First I have to say that A Wrinkle in Time has been my favorite or among my very favorite books since I was nine years old, and I’ve never been able to write a true or worthy review for it; I can’t even try.

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of books I wish I’d written. Occasionally, I come across a book I should have written. This is a book I definitely should have written. It touched me to the core in that incredibly familiar way that seems to come from within, not the outside. Some details are
Betsy
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been struggling over how to begin this review. I want to get it exactly right. I want to convey to you precisely what it is that I mean to say. If you’ve read any of my reviews before then you know that I like lots of stuff. There is, quite frankly, a lot of stuff out there to like. So what I have to do here is convey to you just how this book is, pretty much, one of the best children’s books I have ever read. Here’s an idea. Have you not heard of When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead? Well no ...more
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : When You Reach Me - Nevisande : Rebecca Stead - ISBN : 385737424 - ISBN13 : 9780385737425 - Dar 199 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2009
Pinky
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, just beautiful! I loved this book so much! The writing style was marvelous, I loved the main character. So many people told me to read this book and I finally did. The plot was different and unique. This is how I found out about this book.

2 Days Ago...

I was sitting at my desk in Tec class and I was reading the last book in the Mistborn Trilogy. When I was at the most intense scene, someone poked me on the shoulder.
"WOAH," I screamed. I was terrified, but I should have known it was
Cassy
I almost did not read this book. I knew it was targeted for a younger audience, but I didn’t realize just how young. I kept vainly searching for it in the teenagers’ section (where I was already a bit embarrassed to be spotted). When I realized I would have to go inside the children’s section at B&N, I wavered. The little chairs. The colored foam titles on the floor. The stuffed animals. It’s all cute, but could one of those books satisfy me?

It probably deserves more than three stars. But it
Samantha
Newbery Winner 2010
#2 on Barnes & Noble's Top Ten Children's Books of 2009
Maine Student Book Award Nominee 2010-2011

I feel like I'm missing something because every other review seems to be five stars. I liked the book. How could I not, when it references A Wrinkle in Time so often. I personally found the mystery to be easily solved. I like how the author weaved the clues in, but I found it to be very obvious and knew from the beginning from the book who it was and how it would work. I'm not
Donalyn
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a sixth grader in 1979. In seventh grade, I wrote a book report on A Wrinkle In Time, which remains on my favorite books-of-all-time list to this day. I have not read L'Engle's classic in a long time. The books we love from childhood are as much about who we were when we read them as it is about the books themselves. I suppose I fear that I won't enjoy A Wrinkle In Time as much as I did when I was twelve.

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me might change my mind.

The book takes place in 1979, a
9B Blogs: WHEN YOU REACH ME - Rebecca Stead (Alexandra Lakkis) 2 9 Nov 28, 2017 04:01PM
The Issue of Time Travel 18 136 Nov 16, 2017 03:39PM
Future Teachers, ...: Ashly Stover, Book Review #5 1 3 Nov 01, 2016 08:33PM
Great Middle Grad...: * Book of the Month for June (1) WHEN YOU REACH ME 26 62 Aug 20, 2016 01:31PM
  • The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
  • Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • Moon Over Manifest
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • Dead End in Norvelt
  • One Crazy Summer (Gaither Sisters, #1)
  • The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate, #1)
  • Tales From Silver Lands
  • Under the Egg
  • The Underneath
  • Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • The Wednesday Wars
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • Up a Road Slowly
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • Roller Skates
I love books but don't feel like stars capture what I want to say about them. Many of the books on my list are, in my opinion, amazing. Some I didn't like. But I give them all five stars, because stars make people - including me -- happy. Confused? Me too.

If you want to talk about any book I've read, I'm here.
More about Rebecca Stead...
“Well, it's simple to love someone," she said. "But it's hard to know when you need to say it out loud.” 280 likes
“Mom says each of us has a veil between ourselves and the rest of the world, like a bride wears on her wedding day, except this kind of veil is invisible. We walk around happily with these invisible veils hanging down over our faces. The world is kind of blurry, and we like it that way. But sometimes our veils are pushed away for a few moments, like there's a wind blowing it from our faces. And when the veil lifts, we can see the world as it really is, just for those few seconds before it settles down again. We see all the beauty, and cruelty, and sadness, and love. But mostly we are happy not to. Some people learn to lift the veil themselves. Then they don't have to depend on the wind anymore.” 248 likes