Start by marking “Asking for Trouble” as Want to Read:
Asking for Trouble

Asking for Trouble

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Not every crime is committed with intent, but each has one thing in common: the guilty party was asking for trouble.

In �Making Ends Meet,� Richard can�t stand the idea of supporting his deadbeat in-laws anymore, so he decides to remove them from his life � permanently. Matt is ready to reform his brawling ways, but the group he joins doesn�t turn out to be a typical 12-ste
Kindle Edition, 1st Electronic
Published April 14th 2010 (first published March 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Asking for Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asking for Trouble

Debbi Mack
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All it takes is one bad decision to send a person down the wrong path. And, as the introduction to this anthology points out "[n:]ot every decision belongs to the criminally minded. Some belong to the ill-informed, the weak and the plain unlucky. In these tales, trouble isn't an indiscriminate force of nature. It's a manmade occurrence that comes when called upon."

As indicated, the people in Simon Wood's ASKING FOR TROUBLE aren't (for the most part) particularly evil. They're under some form of
Kathleen Hagen
Asking for Trouble, by Simon Wood, b-plus, Narrated by Luke Daniels and Amy McFadden, Produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is a group of short stories. I normally don’t read short stories, so if I had realized in advance that these were short stories I probably wouldn’t have read “Asking for Trouble” and I would have missed out on ten short but effective thrillers.
Publisher’s note:
Not every crime is committed with intent, but each has one thing in common: The guilty pa
Paul Penney
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short story collections I have ever read! I enjoy short stories now and then, as a break from full-length novels, but I find many anthologies to be hit-and-miss, with some of the stories being kinda lame. Even those by my favorite authors rarely satisfy with every single story. This is a pleasing exception. Wood has put together 10 well-written, creative stories, with absolutely no filler. All 10 are brilliant. A few made me smile, and one even made me shout "Yes!" out loud. Luck ...more
Kathy LeJeune
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I grew up reading short stories by Alfred Hitchcock and I still read AH!!! Simon’s short stories are reminds me of AH. Scary, page turners and gets the hair standing up on the back of your neck. The first book I read by Simon was Working Stiffs and I was hooked. I have read all of his books and I recommend them if you like suspense and action.
My favorite way to describe him is Ken Bruen’s comment “Simon writes like a dark, demented Angel”. He is correct!!
Asking for Trouble will give you that pa
Joel
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent set of crime stories with great twist endings!
Kelly
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and twisted

A compilation of short stories that highlight bad judgment in the extreme. For those with a dark side, this is a highly entertaining book. It was train wreck after train wreck, and I couldn't look away! Quick stories that will leave you shaking your head.
Nancy Silk
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Great Stories Full of Surprises"

This is a collection of 10 heart-throbbing stories written by award winning author Simon Wood. His stories are always thrilling, fast-paced, and well written. These stories are crime thrillers with twists and turns which will surprise you.. Simon really knows how to captivate his readers. Highly recommend.
Steve O'Keefe
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally written July 11, 2011.

I read Asking For Trouble today in the "Jury Lounge" while waiting for my name to be called for my civic duties. Fortunately, I was not selected because no case could possibly be as interesting as the crimes Mr. Wood presents here. This is the first time I have read any of his work and I was very impressed by his ability to write in the short story format. Wood strips down these tales to the bare essentials, with each word carrying lots of weight. My greatest com
Apr 05, 2016 is currently reading it
This turned out to be short stories which I don't like that much; I want more involvement with the story and characters I am reading about. That being said, the first 2 stories are very good, well crafted and satisfying members of the short story genre. I'll continue reading when the mood hits me.
Delores
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting short stories, but I do prefer his novels, as there is more time to get to know the characters. I listed to an audible version and enjoyed the reader, too.
Matt Stolhand
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Simon Wood is a master story teller. His short story collections are up there with Stephen King. Great, Great, Great
Steve Black
OK but nothing special.Many of the stories were predictable.
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
This is a collection of short stories. I didn't realise until I started reading it. I got this via Kindle Unlimited so it didn't matter and they will be ideal for reading during breaks at work.
Diane
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great selection of short stories with humorous and macabre twists. Reads like Tales From the Crypt. Great job. I hardly EVER like every short story in a collection.
Susanne Shipley
  • The Kalinka Affair: A Father's Hunt for His Daughter's Killer
  • Alexandra
  • Marching Bands Are Just Homeless Orchestras
  • Crack-Up
  • Half-Safe: A Story of Love, Obsession, and History's Most Insane Around-the-world Adventure
  • Lake Charles
  • Crime Stories and Other Writings
  • Don't Eat Cat
  • King City
  • Omaha Beach: D-Day, June 6, 1944
Simon Wood is a California transplant from England. He's an ex-competitive racecar driver, a licensed pilot and an occasional private investigator. He shares his world with his American wife, Julie. Their lives are dominated by a longhaired dachshund and five cats. In the last ten years, he's had over 150 stories and articles published. His stories have been included in “Best of” anthologies and h ...more
More about Simon Wood...