Start by marking “The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld #8)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)

The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld #8)

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,111 Ratings  ·  934 Reviews
Possessed by the demon of Defeat, Strider cannot lose a challenge without suffering unimaginable pain. For him, nothing stands in the way of victory. Until Kaia, an enchanting Harpy, tempts him to the razor's edge of surrender.

Known among her people as The Disappointment, Kaia must bring home the gold in the Harpy Games or die. Strider is a distraction she can't afford bec
Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Surrender

Exina
He held fire in his arms and he desperately wanted to be burned.

The Darkest Surrender is the eighth installment of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Strider, Keeper of Defeat a.k.a. the Beautiful Moron and Kaia the Irritating Harpy Who Stole the Story of Strider.

I’m mad at Kaia because The Darkest Surrender is mainly about her. About her fatal, stupid mistake at the age of 14, about her lost reputation, her ostracism, her relationship with his mother, her struggle to
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Sep 23, 2011 Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Michelle
Sep 18, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3 Defeated Stars!
This is the eighth book in the Lords of the Underworld series. It was Strider and Kaia's story.
I knew going in that this was probably not going to be a favorite of mine. I never had warmed up to Strider for some reason. He just seemed a bit silly to me. You would think that someone that had to win every challenge ever issued would be a Mr no nonsense type of guy. He wasn't IMO. lol
Strider is the keeper of defeat. He HAS to win every challenge or he will be in serious pain. He's
Catherine
Yet another fun episode in the Lords of the Underworld series. I’ve noticed that word crops up almost every time I write a review for one of Showalter’s books—fun. The characters are always so funny, and even when they don’t get along, their dislike of each other always includes funny situations and verbal sparring.

I was a little uncertain of Kaia and Strider as a couple. I wasn’t exactly thrilled to have one of the protagonists have a sexual history with the other protagonist’s friend, but the
valee
Oct 06, 2011 valee rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

I did like it... It's just that thought I would like it so MUCH FREAKING MORE! I mean, I have been waiting to read a book about one of the Harpies since forever and I thought it would be much better than what it actually was. I still adore the plot and the characters so it's extremely hard to rate a book in this series with a lower rating than 4 stars, still I'm a bit disappointed...

I did like Strider, I know many just thought he was too egocentric and vane, but I think he was sweet and
Shawna
4 -5 stars – Paranormal Romance

GAWD this cover is gorgeous!

And Strider? He’s a sexy, snarky, narcissistic, surprisingly sweet, possessive, protective, and all around badass, fun-loving warrior. His constant need for challenge to assuage his demon of Defeat and egotistical inner dialogue is freaking hilarious. He’s one of my favorite Lords and Kaia the Kick-Ass (my chosen nickname for her) Harpy is just perfect for him. Darkest Surrender is a great addition to the LOTU series.

“You are not Kaia th
Dawn Ang
Finally got around to finishing this book--which really says a great deal about what I thought about it. Despite being extremely excited for Strider and Kaia's story I found this addition to the series to be anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong; the romance story arc between Strider and Kaia was tons of fun as, one would expect, but the plot in this book does not connect well with the general plot of the series. In "The Darkest Surrender" Showalter sets aside the main antagonists thus far, the Hunt
Ren
Don't bother to ask me why I give such a low rating for this. Because I'm still mourning.

Yeah, you hear me right, I never hate LOTU. I love LOTU with all my heart. Even I translated one of the book of this series, The Darkest Pleasure. And that's like a gift for me. But this book make me cry, in a bad way.

I despise Strider. I hate that his personality change so much. He seems funny and entertaining in the beginning. I love the scene at The Darkest Kiss, when he shoot Lucien at bed, after Lucien
Leah
I remember when I first heard Strider and Kaia were being paired together. It was a bad day for me. I pretty much freaked out. I was hoping for the Amun/Kaia and Strider/Haidee pairings. However, I learned with Amun and Haidee's book that I should have just trusted Gena in the first place. That lesson has been completely reinforced with this book. There is no way that Strider or Kaia could be with anyone other than each other. They are quite simply, perfect for each other. Looking back, I can't ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I want to steal 5 things from Kaia:

1. Her Sumo wrestler coffee table
2. Strider
3. Her hula lamp
4. Strider
5. Her sofa that has legs on the armrests.

Yes, as you can see I lovedboth Kaia's decorating style and her man. But then who can resist Strider the Keeper of Defeat? Face of an angel,body od a god and the sense of humour of a devil. I am panting just thinking about it! But Strider does have a weakness, he can't lose a single challange otherwise he suffers debilitating agony, and Kaia is extreme
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
5+ Stars I LOVED IT!!!!

Where to begin, where to begin.......

Is it just me, or is this series becoming better, hotter,and so addicting?! Holy Smokes! I've waiting so long for Strider's novel, little did I know it came with a bonus. Kaia! What other person could challenge Strider and mean it? Looks like Mr. King of the freaking world, now has his own personnel sidekick. Strider and Kaia are made for each other.AWESOME! Defeat and Harpy, no way denying them.

Let the games begin!

In all honesty, did
Chippy *Moves Like Jagger* Marco
2 1/5 STARS.

I am &^%$$$##%^()(*&&^^RT$#@@#$ annoyed that the author ruined the ultimate cool Strider's book! It doesn't even deserve this score, but I can't bring myself to give a book about Strider a low mark. He is so great, she should've done him justice! It's Strider, and she ruined it!

I need to walk away and breathe before I give it a lower mark. Paris' book better be GOOD or I'm going to do this to the series...

description

Laura the Highland Hussy
Oct 30, 2011 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing

4.5 flames
Strider, one of my favorite Lords, finally found his match. Kaia, Harpy extraordinaire, has known for a while now that Strider was her Consort. Too bad he doesn’t want anything to do with her.
Strider’s book was awesome, almost as awesome as Strider himself, oh ego-check ;) You’ll catch Strider doing those ego-checks throughout just to remind himself that oh wait, it’s not ego if it’s true. He was a fun hero to have. The only thing that drove me n
~E~ Riverina Romantics
Oct 12, 2011 ~E~ Riverina Romantics rated it it was amazing

Gena is a champion. If I was stranded on a deserted island with her I would totally ‘tap that’.....well I’d ‘tap that’ occasionally......whenever I unchained her from the writing desk I would miraculously find so that she could continue to write these phenomenal stories.

The Darkest Surrender was another fan-fucking-tastic edition to one of my all time favourite series.

Strider is sooooo damn edible. I want to start at his sexy muscled stomach and work my way out, stopping at the extra h
Bobs (Reader Unbound)
Nov 10, 2011 Bobs (Reader Unbound) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read-list
OHHH-MYYY-GAAWWWD!This is gonna be HOT!
And I have to wait until September?!?! Have you have no heart Ms. Showalter ?!
I am so excited about this book. I love the possessive nature that Kaia showed in the The Darkest Secret & the way she almost went harpy when she smelt the peach flavor on Strider. *sigh*
I have always been a sucker for the possessive characters and now I will have the exclusive chance to read about two people both with a possessive beheavior. I can tell I will love this !
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Strider and Kaia are both such great characters. I loved them from the moment they were introduced. But for some reason, I didn’t fall hard for them in their book. Don’t get me wrong, I liked them.

If you asked what I didn’t like about this book, I don’t think I could tell you. I am honestly having a really tough time putting my feelings into words. Because while this book was entertaining, I just don’t think it was what I was expecting. So in a pathetic effort to make sense of my thoug
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
This is the story of Strider who is possessed by the Demon of Defeat and Kaia, a harpy who comes into an interesting "other" power. If you've been reading all the books, you know that Kaia has been after Strider for quite some time but for some reason, Strider has resisted. There were a lot of great and funny lines in this book and the part about the necklace at the end was sooo sweet! Way to go, Stridey!

I do have to say that I really enjoyed the Kaia and Strider moments but they were too long
Christina
Nov 20, 2011 Christina rated it it was ok
Shelves: demons, pnr, mythology
First, let me say I love the LOTU series. Since Strider is my favorite Lord, I had high expectations. Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed. I was bored throughout most of the book.

The book starts off explaining how Kaia gets her nickname "Kaia the disappointment"(what a fitting nickname). Kaia and her sisters were invited to compete in the Harpy Games (basically last harpy standing). Kaia not only needs to win in order to shed her nickname but she also faces her greatest enemy from previo
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Nov 10, 2011 Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LOTU and PNR fans
Gena Showalter is one of my all time favorite authors. The worlds that creates are so real that one can't help but get swept away while reading about them. She never disappoints me. The Darkest surrender is just one more fantastic example of this!

To tell you the truth I had my reservations about this installment of the Lord's series. Strider wasn't exactly one of my favorite characters. He seemed way too egotistical to me and that didn't exactly float my boat you know what I mean? In this book t
Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
Oct 17, 2011 Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ rated it did not like it
Dreamer
Oct 29, 2014 Dreamer rated it it was amazing
Do you know the feeling when you read a series for a long time and you just stop feeling like a reader and start feeling more like a character ?! I'm a part of the Lords Of The Underworld family, I'm not kidding...Really...I'm not.
Kaia is Bianka's twin and Gwen's older sister, she is more like Bianka though a bit devilish, funny, strong, witty...A Harpy basically !
She has slept with Paris and for that reason only Strider is being an ass to her ! As we know our Stridey Man is a wee bit possessive
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I didn't care much for Strider early on in this series. It wasn't until The Darkest Secret that I ever really gave him much thought at all. Here, he charms me utterly with his over-inflated ego and inner dialogue. And while that may not sound all that attractive, I found him more endearing that I ever expected that I could.

As the story begins, Strider is working hard to resist his attraction to Kaia. At the end of the last book, she revealed that he is her consort, but he rejected her outright.
Jenny
Sep 20, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS
The Darkest Surrender is the latest foray in the the realm of the Lords of the Underworld, a group of damaged and tortured alpha men so brilliantly executed their stories play out in crisp detail in our minds while our emotions are teased, tested, and tormented. Many times in a series of this length the books can become tired, following a set formula with characters and conflicts substituted in each installment, but Ms. Showalter manages to avoid this pitfall and keep us invested on e
Panichaya
LAST UPDATE: 09/23/11

I didn't take it very well when I first found out that Strider will be paired with Kaia. Don't misunderstand me, I love Kaia a lot, she's one of my most favorite female characters in this series. But I just felt so much chemistry between Strider and Haidee in the Darkest Lie, so I was just hoping for that pairing...but...

Gena has done it again!!! I went to Jewels Osco today and found many copies of the Darkest Secret and I stood there skimming through it for at least 30 minu
Hbeebti
Nov 16, 2015 Hbeebti rated it it was amazing
What a surprise , I loved it! Strider and Kaia cracked me up. They were so great for each other. I love the side stories of Kane, William and Paris. Great set ups for whats about to go down. I cant wait!! I miss the Underworld girls in this book though. I had a small glimpse of Anya and then plenty of Kaia sisters who were funny as hell. I loved how many times Strider had to give himself an ego check. That man loves himself. Thankfully he loved Kaia more. lol.. For some odd reason every-time his ...more
Carla-Book Monster Reviews
Jan 11, 2012 Carla-Book Monster Reviews rated it it was amazing
Review by Carla

The Darkest Surrender is the eighth installment in the LORDS OF THE UNDERWORLD series and one of the best so far. This is another of my favorite series that I have been following since the first book was released and every book just gets better and better. Every book is action packed, humorous, and full of some seriously hot romance and has me clamoring for the next release.

Strider was never one of my favorite "Lords" with his snarky comments and HUGE ego, but after reading this b
Saly
Jun 29, 2012 Saly rated it really liked it
MAJOR SPOILERS, BE WARNED

Strider the keeper of Defeat has come across as kind of a dick, which he can’t help because of his demon he has to come on top always even if that means fighting with his friends. He has lusted after the Harpy Kaia but has been unkind to her, because he knows she has been with Paris and he doesn’t want to compete plus her Harpy nature will cause everything to be a challenge.

He sums up his feelings in these words

“Of course, the thought caused guilt to eat at him. Kaia was
Tigris Eden
Aug 30, 2011 Tigris Eden rated it it was amazing
Mel
The Darkest Surrender (as Kaia would say) is made of awesome. And dipped in awesome. And sprinkled with awesome.

Considering the fact that Gideon is my favorite of the Lords I honestly didn't think I'd find a book in this series that I enjoyed more than The Darkest Lie. I was wrong. Guess it makes sense, Strider is the keeper of Defeat after all.

Strider and Kaia make the best matched couple yet and I loved their story. Oh and I wanna be a Harpy when I grow up. They are some ruthless, scary bitch
Lauren
Oct 04, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
The Darkest Surrender is sinfully delicious!
The 8th installment of the fabulous Lords of the Underworld didn't disappoint but then I don't think the talented Gena Showalter could ever disappoint with those hot and drop dead sexy demon lords.

Strider is possessed by the demon of defeat. He must win his challenges or face immense pain. Kaia a feisty harpy believes Strider is her consort and will do just about anything to make him believe that.

Their journey is one violent and sexy mess. After Str
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Surrender (LOTU #8) 20 92 Sep 28, 2013 06:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add narrator 2 12 Jun 04, 2013 08:00PM
Great Addition to the LOTU (Something I noticed I have not seen mentioned) 13 159 Jan 06, 2013 09:49PM
bit random but fun! 2 31 Oct 20, 2012 06:35AM
PNR/UF Addicts & ...: Contest and giveaway 1 20 Oct 03, 2011 01:59AM
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark #11)
  • Tempted (Eternal Guardians, #3)
  • Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10)
  • Adam (Nightwalkers, #6)
  • Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)
  • The Darkest Touch (Lords of the Underworld #11)

“That's because I'm made of awesome."

"And dipped in awesome."

"And sprinkled with awesome."

"Gods, I love the taste of awesome.”
196 likes