Start by marking “The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld #8)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)

The Darkest Surrender

(Lords of the Underworld #8)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  28,481 ratings  ·  1,066 reviews
Possessed by the demon of Defeat, Strider cannot lose a challenge without suffering unimaginable pain. For him, nothing stands in the way of victory. Until Kaia, an enchanting Harpy, tempts him to the razor's edge of surrender.

Known among her people as The Disappointment, Kaia must bring home the gold in the Harpy Games or die. Strider is a distraction she can'
Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by HQN Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Surrender

·  28,481 ratings  ·  1,066 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld #8)
My love for Kaia and Strider has grown so much since the first time I read them, it’s ridiculously amazing.

Kaia is so spectacular and Strider is so great and supporting, arg! They are, without a doubt, my favorite couple so far! They’re goals.

And let me tell you that holy damn, Harpies are so freaking cool in this narrative I just wish for a spin-off focusing solely on them.
Sophia Triad
Strider: Demon of Defeat
Butterfly: on his left hip
His curse: He has to win no matter the cost. If he does not win any kind of challenge, he will feel intense physical agony, extreme pain for days.

Kaia Skyhawk or Kaia the Disappointment: A Harpy
Supernatural ability: She is an immortal and very strong. Harpies are much stronger and much deadlier than Lords. Her extra personal strength comes from the control of fire.

Strider…. One word for him: WIN!
He is THE male with the biggest EGO. So proud of hi/>Kaia
Exina
He held fire in his arms and he desperately wanted to be burned.

The Darkest Surrender is the eighth installment of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Strider, Keeper of Defeat a.k.a. the Beautiful Moron and Kaia the Irritating Harpy Who Stole the Story of Strider.

I’m mad at Kaia because The Darkest Surrender is mainly about her. About her fatal, stupid mistake at the age of 14, about her lost reputation, her ostracism, her relationship with his mother,class="gr-hostedUserImg">
I’mstars
The
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Michelle
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3 Defeated Stars!
This is the eighth book in the Lords of the Underworld series. It was Strider and Kaia's story.
I knew going in that this was probably not going to be a favorite of mine. I never had warmed up to Strider for some reason. He just seemed a bit silly to me. You would think that someone that had to win every challenge ever issued would be a Mr no nonsense type of guy. He wasn't IMO. lol
Strider is the keeper of defeat. He HAS to win every challenge or he will be in s
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Δεύτερη φορά που το διαβάζω και το λάτρεψα το ίδιο!!
(Η κριτική που ακολουθεί (στα αγγλικά) είναι από την πρώτη φορά που το διάβασα και δε θα την αλλάξω)

************************************

What can I say about “The Darkest Surrender” the eighth book in the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter??? It was AWESOME!!

Yeah, it’s true. After so many books in this series the book number eight is GREAT! My personal opinion is that is one of the BEST in the s
Deborah Obida
Its official, this is now my favourite book in the series and Strider my favourite Lord. Everything about this book surpassed all the others for me.

Strider is cooler than the other Lords, he is confident, egotistical, competitive, stubborn and hot, unlike the rest he doesn't feel guilty or thinks he deserved the punishment, he even loves the demon, except when he looses a challenge and is in pain, since he is possessed by the demon of defeat, he experience pain anytime he looses a be
Catherine
Yet another fun episode in the Lords of the Underworld series. I’ve noticed that word crops up almost every time I write a review for one of Showalter’s books—fun. The characters are always so funny, and even when they don’t get along, their dislike of each other always includes funny situations and verbal sparring.

I was a little uncertain of Kaia and Strider as a couple. I wasn’t exactly thrilled to have one of the protagonists have a sexual history with the other protagonist’s friend, but the author actually pulled it offbooks—.
valee
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

I did like it... It's just that thought I would like it so MUCH FREAKING MORE! I mean, I have been waiting to read a book about one of the Harpies since forever and I thought it would be much better than what it actually was. I still adore the plot and the characters so it's extremely hard to rate a book in this series with a lower rating than 4 stars, still I'm a bit disappointed...

I did like Strider, I know many just thought he was too egocentric and vane, but I think
Shawna
4 -5 stars – Paranormal Romance

GAWD this cover is gorgeous!

And Strider? He’s a sexy, snarky, narcissistic, surprisingly sweet, possessive, protective, and all around badass, fun-loving warrior. His constant need for challenge to assuage his demon of Defeat and egotistical inner dialogue is freaking hilarious. He’s one of my favorite Lords and Kaia the Kick-Ass (my chosen nickname for her) Harpy is just perfect for him. Darkest Surrender is a great addition to the LOTU series.

“You are not Kaia the Disappointment. Do you hear me? That’s whseries.
“YouRomance
Leah
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I remember when I first heard Strider and Kaia were being paired together. It was a bad day for me. I pretty much freaked out. I was hoping for the Amun/Kaia and Strider/Haidee pairings. However, I learned with Amun and Haidee's book that I should have just trusted Gena in the first place. That lesson has been completely reinforced with this book. There is no way that Strider or Kaia could be with anyone other than each other. They are quite simply, perfect for each other. Looking back, I can't ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I want to steal 5 things from Kaia:

1. Her Sumo wrestler coffee table
2. Strider
3. Her hula lamp
4. Strider
5. Her sofa that has legs on the armrests.

Yes, as you can see I lovedboth Kaia's decorating style and her man. But then who can resist Strider the Keeper of Defeat? Face of an angel,body od a god and the sense of humour of a devil. I am panting just thinking about it! But Strider does have a weakness, he can't lose a single challange otherwise he
Dawn Ang
Finally got around to finishing this book--which really says a great deal about what I thought about it. Despite being extremely excited for Strider and Kaia's story I found this addition to the series to be anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong; the romance story arc between Strider and Kaia was tons of fun as, one would expect, but the plot in this book does not connect well with the general plot of the series. In "The Darkest Surrender" Showalter sets aside the main antagonists thus far, the Hunt
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
5+ Stars I LOVED IT!!!!

Where to begin, where to begin.......

Is it just me, or is this series becoming better, hotter,and so addicting?! Holy Smokes! I've waiting so long for Strider's novel, little did I know it came with a bonus. Kaia! What other person could challenge Strider and mean it? Looks like Mr. King of the freaking world, now has his own personnel sidekick. Strider and Kaia are made for each other.AWESOME! Defeat and Harpy, no way denying them.

Let the games begin!<
Ren Puspita
Don't bother to ask me why I give such a low rating for this. Because I'm still mourning.

Yeah, you hear me right, I never hate LOTU. I love LOTU with all my heart. Even I translated one of the book of this series, The Darkest Pleasure. And that's like a gift for me. But this book make me cry, in a bad way.

I despise Strider. I hate that his personality change so much. He seems funny and entertaining in the beginning. I love the scene at The Darkest Kiss, when he shoot Lucien at bed, aft
Chippy Marco
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
2 1/5 STARS.

I am &^%$$$##%^()(*&&^^RT$#@@#$ annoyed that the author ruined the ultimate cool Strider's book! It doesn't even deserve this score, but I can't bring myself to give a book about Strider a low mark. He is so great, she should've done him justice! It's Strider, and she ruined it!

I need to walk away and breathe before I give it a lower mark. Paris' book better be GOOD or I'm going to do this to the series...

2 1/5 STARS.

description

Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing

4.5 flames
Strider, one of my favorite Lords, finally found his match. Kaia, Harpy extraordinaire, has known for a while now that Strider was her Consort. Too bad he doesn’t want anything to do with her.
Strider’s book was awesome, almost as awesome as Strider himself, oh ego-check ;) You’ll catch Strider doing those ego-checks throughout just to remind himself that oh wait, it’s not ego if it’s true. He was a fun hero to have. The only thing that drove me nuts was the H
Riverina Romantics
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Gena is a champion. If I was stranded on a deserted island with her I would totally ‘tap that’.....well I’d ‘tap that’ occasionally......whenever I unchained her from the writing desk I would miraculously find so that she could continue to write these phenomenal stories.

The Darkest Surrender was another fan-fucking-tastic edition to one of my all time favourite series.

Strider is sooooo damn edible. I want to start at his sexy muscled stomach and work my way out,
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Strider and Kaia are both such great characters. I loved them from the moment they were introduced. But for some reason, I didn’t fall hard for them in their book. Don’t get me wrong, I liked them.

If you asked what I didn’t like about this book, I don’t think I could tell you. I am honestly having a really tough time putting my feelings into words. Because while this book was entertaining, I just don’t think it was what I was expecting. So in a pathetic effort to make sense
The Anxious Bookaholic
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read-list
OHHH-MYYY-GAAWWWD!This is gonna be HOT!
And I have to wait until September?!?! Have you have no heart Ms. Showalter ?!
I am so excited about this book. I love the possessive nature that Kaia showed in the The Darkest Secret & the way she almost went harpy when she smelt the peach flavor on Strider. *sigh*
I have always been a sucker for the possessive characters and now I will have the exclusive chance to read about two people both with a possessive beheavior. I can tell I will love this !
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
It seems this author looked around and couldn't find a fmc to put up with Strider so she saddled poor Kaia with him

In every previous couple-up demon and warrior knew there was something special about the h from the moment they met. Strider the dick, lusted after Kaia as did Kane, Paris and William but at no time did it seem that she was anything special to him. As a matter of fact the s.o.b wanted Haidee more than he wanted Kaia but we're told here the reason he never pursued her is
Christina
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr, demons, mythology
First, let me say I love the LOTU series. Since Strider is my favorite Lord, I had high expectations. Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed. I was bored throughout most of the book.

The book starts off explaining how Kaia gets her nickname "Kaia the disappointment"(what a fitting nickname). Kaia and her sisters were invited to compete in the Harpy Games (basically last harpy standing). Kaia not only needs to win in order to shed her nickname but she also faces her greatest enemy from previ
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LOTU and PNR fans
Gena Showalter is one of my all time favorite authors. The worlds that creates are so real that one can't help but get swept away while reading about them. She never disappoints me. The Darkest surrender is just one more fantastic example of this!

To tell you the truth I had my reservations about this installment of the Lord's series. Strider wasn't exactly one of my favorite characters. He seemed way too egotistical to me and that didn't exactly float my boat you know what I mean? In this boo
Jen Davis
I didn't care much for Strider early on in this series. It wasn't until The Darkest Secret that I ever really gave him much thought at all. Here, he charms me utterly with his over-inflated ego and inner dialogue. And while that may not sound all that attractive, I found him more endearing that I ever expected that I could.

As the story begins, Strider is working hard to resist his attraction to Kaia. At the end of the last book, she revealed that he is her consort, but he rejected her outr
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
This is the story of Strider who is possessed by the Demon of Defeat and Kaia, a harpy who comes into an interesting "other" power. If you've been reading all the books, you know that Kaia has been after Strider for quite some time but for some reason, Strider has resisted. There were a lot of great and funny lines in this book and the part about the necklace at the end was sooo sweet! Way to go, Stridey!

I do have to say that I really enjoyed the Kaia and Strider moments but they were too long
Nicole
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nicole by: PNR fans
Another Gem in the Lords of the Underworld series. I didn't think I would love this one so much but Strider was Hysterical... Ego check!

Any of these with the Harpy's are down right Laugh you Heine off funny. The men of this series are dangerous and sizzling hot and the women are powerful and strong.

I also liked the build up off the next Lords stories coming up, Next up.. PARIS!!!! Woohoo! Also Kain's story looks promising.
Alexis *Reality Bites*
I think Strider and Kaia may be my fave couple nxt to Lucien and Anya oh how i love kickass couples. Not to excited about the nxt bk i'm not a fan of the heroine Sienna but i'll still read it just to keep up with Paris and the other hero's lol!!! Loves this series!!!:)
Jenny
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS
The Darkest Surrender is the latest foray in the the realm of the Lords of the Underworld, a group of damaged and tortured alpha men so brilliantly executed their stories play out in crisp detail in our minds while our emotions are teased, tested, and tormented. Many times in a series of this length the books can become tired, following a set formula with characters and conflicts substituted in each installment, but Ms. Showalter manages to avoid this pitfall and keep us investe
Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥
Mar 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
I have to say I still don’t like the insta love. Sad fact, there isn’t a lot of quality PNR or UF that I haven’t already read. I’m forced to continue and try to look beyond this. Surprisingly, the storyline was more interesting though a bit predictable. The games reminded me of Kresley Cole’s games in her series with Nix and others. I might have given the book more stars if not for Kia. I thought the sisters were fearsome. The plot for this one coming out of nowhere as Kia’s beef with her Mom ne ...more
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Surrender (LOTU #8) 20 102 Sep 28, 2013 06:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add narrator 2 12 Jun 04, 2013 08:00PM
Great Addition to the LOTU (Something I noticed I have not seen mentioned) 13 162 Jan 06, 2013 09:49PM
bit random but fun! 2 34 Oct 20, 2012 06:35AM
Paranormal Romanc...: Contest and giveaway 1 21 Oct 03, 2011 01:59AM

• Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4)
  • Tempted (Eternal Guardians, #3)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
  • Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10)
  • Adam (Nightwalkers, #6)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)
“That's because I'm made of awesome."

"And dipped in awesome."

"And sprinkled with awesome."

"Gods, I love the taste of awesome.”
205 likes