Start by marking “Jane Austen - Four Novels: Sense and Sensibility/Pride and Prejudice/Mansfield Park/Emma” as Want to Read:

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Having chosen to publish anonymously during her lifetime, Jane Austen is enjoying extraordinary fame and fortune today as a best-selling author. In recent years, Jane Austen has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity-her books have been made into films, real box-office powerhouses, and gorgeous television mini-series starring some of the most notable actors of the day; she's a ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Thunder Bay Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen - Four Novels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen - Four Novels

Katelyn Buxton
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice
5 out of 5 stars

Review coming whenever I re-read it and can give a coherent account of why I loved it. :P

Sense and Sensibility
4 out of 5 stars

[Some spoilers may be contained. Mostly copied from my original review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...]
Well this was one of those books that was hard to rate. I dilly-dallied between giving it three and four stars for a while, but ultimately decided on four since what I did like significantly outweighed the parts I didn’t
Michelle
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually rate bind-ups/omnibuses 5*; as a whole - in regards to the physicality of it - it's very nice. This edition includes Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Northanger Abbey.

Sense and Sensibility:
[3.5/5] This is my second Austen read, after Pride and Prejudice. It was all right; I thought it was quite forgettable, and the ending felt too rushed. You can clearly see the contrast between the two sisters, Elinor and Marianne, one thought to represent sense and the other sen
Caitlin
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
This was my first Jane Austen novel and I am 24-years-old.

I feel that I deserve to be punished for that statement, but it is true nonetheless.

I went into Pride and Prejudice completely blind. Unlike most people, I’d never seen the movies or even read a summary of the book. I knew they existed, sure, and I’d heard of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, but I didn’t have any idea what to expect going into it.

The truth? It was very difficult to understand initially. The way they wrote and spoke in tho
Ea Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Austen. Her name is practically synonymous with classic, understated romance, as well as comedies of manners with a subtle, sly sense of humor -- and the omnibus "Jane Austen - Four Novels" brings together four of her most enduring novels (although admittedly the overall list is rather small) -- filled with lovably flawed heroines, beautiful formal prose, and some rather unconventional love stories.

"Pride and Prejudice" become a problem when Elizabeth Bennett takes a dislike to the handsome
Jul 13, 2012 added it
I have been literally slogging my way through this book all summer!! I love the stories, however folks "talked funny" back then and I frequently get lost in the words. Lots of rereading because I am "going to understand this come hell or high water!!!"

Finished!!! And watched the movies again. Actually, having watched the movies first did help me understand much of the story. I feel if Jane could have gotten her point across in 200 words she went for 300!! Still, an interesting look at the life a
Michaela
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jane Austen's writing! I know some people find it hard to read, but I found it easier, or about the same, to read as to other authors of the age. Although, if you asked me what Northanger Abbey was about, I would say, "I don't know."
JoAnne Styger
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jane Austen, love the beautiful binding of this collection.
Alara Kuman
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed me and my thoughts of love and life.
Maria
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would prefer to immerse myself into a Jane Austin book than a bath any day!
Jessica Scott-Moore
It's a really nice edition very handy to have all her books in one volume! Well made and very attractive!
Mr. Darcy or Mr. Rochester? 1 5 May 20, 2014 03:01PM
  • No Escape Fom Love
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories
  • The Call of the Wild and Other Stories
  • The Manara Library, Vol. 1: Indian Summer and Other Stories
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • Oz, the Complete Collection, Volume 4: Rinkitink in Oz; The Lost Princess of Oz; The Tin Woodman of Oz
  • Tarzan of the Apes/The Return of Tarzan
  • Christmas Books: A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life, The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain
  • The Treasure of the Celtic Triangle (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #2)
  • P.G.D.P.C - Pengantin Gypsy dan Penipu Cinta
  • Lone Wolves
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...